Bradford Family

STEPHEN BRADFORD

Stephen Bradford was the progenitor of the Bradford family of Biloxi and Ocean Springs, Mississipi.  He was born in Connecticut and was decended from William Bradford (1590-1657), the first governor of the Plymouth Colony (1621), and Alice Hansen Bradford.  They were the first Bradfords to settle in the New World.

 

MISSISSIPPI

The Stephen Bradford family homesteaded on the eastside of the Pascagoula River north of Moss Point, Jackson County, Mississippi.  In 1837 and 1841, James Fitch Bradford patented Lot 2 and Lot 3 in Section 32, and Lot 3 in Section 33, both in T7S-R8W.  By 1887, the heirs of Lyman Bradford, the brother of James Fitch Bradford, who had acquired lands here in 1848, were selling tracts of land here.  Anecdotal information from Fred Bradford relates that the old Lyman Bradford home was located at Ocean Springs on East Beach just east of San Souci.  A small Bradford Family Cemetery also existed here. 

 

Stephen Bradford and ? were the parents of Lyman Bradford (1804-1858) m. Cynthia Ward (1813-1887); James Fitch Bradford (1806-1850+) m. Margaret Davis; Burissa Bradford (b. 1808) m. Benjamin Holley (b. 1810); and John Bradford (1817-1898) m. Burissa Jane Elder (1830-1917).

 

LYMAN BRADFORD

Lyman Bradford (1804-1858), a native of Montville, New London County, Connecticut, and settled in Jackson County, Mississippi, probably in the late 1820s.  He married Cynthia Ward (1813-1887) in 1836.  After residing in the Pascagoula area, he moved his family to western Jackson County acquiring land on East Beach at Ocean Springs.  Here Bradford built a large home in the vicinity of present day San Souci Avenue.  It is believed that when the newer Field Lodge was built here, it incorporated a portion of the old Bradford homestead.  This structure later was known as the Tuttle Home.

 

Lyman Bradford and Cynthia Ward were the parents of: Martha A. Bradford (1842-1887), Sarah Bradford (1848-1926) m. Reuben? Turner and Enoch N. Ramsay (1832-1916); Lyman Bradford (1851-1894) m. Eugenia Thomas (1858-1917); Sherwood Bradford (1838-1922) m. Eleanora Davis (1851-1938); Margaret Bradford (1846-1920) m. George W. Davis (1842-1914); and Mary L. Ramsay (1860-c. 1946) m. Andrew W. Ramsay (1836-1916)

 

Sherwood Bradford, was one of the first school teachers in the county.  He also served with Nathan Bedford Forrest in the C.S.A. cavalry during the Civil War.  His son, Fred, was named for a war time friend, Frederick Semmes.  Sherwood Bradford and family later went to the Vancleave area were he was the Postmaster (1882-1888), and farmer.  He also built the Vancleave Academy, one of the first schools in the region, as well as the Ezell Lodge and the Methodist Church.                                                                   

 

JOHN BRADFORD AND BURISSA J. ELDER

John Bradford (1817-1898) was born at Ocean Springs, Mississippi on May 20, 1817.  He married Burissa Jane Elder (1830-1917), a native of Moss Point, Mississippi.  There children were: James Fitch Bradford (1851-1853); Margaret Bradford  (1852-1954) m. Daniel D. Smith (1848-1927); John Comstock Bradford (1855-1928) m. Sarah Elizabeth Howard (1866-1904) and Nina Emma Smith (1873-1928); Sherwood Bradford (1857-1937); and Lyman Bradford (1863-1944) m. Pearl Roberts (1869-1928).

 

Biloxi Lands

John Bradford acquired land at Biloxi, Mississippi as early as August 1847, when he bought a large tract from Louis A. Caillavet and Margaret Fayard Caillavet for $200.  This parcel was 180 feet wide and ran south from Back Bay for 1847 feet to the lands of Adelle Delauney.  Augustine Fayard was to the west and James W. Elder to the east.(Harrison Co., Mississippi Land Deed Bk. 3, p. 420)

 

NOLA

John Bradford moved Burissa to New Orleans in 1850.  James Fitch Bradford, their first son, was born here in January 1851.  By the fall of 1853, the Broadford family had relocated to Biloxi, Mississippi.

