Interesting Things

By Ray L. Bellande

Primary tabs

Biloxi Yacht Club

YACHTING

 

Early Regattas at Ocean Springs

Ocean Springs was the locale for some of the earliest competitive yacht racing on the Mississippi Gulf Coast.  In June 1853, the newly opened Ocean Springs Hotel of Dr. William Gray Austin and Warrick Martin was under the proprietorship of Enoch Everett (1813-1853+), formerly of the Verandah Hotel at New Orleans.  Mr. Everett hosted a regatta from the hotel from July 21 thru July 23, 1853.  The race course began at the hotel wharf and sailed around Deer Island from east to west.  The participants in this racing series and their boats were: John G. Robinson-Sylph; S. Story-Venture; Stingaree Club-Stingaree; Captain Walker-Sea Serpent; A. McIlhenny-Secret; J.O. Nixon-Eagle; Kate W. Dearing of Mobile-Edith T. Byrne; and Vision, also from Mobile.(The Daily Picayune, July 13, 1853, p. 2, July 18, 1853 and July 23, 1853)

The Creole, a steam packet, followed the race course with a contingent of ladies and gentlemen from Biloxi.  They were entertained by a musical band.  Prizes for this competition were on preview at Hyde and Goodrich’s in the Crescent City.(The Daily Picayune, July 13, 1853, p. 2)

The order of finish for the first race from Ocean Springs held on July 21, 1853 was as follows: Stingaree; Edith T. Byrne; Venture; Sylph; and Sea Serpent.(The Daily Picayune, July 23, 1853)

 

Edward L. Israel an Ocean Springs racers

Edward L. Israel (1836-1891) was born in Mississippi of an English father and New York mother.  He had married Anna ? Israel (1838-1880+), a native of Washington D.C.  The Israels had a daughter, Olivia Israel (1863-1880+), a Virginia native.(Fenerty and Fernandez, Volume  , 1991, p.    )

In June 1874, when Mary Bolls Allison (1827-1900+) subdivided her large lot overlooking Biloxi Bay and sold 2.60 acres off the southern end described as Lot 10 of Block 14, to Edward L. Israel (1836-1891), a New Orleans steamboat man and yachtsman, it commenced the occupation and chronology of another homestead on the Fort Point Peninsula.  Bishop J.C. Keener resided south of the Israel tract.(JXCO, Ms. Land Deed Bk. 1, p. 503) 

Today, this property is owned by Dr. Eldon D. and Dixie A. McClain and called Rebel Oaks.  The Israel-McClain place is situated at 343 Lovers Lane.  Its history follows:

Very little is known about the Israel family during their residency on the Fort Point Peninsula.  A reporter for a local journal commented that Edward L. Israel kept a span of fast iron gray horses to transport his carriage through the streets and lanes of Ocean Springs.  His pleasure was fast horses and boats.(The Pascagoula Democrat-Star, July 9, 1880, p. 3)

 

Yachtsman

Mr. Israel was well known in Gulf Coast yachting circles.  He was the owner of the winning boats in the first, third, and fourth classes races at the June 1878 Mississippi Coast Regatta.  Edward Austin (1840-1878), son of Dr. W.G. Austin (1814-1894), won the second class aboard, Xiphias.(The Pascagoula Democrat-Star, June 28, 1878

 

At the Mississippi City regatta held in July 1879, E.L. Israel’s first-class yacht, Lady Emma, was scheduled to sail a match race against A. Brewster’s, Susie S.  Israel planned to use John Carney of Mobile to pilot his vessel.  Mr. Brewster was to compete himself.  He had recently won two races and was favored to beat Lady Emma at Mississippi City.  A. Brewster waged $2000, while Mr. Israel exposed $1000 for the match race.  The railroad had set a $1.00 special excursion round-trip rate from New Orleans to Mississippi City.(The Pascagoula Democrat-Star, July 27, 1879, p. 3)

 

In May 1880, Edward Israel was preparing to enter four boats in the regatta at New Orleans.  By July 1880, he was considering sending one of his racing sailboats to compete in New York. (The Pascagoula Democrat-Star, May 21, 1880., p. 3 and July 9, 1880, p. 3)