 

Elder & Bradford

 

 

1893 Hurricane

The October 1893 Hurricane, sometimes called the Cheniere Caminada Hurricane, struck Biloxi with vengeance.  The Elder & Bradford operation like so many local piers, homes, sailing vessels and businesses, situated along the shoreline, suffered major damage.  A post-hurricane survey of the Elder & Bradford’s Back Bay sawmill estimated that losses and damages in the range of $4000.  The mill lost thousands of board feet of lumber and many logs, all washed out to sea by the hurricane’s high water.  Machinery utilized to process timber and lumber was also severely damaged.(The Biloxi Herald, October 6, 1893, p. 1)

 

CHILDREN OF JOHN BRADFORD AND BURISSA ELDER

 

James Fitch Bradford tombstone-Biloxi City Cemetery

 

JAMES F. BRADFORD

James Fitch Bradford (1851-1853) was born at New Orleans on January 25, 1851.  He expired at Biloxi, Mississippi on September 24, 1853.  No further information.(Tombstone-Biloxi City Cemetery)

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

MARGARET BRADFORD

MARGARET BRADFORD SMITH and DANIEL DUPREE SMITH

Courtesy of Susan Dupree Smith Wood-October 2011.

 

Margaret 'Maggie' Bradford (1852-1954) was born June 10, 1852 at New Orleans, Louisiana.  She married Daniel Dupree Smith (1848-1927), a Texan, in Harrison County, Mississippi on February 27, 1878.  By 1880, they were residents of Fannin County, Texas where Daniel D. Smith was farming with John Comstock Bradford, her brother.  Maggie would birth three children and lose one before 1900: Marianita 'Nita' Smith (1878-1960) m. Jacob 'Jake' Rosewell Spain (1878-1957); Calvin Smith (1884-1885); and Howard Dupree Smith (1887-1963) m. Merle Magdaline Ingram (1889-1989).(work of Louise Spain Penning; Harrison Co., Mississippi Circuit Court MRB 7, p. 1 and Fannin Co., Texas 1880 Federal Census R 1303, p. 35, ED 30)

 

DANIEL DUPREE SMITH FAMILY

[L-R: Howard Dupree Smith (1887-1963); Margaret 'Maggie' Bradford Smith (1852-1954); Nita Smith Spain (1878-1960); and John Lyman Spain (1901-1975). Courtesy of Susan Dupree Smith Wood-November 2011.

 

Circa 1895, Maggie Bradford Smith  and Daniel D. Smith relocated from Bonham, Texas to farm near Mesa, Maricopa County, Arizona.  They later moved to Gila, Arizona and for a time were in Turlock, California.  Maggie expired on June 7, 1954 at Tuscon, Pima County, Arizona.  Her corporal remains were interred in the South Lawn Memorial Cemetery at Tuscon.(Susan Dupree Smith Wood and 1900 Maricopa Co., Arizona Territory Federal Census T623_46, P. 5A, ED 32)

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

JOHN COMSTOCK BRADFORD

John C. Bradford

 

John Comstock Bradford (1855-1928) was born January 23, 1855 at Biloxi, Mississippi the son of John Bradford (1817-1898) and Burissa Jane Elder (1830-1917).  In 1853, John and Burissa Elder Bradford had relocated to Biloxi, Mississippi from Jackson County, Mississippi and remained here except for four years during the Civil War when the family relocated to Black Creek in Jackson County, Mississippi.  Their other known children were: Margaret Bradford Smith (1853-1928+) m. Daniel D. Smith; Sherwood Bradford (1857-1937); and Lyman Bradford (1863-1944) m. Pearl Roberts (1869-1928).

 

John Bradford began acquiring land at Biloxi, Mississippi as early as August 1847 when he bought a large tract on the Back Bay of Biloxi from Louis A. Caillavet (1790-1860) and spouse, Margaret Fayard Caillavet (1787-1863).  The parcel was described as having 180-feet on Back Bay and 20 arpents [3840 feet] deep.  Augustine Fayard was to the west; the lands of Adele Delauney to the south; and James W. Elder to the east.  The consideration was $200 for this approximate 16 acre lot.(Harrison Co., Mississippi Land Deed Bk. 3, p. 420) 

 

The northern portion of the large Bradford tract, i.e. that area of Biloxi north of Division Street; east of Reynoir Street; south of the Back Back of Biloxi; and west of Lameuse Street became the loci of the following late 19th and 20th Century developments:  Bradford Street, Elder Street, Back Bay Fire Company, Back Bay Community Center and Park, Gorenflo Public School, R.A. Fayard Seafood; Harrison County Health Center, Bayview Theatre-Bayview Lanes, a bowling alley, and Bay View Drugs.

 

John C. Bradford married Sarah Elizabeth Howard (1866-1904) in Harrison County, Mississippi on February 26, 1884.  Their children were: Burissa O. Bradford (1885-1906+) m. Ernest Hamilton; John Howard Bradford (1886-1920+) m. Bertha Bradford (1892-1920); James Sherwood Bradford (1888-1967) m. Frances Morgan (1892-1945); Mary V. Bradford (1898); Edwin Russell Bradford (1896-) m. Bertha Vasbinder (1892-1920); Ernest Pelham Bradford (1897) m. Estella Lottie Rose ; Thelma Bradford (1900-1930+); and Lyman Chandler Bradford (1902-1977) m. Beryl Morgan (1907-1988).

 

1893 Hurricane

The October 1893 Hurricane, sometimes called the Cheniere Caminada Hurricane, struck Biloxi with vengeance.  The Elder & Bradford operation like so many local piers, homes, sailing vessels and businesses, situated along the shoreline, suffered major damage.  A post-hurricane survey of the Elder & Bradford’s Back Bay sawmill estimated that losses and damages in the range of $4000.  The mill lost thousands of board feet of lumber and many logs, all washed out to sea by the hurricane’s high water.  Machinery utilized to process timber and lumber was also severely damaged.(The Biloxi Herald, October 6, 1893, p. 1)

 

Texas

John C. Bradford and family left Biloxi in 1888 for West Texas.  Settled near Del Rio in Val Verde County.  J. Howard Bradford employed with the Del Rio Telephone Company and is providing telephone service to the ranchers in this region. Sherwood Bradford married Frances Morgan on July 14, 1912 and made their home

 

Marriage

John C. Bradford married Nina Emma Smith (1873-1928) in 1906.  She was the daughter of Ira B. Smith and Emeline Brasher and a native of Mt. Vernon, Alabama.  Mrs. Bradford had been struck by an auto in El Paso, Texas approximately six months before her demise.  In Biloxi, she had resided on the old Bradford property on Lameuse Street where the Gorenflo Elementary school had been erected in 19  .  Nina S. Bradford’s corporal remains were interred in the Biloxi City Cemetery.  She was survived by Fannie Emeline S. Wolcott (1867-1957), a sister who was domiciled at 531 Porter Avenue.(The Daily Herald, September 7, 1928, p. 2)

 

Mississippi A&M College

John C. Bradford was elected a member of the Board of Trustees of Mississippi A&M College.  In September 1908, he was called to Jackson, Mississippi for a board meeting.  On the agenda was the letting of a contract to build a new chapel and other improvements at the Starkville campus of approximately $100,000.(The Biloxi Daily Herald, September 29, 1908, p. 8)

 

Bradford homestead and the Gorenflo public school

The John Comstock Bradford (1855-1928) approximate 6.5 acres homestead was situated on the west side of Lameuse Street between Bradford and Elder Streets.  He acquired this parcel from his mother, Burrisa Jane Elder Bradford (1830-1917), for $200, in February 1898. (HARCO, Ms. Land Deed Bk. 37, p. 475)

In June 1923, J.C. Bradford conveyed his large Lameuse Street tract to the Trustees of the Biloxi City Schools, W.F. Gorenflo (1844-1932), W.J. Grant (1875-1932), Elbert L. Dukate, Susan Snell Tonsmeire (1879-1953), and Lille Bourdon Devitt (1884-1951), for $10,000.(HARCO, Ms. Land Deed Bk. 138, pp. 466-467)

Here in 1923-1924, a school building designed by architect Carl E. Matthes (1896-1972) was erected. Initially called the Back Bay Elementary School its area of educational responsibility included: all neighborhoods north of the L&N Railroad from Caillavet to Lee Street, including the east side of Caillavet and the west side of Lee Street; and those areas north of Division Street bounded by Caillavet and Seal Avenue.