 

Captain Israel sailed match races for the Southern Yacht Club at New Orleans against eastern yacht clubs in 1883.(Schieb, 1986, p. 36) 

 

Edward L. Israel (1836-1891) sold his home at Ocean Springs and 2.60 acres to Henry Clay Mendenhall (1847-1915) in September 1880.(JXCO, Ms. Land Deed Bk. 4, pp. 634-635) 

 

REFERENCES:

Oliver J. Counce, The Sesquicentennial of the Southern Yacht Club, (Franklin Southland Printing-Metairie, Louisiana-2000).

Flora K. Schieb, History of the Southern Yacht Club, Pelican Publishing Co., Gretna, Louisiana-1986).

The Daily Picayune, “Ocean Springs Hotel”, June 18, 1853.

The Daily Picayune, “Ocean Springs Regattas”, July 13, 1853.

The Daily Picayune, “Ocean Springs Regatta”, July 23, 1853.

 

BILOXI YACHT CLUB circa 1925

 

BILOXI YACHT CLUB

Time Line

August 1888-The Biloxi and Ocean Springs Yacht Club was organized through the relentless efforts of Colonel W.A. Fonda.  John D. Bachino, commodore; W.A. Fonda, vice-commodore; and T.K. Reed, secretary.(The Biloxi Herald, August 11, 1888, p. 1)

 

May 1896-Formation of a local yacht club proposed by the Benachi Brothers, T.P. Dulion, John Eistetter, Thomas H. Gleason, Ed Glennan, Louis Gill, Martin Green, John Johnson, Nicholas Voivedich et al.(The Biloxi Herald, May 9, 1896, p. 8)

 

August 1900-West End Yacht Club proposed at Biloxi by T.L. McGowan, Tony and Zio Benachi, and M.W. Murphy. The West End Yacht Club held a sailing skiff regatta at John Clark's wharf inlate  August 1900.  Participating skiffs were: Red Devil; Rough Rider; Swan S. Agnes M.; White Flyer; and others.(The Biloxi Daily Herald, May 7, 1900, p. 8 and August 25, 1900, p. 8)

 

August 1900-$25,000 loan from Chicago parties made by T.L. McGowan of Birmingham, Alabama.(The Biloxi Herald, August 29, 1900, p. 8)

 

April 1901-The Gulf Coast Yachting Association was formed at New Orleans in April 1901.  Albert Baldwin (1834-1912) of the Crescent City was its first president. (The Biloxi Daily Herald, April 30, 1901, p. 1)

 

May 1901-Organizational meeting of the BYC held at the Montross Hotel on May 2, 1901.  Officers elected and Theodore Brune (1854-1932), NOLA architect, presented plans for the new, 3000 sq.-ft. yacht club in front of the Montross Hotel.(The Biloxi Daily Herald, May 4, 1901, p. 1)

 

June 1901-Area in front of the Montross Hotel cleared of houses and bath houses by Mr. Owens, contractor.(The Biloxi Daily Herald, June 12, 1901, p. 1)

 

August 1901-BYC incorporated on August 7, 1901.(Harrison County, Miss. Chattel Deed Bk. 6, p. 369 and 2nd JD Charter of Incorporation Bk. 1, p. 647, The Biloxi Daily Herald, August 9, 1901, p. 8)

 

August 1901-BYC building completed in early August 1901 and was the only beach structure to survive the August 15th hurricane.(The Biloxi Daily Herald, August 11. 1901, p. 1 and August 16, 1901, p. 1)

 

October 1903-BYC members considered leaving the Southern Gulf Coast Yachting Association.(The Biloxi Daily Herald, October 17, 1903, p. 1)

 

March 1904-Former Commodore Dr. D.A. Nash (1858-1904) died on March 25, 1904.(The Biloxi Daily Herald, March 26, 1904, p. 5)

 

February 1907-T.P. Dulion (1861-1907), former BYC Commodore, expired on February 20, 1907.(The Biloxi Daily Herald, February 20, 1907, p. 1)

 

May 1915-Bathers at the Biloxi Yacht Club were robbed of coins left in their pants pockets while swimming.  Otis Morgan had $3 stolen, Bill Roof lost 40 cents and Lyle Dacey was missing 50 cents.  Will Ryan, keeper, is making an effort  to locate the thief.(The Daily Herald, May 15, 1922, p. 3)

 

September 1915-The Biloxi Yacht Club building was destroyed on September 29, 1915 by a hurricane.

 

January 1916

 

January 1917-BYC incorporated on January 31, 1916.(Harrison County, Miss. Chattel Deed Bk. 59, p. 77 and 2nd JD Charter of Incorporation Bk. 7, p. 81)

 

1919-Rathborne DeBuys (1874-1930+), NOLA architect and engineer and SYC member, designed the Fishboat, which became the one-design race boat for the GCYA.  It was replaced by the Flying Scot in 1969.

 

1921-Williard L. Via (1855-1921), former BYC commodore, expired at Mobile, Alabama on January 26, 1921.(The Daily Herald, Jauary 26, 1921, p. 4)

 

1922-The Lady Fish and Pompano, BYC’s initial Fish Class boats, built by Anson Holley (1882-1967) on Back Bay for $1020, were launched in late June.(The Daily Herald, June 29, 1922, p. 2)

 

1923-BYC Regatta featured in the Rudder and Boating magazimes.  Articles written by Anthony V. Ragusin of the Biloxi Chamber of Commerce with images by Southland Studios.(The Daily Herald, August 20, 1923, p. 3)

 

1937-The BYC won the 16th Sir Thomas Lipton Cup Regatta at Gulfport in September edging the Bucaneer YC of Mobile.  Alf Dantzler Jr. (1915-2005) sailed one of the greatest races of his career in the final race.(The Daily Herald, September 6, 1937, p. 1)

On June 14, 1937, the woman of the BYC met and organized a group of club ladies to promote an interest in women to take a more active interest in sailing and support club activities.  Mrs. George Stannus Jr.  and Lydia Bailey O'Mara (1906-1991) were the impetus for this movement.(The Daily Herald, June 16, 1937, p. 7)

 

1940-Byrd Enochs (1875-1940) expired on February 29, 1940.

 

1942-In mid-March, the US Weather Bureau [Atlanta, Georgia] removed its record keeping site from the Biloxi Yacht Club to Keesler Field. J.G. Manuel of the Civil Aeronautics Authority was placed in charge of recording daily weather phenomena. John Grady had kept the weather data at the BYC. It was believed that weather conditions with exposure over water were not exactly indicative of the temperature over the city.(The Daily Herald, March 20, 1942, p. 5)

 

1943-Mary C. Holmes, spouse of Robert H. Holmes, conveyed the riparian lot on ‘Elmer’s Flats’ that she owned in the Biloxi Channel to the BYC.  It had a ninety-six foot front on the water and ran north to the seawall. Wallace Chapman (1903-1982) was Commodore of the BYC at this time.(Harrison County, Miss. Land Deed Bk. 254, p. 249)

 

1953-Former Commodore, Douglas T. Watson (1884-1953), died at NOLA on May 16, 1953.(The Daily Herald, May 18, 1953, p. 15)

 

1969-Hurricane Camille destroys BYC at Elmer’s Flats.

 

1982-Wallace Chapman (1903-1982) died at Biloxi on September 1982.(The Daily Herald, September  , 1982, p. )

 

2005-Hurricane Katrina destroys BYC on East Beach.

 

2008-Construction starts on new BYC on East Beach.

 

2009-New BYC opens on East Beach on April 4th.(The Sun Herald, April 5, 2009, p. A7)

 

BYC COMMODORES

1901- Theodore P. Dulion (1861-1907)

 

 

1902-Daniel A. Nash, DDS  (1858-1904)

Daniel A. Nash, DDS

Dr. Daniel Arthur Nash (1858-1904) was born at Livingston, Sumter County, Alabama on December 10, 1858.  His parents were Preston G. Nash (1821-1880+), a Virginia born attorney and later Chancery Clerk of Sumter County, Alabama, and by birth and      , a native of North Carolina.