 

The First School Year

When classes commenced in early September 1924, the faculty consisted of Miss Alma Ritch, principal and 1st grade; Miss Evelyn McShane, 1st grade; Miss Pricilla Ritch, 2nd and 3rd grades; Miss Lizette Mackie, 3rd and 4th grades; Miss Irma L. Harvey (1898-1965), 4th and 5th grades; Miss Veronica LaCaze, English, geography, spelling, 6th, 7th, and 8th grades; Miss Inez Rich, arithmetic, history, writing, 6th , 7th, and 8th grades.(The Daily Herald, September 9, 1924, p. 3)

 

Mayor of Biloxi [1905-1906]

John Comstock Bradford (1855-1928) ran with no opposition for the 1905-1906 Mayoral term.  Biloxi city elections were held in December 1904 with the following results: Mayor: John C. Bradford.  Aldermen: 1st Ward: Edward S. Balthrope (1873-1939) and Harry Edwards; 2nd Ward: Joseph W. Swetman (1863-1937) and Charles Redding (1857-1926); 3rd Ward: T.J. Rossell (1861-1923) and C.M. Buckingham; 4th Ward: Henry Latimer (1855-1941) and Judson C. Batton (1869-1943); Alderman-at-Large- Edward Glennan (1854-1933); City Clerk- Orcenith G. Swetman; Treasurer-Percy L. Elmer (1873-1949); Tax Collector-Henry J. Meaut; Marshal-J.A. McKinley; Street Commissioner: Henry J. Guiterrez (1869-1953).  Board Appointments: Police Justice-Judge Thomas H. Gleason (1857-1935); Fire Chief- Louis E. Gill (1851-1919); Superintendent of Water Works- Joseph O. Laska (1863-1911); Water Rent Collector- Edward L. Suter (1866-1943); Health Officer-Dr. Walter J. Greaves (1868-1910+); City Attorney-W.H. Maybin.

 

Demise

John C. Bradford expired at Biloxi, Mississippi on December 31, 1928.  His funeral was held from 119 East Howard Avenue, the residence of his brother, Lyman Bradford.  Reverend Ben Ingram of the First Baptist Church led the funeral service at the Bradford home after which the Mason of Magnolia Lodge No. 120 took charge of the Bradford rites with a Knight Templar escort and the Elks Club in the funeral body.  Only two of his children, Thelma Bradford of Globe, Arizona and Russell Bradford of New Orleans, attended their father’s funeral.  His other four sons resided in West Texas and he had another daughter in Arizona and one in Texas.(The Daily Herald, January 4, 1929, p. 3 and January 5, 1929, p. 2)

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

SHERWOOD  BRADFORD

Sherwood Bradford (1857-1937)

[from Along The Gulf (1895)]

 

Sherwood Bradford (1857-1937) was born at Biloxi, Mississippi on     .  He was educated at the Mississippi Deaf and Dumb Institute in Jackson, MIssissippi.  Sherwood left Biloxi to work in Lake Charles, Louisiana abd southeast Texas.  He returned to Biloxi in 1887 and in July 1888, he built a blacksmith and machine shop on the NW/C of Jackson Street and Main Street.(The Biloxi Herald, July 28, 1888, p. 8 and The Daily Herald, July 17, 1937, p. 6)

 

Sherwood Bradford expired on July 16, 1937 at Biloxi, Mississippi.  His corporal remains were interred in John Bradford family burial plot the Biloxi Cemetery.(The Daily Herald, July 17, 1937, p. 6)

 

Sherwood Bradford Machine and Blacksmith Shop-Main Street and Jackson Street

[from Along The Gulf (1895)]

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

LYMAN  BRADFORD

LYMAN  BRADFORD

Lyman Bradford (1863-1944) was born at Black Creek, Jackson County, Mississippi on October 27, 1863.  His parents had left Biloxi, Mississippi to live here during the Civil War.  Lyman married Pearl Roberts (1869-1928), the daughter of Joseph M. Roberts and Sallie A. Glover, in December 1887.  Children: Lyman C. Bradford (1888-1920) m. Maud Foxworth; James Floyd Bradford (1890-1963) m. Margaret Krohn; and Paul S. Bradford (1894-1983) m. Ruth Gates (1899-1986).

Opened a general  merchandising store, sellling dry goods and groceries, on Back Bay in late November 1894.  Bradford's business was situated on the corner of Lameuse Street and Back Bay Road.