 

Marriage and family

In 1900, he married Elizabeth ‘Lizzie’ Carraway (1869-1935) of Jackson, Mississippi.  She was the daughter of John Chapman Carroway (1843-1901) and Arcola Carroway (1848-1933).  John C. Carroway (1873-1931), Mrs. Nash’s brother, was cashier at the Bank of Biloxi and later .  The couple had a child born circa 1901 that expired at birth. 

Professional

Painless Dentistry

Dr. D.A. Nash

DENTIST

Office in the Picard Building opposite the Opera House

BiloxiMississippi

Teeth pulled and extracted without pain.  My method is a simple discovery scientifically applied and perfectly harmless.

(The Biloxi Herald, July 22, 1893, p. 1)

 

Politics

Elected Alderman-at-Large and served in this capacity in 1895? And 1896.(The Biloxi Herald, February 18, 1896, p. 1)

In 1900, the Carroway family lived on Front Street at Biloxi.(1900 Harrison County, Mississippi Federal Census T623 808, p. 1A, ED 31)

 

Mayoral appointment

With the resignation of Mayor Harry T. Howard, Dr. Daniel A. Nash, Alderman of Ward 3, was appointed Mayor of Biloxi by Governor Anselm J. McLauren (1848-1909).  After resigning his position as City alderman, Daniel A. Nash took the oath of office on September 5, 1899.(The Biloxi Daily Herald, 

 

Yachtsman

Dr. Nash was heavily involved in the Biloxi Yacht Club and Southern Gulf Yachting Association.  He served as Commodore of the BYC and

 

Urania

Dr. Nash and William Via owned the swift racing, yacht Urania.  At the 1903 Annual Gulfport Yacht Club Regatta, they decided not to sail Urania to defend the GCYA cup held by the Biloxi Yacht Club.  The owners felt that their craft could win the upcoming Gulfport regatta, but were offended by criticism resulting from the Bay-Waveland race in which Mr. Via’s piloting of the Urania met with scrutiny.  William Nels Johnson (1864-1903+), the builder of Urania, had sailed her to six wins in seven matches against all comers.  The boat had new sails and the owners felt that she had no other rival on the Mississippi Coast except the Gladiola.  Dr. Nash commented that the Urania was for sale.(The Biloxi Daily Herald, July 29, 1903, p. 1) 

 

Nash home and Fire

In the spring of 1897, Dr. Nash let a contract to William P. Burke (1858-1924) to erect a six-room cottage in the Keller Addition Subdivision on the Biloxi front beach.  John C. Carraway, his brother-in-law, was also having his residence built nearby by John R. Harkness (1827-1903).(The Biloxi Herald, April 3, 1897, p. 1)

 

Dr. Nash’s beach front domicile west of the Biloxi Cemetery was destroyed in a large conflagration on February 10, 1902.  Faulty electric wiring was believed to be the origin of the fire.  Dr. Nash escaped from the burning structure with a minimal amount of clothing on his person.  The vacant Judge H.C. Turley home adjacent to the Nash place was saved by a volunteer bucket brigade.  Dr. Nash estimated his losses at $5000, which included many painting and silverware.  He carried $3000 in insurance with the Swan Agency.(The Biloxi Daily Herald, February 11, 1902, p. 1)

 

It is interesting to note that Judge H.C. Turley was appointed Postmaster at Natchez in April 1897 during the William McKinley (1843-1901) presidential administration.  Judge Turley was Republican National Committeeman for Mississippi from 1900 to February 1904.(The Biloxi Herald, April 3, 1897, p. 1 and The New York Times, February 28, 1904, p. 1)

 

In June 1902, Dr. Nash and family took up quarters at the Montross Hotel on the Biloxi waterfront.  They later relocated to a home on the corner of Howard Avenue and Couevas Street.  In late August 1903, he planned to hold a fire works celebration at his home for the children of Ward 2, if James K. Vardaman (1861-1930) was elected Governor of Mississippi.  Mr. Vardaman was elected and served one term as Governor.(The Biloxi Daily Herald, June 30, 1902, p. 8 and August 27, 1903, p. 6)

 

D.A. Nash

Doctor of Dental Surgery

Hours 8:30 a.m-6:00 p.m.

Office upstairs Bank of Biloxi building

(The Biloxi Daily Herald, October 21, 1903, p. 4)

 

Accidental death

Dr. Daniel A. Nash expired at his Biloxi residence in late March 1904.  He was accidentally shot to death with his own shot gun.  The funeral was held at his Couevas Street residence with the Reverend H.W. Van Hook of the Biloxi Methodist Church presiding.  Dr. Nash was eulogized by The Biloxi Daily:in his death the City of Biloxi has lost a useful and progressive citizen who had the future of the place he had adopted as his home close to his heart.”  His corporal remains were interred in the Biloxi Cemetery.(The Biloxi Daily Herald, March 26, 1904, p. 5 and The Progress, April 2, 1904, p. 4)

 

Elizabeth C. Nash and H.D. Lowd

In May 1908, Elizabeth ‘Lizzie’ Carraway Nash married Howard Dickson Lowd (1860-1910) at Biloxi.  Howard was her childhood sweetheart in Jackson, Mississippi.  Initially, he made his livelihood in the newspaper business as a printer’s apprentice and bookkeeper for The Clarion at Jackson.  In 1886, Howard D. Lowd commenced his own journal, The Daily Advertiser.  It failed after two years and he went to Washington D.C. to work for the Government Printing Office.  In 1907, H.D. Lowd returned to his native Jackson to become manager of The Daily News composing room.  He became telegraph editor before relocation to Birmingham, Alabama to work in a similar post with The Birmingham Ledger. Howard D. Lowd expired in the nation’s Capitol in January 1910.(The Daily Herald, January 12, 1910, p. 8)

 

Lizzie Carroway Nash Lowd and her mother eventually relocated to St. Louis, Missouri.  They were residence of the Washington Hotel in 1930 and of the Monterrey Hotel in August 1931, when John C. Carroway, her brother, expired at St. Louis on July 30, 1931.  His corporal remains were sent to Biloxi, Mississippi for internment in the family plot in the Biloxi Cemetery.(1930 St. Louis Co., Missouri Federal Census R1244, pp. 8A and 8B, ED 218 and The Daily Herald, August 6, 1931)

 

REFERENCES:

 The Biloxi Daily Herald, Business and Professional Men, (The Biloxi Daily Herald: Biloxi, Mississippi-1902), p. 53.

Journals

The Biloxi Herald, “A Fish Story”, July 1, 1893, p. 8.

The Biloxi Herald, “Advertisement”, July 22, 1893.

The Biloxi Herald, “Local Happenings”, December 28, 1894.

The Biloxi Herald, “Woodmen of the World”. August 31, 1895.

The Biloxi Herald, “New Officers”, February 18, 1896.

The Biloxi Herald, “        ”, April 3, 1897.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “City Officials”, January 28, 1899.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Biloxi’ New Mayor”, September 1, 1899.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “City Council”, September 9, 1899.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “John C. Carroway dies”, April 21, 1901, p. 1.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Dr. Nash’s house burned to the ground last night”, February 11, 1902.

The Biloxi Herald, “City News”, June 29, 1902.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Senator McLaurin”, October 21, 1902.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Races Saturday”, August 19, 1902.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Bank of Biloxi”, May 2, 1903.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, Urania will not enter”, July 29, 1903.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Firework-If”, August 27, 1903.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Advertisement”, October 21, 1903.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Dr. Nash Killed”, March 26, 1904.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Funeral of Dr. Nash”, March 28, 1904.

The Clarion [Jackson, Mississippi], “Mortuary Notice”, April 27, 1887.

The Daily Herald, “Howard D. Lowd dies at Capital”, January 12, 1910.

The Daily Herald, “Weekly list of deed filed”, September 27, 1912.