Lyman Bradford expired at Biloxi, Mississippi November 21, 1944.  Pearl Roberts preceded him in death passing on August 27. 1928.  Their corporal remains were interred in the Biloxi Cemetery.

 

BRADFORD

 

 

BRADFORD-O'KEEFE

 

Pearl Roberts Bradford expired at Biloxi, Mississippi on August 27, 1928.  Died in late November 1944.  Corporal remains enterred Southern Memorial Park cemetery at Biloxi, Mississipi.

 

                                                                                                                                                                                          LYMAN C. BRADFORD 
Lieutenant Lyman Comstock? Bradford (1888-1920), former Biloxi resident, who died at the Walter Reed Hospital in Washington D.C., Friday afternoon at 2 o'clock, draped in the American flag, was brought to the home of his parents in this city, this morning arriving on train No. 37 shortly after 8 o'clock from the national capital. The remains were accompanied home by Lieutenant Bradford's mother, his wife and brother, Paul, all of whom went to Washington to be at his bedside when he became seriously ill. Impressive services were held previous to the departure of the body from Washington by military officials.
 

The funeral of the deceased will take place tomorrow afternoon at 4 o'clock. The Masons of which Lieutenant Bradford was a member, with Mr. Tolle will have charge of the services. Mr. Bradford belonged to the Masonic Lodge No. 120 F. & A.M. He was also a Scottish Rite Mason and a Shriner. Lieutenant Bradford was was a member of Biloxi Lodge of Elks, members of which organization will attend the funeral in a body. He was a member of the Baptist church, members of which congregation will attend the last rites.
 

Lieutenant Bradford has seen three years of service in the United States Army. He first enlisted as a member of the first officers training camp at Camp Pike. From there he graduated with honors and was later sent to Camp Dix, New Jersey, where he embarked for overseas duty.  Remaining overseas four months, Lieutenant Bradford was connected with the 87th Division, and emploted as first assistant regiment adjutant and adjutant of his own battalion. Lieutenant Bradford was engaged in numerous tours of inspection while overseas. Returning to the States he was placed in special service and has traveled about the country extensively. When taken ill, he was sent to the Walter Reed Hospital for treatment. An operation was found necessary and death occurred some weeks later at a time when his condition was reported to be improved.
 

Lieutenant Lyman C. Bradford was a native Biloxian, 32 years of age, and was married to the former Maud Foxworth. He is survived by his wife and other relatives: Lyman Bradford (1863-1944) and Pearl Roberts Bradford (1869-1928), his parents; brothers, James Floyd Bradford (1890-1963) and Paul S. Bradford (1894-1983), all Biloxi residents. The death of Lieutenant Bradford was received in Biloxi with regret and the family have the sympathy of the entire community.

 

JAMES F. BRADFORD

James Floyd Bradford (1890-1963) was born      1890.  He married Margaret Jane Krohn.  Children: Bradford m. W.E. McDonald; Alfred J. Richter (19-); Mary Pearl Bradford; Sarah Jane Bradford; and James F. Bradford II (1939-1949).

 

 
 
PAUL  S. BRADFORD

Honored in late December 1964 by Magnolia Lodge No. 120 F&AM with lifetime membership in the Masonic Order.(The Daily Herald, December 29, 1964, p. 10)

 

NATHANIEL C. BRADFORD

Nathaniel Comstock Bradford (1835-1935) was born April 1, 1835 near Biloxi, Mississippi to James Fitch Bradford and Margaret Davis.  He left the Mississippi Gulf Coast with his family before 1850 as they settled in Upshur County, Texas where James F. Bradford farmed.  James F. Bradford and Margaret Davis Bradford had at least nine children of which six were girls.  Known daughters: Cynthia W. Bradford (b. 1832) m. John R. Russell in August 1854; Mary A. Bradford m. Joseph C. Preston in August 1855; Sophie Bradford m. N.A. Birge in September 1856. Their sons were: Nathaniel C. Bradford (1835-1935); George Bradford (1840-1850+); and Joseph Bradford (1848-1860+).

Nathaniel C. Bradford made his livelihood as a merchant and fire insurance agent.  During his lifetime, he and Francis Bradford (1840-1910+), his Alabama born spouse, and their children: Jennie Bradford (b. 1863); Claude Bradford (1866-1880+); Alice Bradford (b. 1872); and Nathaniel C. Bradford II (1879-1939) lived in Upshur County, Texas (1860); Jefferson, Marion County, Texas (1870); Weatherford, Parker County, Texas (1880); and Bonham, Fannin County, Texas (1900). 