The Daily Herald, “John Carraway (sic) buried”, August 6, 1931.

The Daily Herald, “Arcola Carroway”, September   , 1933.

The Daily Herald, “Lizzie C. Lowd”, June    , 1935.

The New York Times, “Southern Republican quits”, February 28, 1904.

The [Ocean Springs] Progress, “Personal News Interest”, April 2, 1904, p. 4

 

1903-Williard L. Via (1855-1921)

 

 

1904-Ulysse Desporte (1861-1927)

 

1905-Ernest Desporte Sr.

 

1906-Theodore P. Dulion (1861-1907)

 

1907-Williard L.Via (1855-1921)

 

1908-Isidore Heidenheim (1859-1918)

 

 

1909-John J. Kennedy

 

1910s

1910-Edward L. Brady (1869-1939)

1911-Edward L. Brady (1869-1939)

1912-William P. Kennedy

1913-William P. Kennedy

1914-Julius M. Lopez

1915-Douglas Watson (1884-1953)

1916-Douglas Watson

1917-Douglas Watson-

1918-John J. Kennedy

1919-T.K. Devitt

 

1920s

1920-Andrew Swanzy

1921-Byrd Enochs (1875-1940)

1922-J.P. Moore Jr.

1923-Dr. Albert Brown Russ (1888-1953)

1924-Edward E. Elmer

1925-F.G. Collins

1926

1927-W.L. Leach (1870-1949)

1928-Thomas J. Wiltz (1870-1940)

1929

1930s

1930-Ernest Desporte

1931-Erneste Desporte

1932-G.E. Moore

1933-Robert H. Pringle (1904-1981)

1934-William P. Kennedy II

1935-W.L. Barbour

1936-F.C. Goodman

1937-George D. Stannus (1880-1938+)

1938-Emery Farish Sadler (1899-1959)

1939-Eldon Bolton (1910-1990)

1940s

1940-Alfred L. Dantzler (1915-2005)

1941-Robert H. Brodie (1902-1992)

1942-Dr. Braxton B. O’Meara (1896-1969)

 

1943-Wallace Chapman (1903-1982)

1944- Wallace Chapman (1903-1982), commodore; Carl Matthes, rear commodore;

1945- Wallace Chapman (1903-1982)

1946- Wallace Chapman (1903-1982)

1947-James W. Pringle (1914-1971)

1948-Carl L. Matthes (1896-1972)

1949-Edward Craft Tonsmeire (1911-1972)

1950s

1950-John B. Joyce (1909-1970)

1951-Fred B. Ferson (1897-1969)

1952-Thomas C. Kemp

1953-Walter Seymour

1954-Victor B. Pringle (1909-1977)

1955-Phillip A. Joullian  (1898-1976)

1956-Curtis  P. Sinkhorn (1920-2000)

1957-Lee Victor Pringle Jr. (1902-1974)

 
 
 
1958-Harry J. Schmidt Sr. MD (1905-1997)
 
 
 
 
 
 
1959-W.W. Gillis (1920-2008)
1960s
 
1960-Fielding H. Staley (1912-1963)
 
1961-W.P. Kennedy

1962-Lawrence C. Corban

1963-J. Baltar Holland-

1964
 
Charles Dixie Hollis (1928-2013)
 
Charles 'Dixie' Hollis (1928-2013) expired at Biloxi on September 6th.  Dixie was the son of Dr. Daniel L. Hollis (1893-1975) and Vola Elizabeth Cummings Hollis (1897-1994). He graduated from BHS with the Class of 1946 where he played football and ran track.  Dixie matriculated to the University of Alabama and graduated from Ole Miss where he lettered in track.  Mr. Hollis was active in the civic and social life of Biloxi and was Commodore of the BYC in 1964.  He worked for the Veterans Admnistration from 1955 until his retirement in 1992.(The Sun Herald, September 8, 2013, p. A12)
 
 
1965
Legrand J. Audion, MD (1918-1998)
 
Legrand J. Audion, MD (1918-1998)
 
1966
Jerry J. Ellis
 
1967-Emile J. Fallo Jr.
 