In his old age, Nathaniel C. Bradford lived with Mrs. John Andrew Mattox, his daughter at Greenville, Hunt County, Texas.  He expired there on April 8, 1935 at the home his daughter.(The Daily Herald, July 7, 1935, p. 2)

 

 

REFERENCES:

The Biloxi Daily Herald, Business and Professional Men, (The Biloxi Daily Herald: Biloxi, Mississippi-1902), p. 53.

Cyril E. Cain, Four Centuries on the Pascagoula: History, Story, and Legend of the Pascagoula River Country,(The Reprint Company: Spartanburg, South Carolina-1983).

The History of Jackson County, Mississippi"William Bradford", (Jackson County Genealogical Society:  Pascagoula, Mississippi-1989), pp. 139-140.

T.H. Glenn, The Mexican Gulf Coast on Mobile Bay & Mississippi Sound Illustrated, (Delchamps: Mobile, Alabama-1893).

Chancery Court

Harrison County, Mississippi Chancery Court Cause No. 965, “The Estate of John Bradford”, January 1898.

Journals

The Biloxi Herald,

The Biloxi Herald, “Local Happenings”, June 23, 1894.

The Biloxi Herald, “Terrific Gale”, October 6, 1893.

The Biloxi Herald, “Local Happenings”, June 23, 1894.

The Biloxi Herald, “Local Happenings”, November 24, 1894.
 
The Biloxi Herald, “Latest City News”, January 8, 1898.

The Biloxi Herald, “Death of John Bradford”, January 8, 1898.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Necrological-Mrs. Sarah Elizabeth Bradford”, January 4, 1904.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “The City Election”, December 14, 1904.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “The New Board”, January 14, 1905.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Officers were appointed”, January 3, 1906.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Bond issue agreed upon", February 14, 1906.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Marriages-Bradford-Smith, April 24, 1906.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Personals", April 28, 1906.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Hamilton-Bradford", August 9, 1906.

The Daily Herald,"Biloxi Society and Personal Items”, April 12, 1911.

The Daily Herald,"Bradford boys prospering”, July 29, 1912.

The Daily Herald, “Estimable Lady taken by death”, January 10, 1917.

The Daily Herald,"Mrs. Howard Bradford dead", February 26, 1920.

The Daily Herald,"The death of Lieut. L.C. Bradford, Jr.", May 29, 1920.

The Daily Herald,"Lieut. Bradford's funeral yesterday", May 31, 1920.

The Daily Herald,"Bradford funeral held today", June 1, 1920.

The Daily Herald, “Public School Assignments”, September 9, 1924.

The Daily Herald“School Work Begins Again”, August 31, 1925.

The Daily Herald“Biloxi Has New School”, August 28, 1926.

The Daily Herald, "Mrs. J.C. Bradford dead", September 7, 1928.

The Daily Herald, "John C. Bradford died last night", January 1, 1929.

The Daily Herald,"Here to attend funeral”, January 4, 1929.

The Daily Herald,"Bradford funeral”, January 5, 1929.

The Daily Herald,"N.C. Bradford dead", July 7, 1935.

The Daily Herald,"Jimmie Bradford dies", January 26, 1949.

The Daily Herald"F.S. Bradford Dies", January 10, 1951.

The Daily Herald,"Bradford made life member of Masonic Order", December 29, 1964.

The Daily Herald, "Mrs. L.C. Bradford", May 29, 1968.

The Daily Herald, "Mrs. Ruth Bradford", August 10, 1986.

The Gulf Coast Times, "The Bradford Family", September 16, 1949, and September 23, 1949.

The Jackson County Times"Death of Mrs. Eugenia Bradford", September 22, 1917.

The Pascagoula Democrat-Star"Obituary [L.C. Bradford Jr.]", October 26, 1894.

 

 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

This information provided by Russell Barnes, 'Mr. Biloxi Schooner'.

1855 – Barge Kate, of New Orleans.  Official No. 14175

            Built on Bayou Volvitear, (Valvatin?) Jackson County, Miss., 1855

            Description: 30 76/95 tons; 64 ft. x 18 ft. 4 in. x 3 ft. 7 in. 