1968-Eugene A. Peresich Jr.
 
1969-Julius 'Jay' M. Lopez II (1908-1996)

1970s

1970-Owen B. Munro (1921-1980)

1971-Owen B. Munro (1921-1980)

1972-Gerald  J. Quave

1973-Gerald  J. Quave

1974-Harry J. Joachim

1975-Robert J. Schmidt, MD
 
1976-Strevey A. Williams

1977-John E. May Jr. and James H. Neirynck

 
John E. May Jr.
 
 
1978
 

James H. “Jim” Neirynck (1928-2014)

James H. “Jim” Neirynck (1928-2014), native of Bloomington, Illinois, passed on June 2, 2014 in Biloxi.  He graduated from Quincy College in Quincy, Illinois, then served as a Staff Sergeant in the United States Air Force during the Korean War. He was a longtime general contractor who built numerous homes and businesses on the Gulf Coast. Jim was a member of the Biloxi Yacht Club for more than 35 years where he was an avid sailor and served as Commodore for 2 years. Jim was also a member of the Mississippi Home Builders Association, Ocean Springs Rotary and St. Alphonsus Catholic Church.(The Sun Herald, June 11, 2014, p. A-4)

 

1979-William F. Wyatt

1980s

1980-Jerry J. Ellis

1981-Jerry J. Ellis
 
1982-Ralph Pringle

1983-William Pontius, MD

1984-Clark D. Shaughnessy Jr.

1985-Larry Manuel
 
1986-Eddie Migues 
 
1987-Thomas Wiltz
 
1988-Walter T. Bolton
 
1989-Walter T. Bolton
 
1990s

1990-Michael McDermott

1991-Harry J. Geller

1992-Otto E. Larsen
 
1993-Otto E. Larsen
 
1994-William P. Kennedy IV
 
1995-Winfield Scott
 
1996-Lester Lala
 
1997-Lester LaLa
 
1998-James Taylor
 
1999-Mark Ederer

2000s

 

2000-Richard C. Schmidt Jr.

2001-Robert J. Schmidt Jr.

2002-Gavin Schmidt

2003-Jude McDonnell

2004-Jude McDonnell

2005-Jerry J. Ellis Jr.

2006-Jerry J. Ellis Jr.

2007-James A, Graham III

2008-Robert Smith

2009-Robert Smith

2010-Gaylord Wilson

2011-Rocky Rhodes

2012-Jeffrey Ellis

2013-Barrett 'Barry' William Barq

2014-

2015-Todd Holman

2016-

 

 

HISTORY

Headley Frederic Sawford (1858-1920+), a native of Surrey, England, was involved with the early development of the Biloxi Yacht Club serving his mates as secretary for several terms.  He worked diligently to develop and promote the 1st Biloxi Yacht Club Regatta held in August 1900.  At the third Biloxi Yacht Club Regatta in 1902, he provided the Montross Cup, a three-handled, silver trophy that was a foot-tall to the schooner that won in the forty-foot and over class.   Dr. Daniel A. Nash (1858-1904), Biloxi dentist and Commodore of the BYC, gave the Nash Cup to the victor of the under twenty-foot catboat division.(The Biloxi Daily Herald, August 22, 1900, p. 1, August 13, 1902, p. 1 and August 19, 1902, p. 1)

1901

BYC Officers for 1901-02

John Carraway, pres.; John J. Kennedy, v. pres.; H.F. Sawford, sec.; Byrd Enochs, treas.; Theodore P. Dulion, commodore; George H. Dunbar, vice commodore; Dr. Daniel A. Nash, rear commodore; Dr. H.R. Bohn, fleet surgeon.  Other known members: Albert B. Austin; Ernest Desporte (1853-1931); Martin Haas; Isidore Heidenheim; Harry T. Howard; W.M. Levy; H.F. Sawford; and W.F. Swan.(The Biloxi Daily Herald, May 4, 1901, p. 1)

Contractor C.H. Owen said that the BYC will be fully completed this week.  He will open a keg of nails if there is no celebration.(The Biloxi Daily Herald, July 28, p. 8)