            One deck, two masts, square stern, square bow.

            1- Previously enrolled No. 1, Feb 9, 1856 at Shieldsborough, Miss. (Bay St. Louis)

            2- Registered (temporary) No. 74, May 9, 1857. 

                        Owner: Lyman Bradford, Jackson Co, Miss.

                        Master: Sherwood Bradford, Jackson Co, Miss.

            3- Enrolled No. 199, Dec 13, 1860, at Port of New Orleans, La.

                        Owner: Joseph Kaiser, New Orleans.  Master: Name not given.

            1- Enrolled No. 272, Dec 7, 1861. Owner: Henry Thomas Neal of Livingston Parish, La.

                        Master: Henry Thomas Neal (CS)

            2- Enrolled No. 24, May 4, 1865, having been altered in tonnage and dimensions. 

                        Description: 30.44 tons; 64.6 ft. x 18.4 ft. x 2.8 ft.

                        Owner: Henry Thomas Neal; Master: S. Fradenberg

            3- Enrolled No. 58, Oct 14, 1867, having been altered from a barge to a schooner barge.

                        Description:32.15 tons; 64.3 ft. x 18.5 ft. x 3.1 ft. 

                        Owner: Henry Thomas Neal; Master: J. M. White

                        Ship Records & Enrollments of New Orleans, Louisiana, Vol. V & VI, 1861-1870; WPA

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

LYMAN BRADFORD FAMILY CEMETERY

East Beach-Ocean Springs

LOCATION:  Lot 2, Section 32, T7S-R8W

HISTORY  

Lyman Bradford (1804-1858), a native of Montville, New London County, Connecticut, settled at Jackson County, Mississippi, probably in the late 1820s.  He married Cynthia Davis (1813-1887), the daughter of Samuel Davis and Sarah B in 1836.  After residing in the Pascagoula area, he moved his family to western Jackson County acquiring land on East Beach at Ocean Springs.  Here Bradford built a large home in the vicinity of present day San Souci Avenue.  It is believed that when the newer Field Lodge was built here, it incorporated a portion of the old Bradford homestead.  This structure later was known as the Tuttle Home.  After Lyman Bradford died in 1858, on December 21, 1887, Cynthia Bradford (1813-1887), Martha A. Bradford (1842-1887), Sarah Bradford (b. 1850), Lyman Bradford (b. 1851), Sherwood Bradford (1838-1922), Margaret B. Davis (1846-1920), and Mary L. Ramsay (b. 1860-c. 1946) conveyed the following tract to Agnes W. Salisbury:

Those certain tracts, pieces or parcels of land situated in fractional Section 32, T7S-R8W in Jackson County, State of Mississippi, and more particularly described as a certain tract, piece or parcel of land containing a half acre front on a Bayou at the eastern part of the Bay of Biloxi, and bounded east by lands of the grantors, west by lands of the grantors, and north by the Pine Woods, and more particularly designated as a part of said fractional Section No. 32, being the same tract conveyed by George D. Davis and wife to Lyman Bradford on the 8th day February 1848.  It is hereby agreed that the grantors reserve a lot twelve (12) by twenty (20) feet containing the graves of two family with the right to improve, protect, and visit the graves and agree not to bury but one more, and if they should so desire to remove the same from the premises they can do so.(Jackson County, Mississippi Land Deed Book 8, pp. 426-427)

Register

Lyman Bradford, Sr. (1804-1858)

Cynthia Davis Bradford (1813-1887)

James Fitch Bradford received patents on Lots 2 (NW/4 and SW/4 of NE/4) and 3 (NE/4 and SE/4 of NW/4) in Section 32, T7S-R8W, on 2-2-1837.  Lot 2 (NW/4 and SW/4 of NE/4), Section 33, T7S-R8W, 1-5-1841.(Jackson County, Mississippi Chancery Court Cause No. 743 A.W. Sullivan v. Eula Bradford, May 28, 1897).

REFERENCES:

Cyril E. Cain, Four Centuries on the Pascagoula, (The Reprint Company:  Spartanburg, South Carolina-1983), pp. 109-110 and p. 134

The History of Jackson County, Mississippi, "William Bradford", (Jackson County Genealogical Society:  Pascagoula, Mississippi-1989), pp. 139-140.

The Gulf Coast Times, "The Bradford Family", September 16, 1949.