1902

BYC Officers for 1902-03

John J. Kennedy, pres.; J.A. Hattlestad, v. pres.; Byrd Enochs, sec.-treas.; Dr. Daniel A. Nash; William P. Kennedy, vice commodore; Frank Gorenflo, rear commodore; Dr. E.R. Bragg, fleet surgeon.  Other known members: Dr. H.R. Bohn; John Carraway; W.K.M. Dukate; T.P. Dulion; Frank Gorenflo; William Gorenflo; William Grant; William Griffin; Martin Haas; Isidore Heidenheim; Joseph Henley; Harry T. Howard; Oscar Johnson; J.B. Lemon; W.M. Levy; Arnaud Lopez; M.W. Murphy; H.F. Sawford; W.F. Swan; J.E. Swetman Jr. and W.L. Via.(The Biloxi Daily Herald, June 6, 1902, p. 1)

1903

BYC Officers for 1903-04

J.A. Hattlestad, pres.; W.H. Buck, v. pres.; Ed Suter, sec.; Sr. E.R. Bragg, asst. sec.; H.F. Sawford, treas.; Albert Austin, fleet capt.; W.L. Via, commodore; Frank Gorenflo, vice commodore; Oscar Johnson, rear commodore; Dr. E.R. Bragg, fleet surgeon; Martin Haas, measurer .  Other known members: T.P. Dulion; Ernest Desporte; James B. Lemon; John J. Kennedy; George Swan; and William Murphy.(The Biloxi Daily Herald, June 3, 1903, p. 8)

1904

BYC Officers for 1904-05

Isidore Heidenheim (1859-1918), pres.; J.P. Hogan, v. pres.; W.H. Buck, sec.; H.F. Sawford, treas.; Oscar Johnson, fleet capt.; Ulysse Desporte, commodore; Elbert Dukate, vice commodore; E.C. Tonsmeire, rear commodore; Dr. E.R. Bragg, fleet surgeon; Ernest Desporte, measurer; R.J. Lowery, asst. measurer.  Other known members: A.O. Bourdon; W.K.M. Dukate; T.P. Dulion; Edward Glennan; William Gorenflo; J.A. Hattlestad; David Holt (18722-1941); John J. Kennedy; and Walter Mackie.(The Biloxi Daily Herald, June 2, 1904, p. 5)

1905

BYC Officers for 1905-06

          , pres.; W.H. Buck, v. pres.; Ed Suter, sec.; Sr. E.R. Bragg, asst. sec.; H.F. Sawford, treas.; Albert Austin, fleet capt.; W.L. Via, commodore; Frank Gorenflo, vice commodore; Oscar Johnson, rear commodore; Dr. E.R. Bragg, fleet surgeon; Martin Haas, measurer .  Other known members: T.P. Dulion; Ernest Desporte; James B. Lemon; John J. Kennedy; George Swan; and William Murphy.(The Biloxi Daily Herald, June 3, 1905, p. 8)

1906

BYC Officers for 1906-07

Ulysse Desporte, pres.; W.L. Ellis, v. pres.; Sam Picard, sec.; W. H. Buck, treas.; V.J. Tucei, fleet capt.; Theodore P. Dulion, commodore; H.A. Janin, vice commodore; C.C. Neilsen, rear commodore; Dr. E.R. Bragg, fleet surgeon; Ernest Desporte Sr., measurer .  Other known members: (The Biloxi Daily Herald, June 6, 1906, p. 1)

The annual June regatta cup race was postponed indefinitely.(The Biloxi Daily Herald, June 6, 1906, p. 1)

1907

BYC Officers for 1907-08

          , pres.; W.H. Buck, v. pres.; Ed Suter, sec.; Sr. E.R. Bragg, asst. sec.; H.F. Sawford, treas.; Albert Austin, fleet capt.; W.L. Via, commodore; Frank Gorenflo, vice commodore; Oscar Johnson, rear commodore; Dr. E.R. Bragg, fleet surgeon; Martin Haas, measurer .  Other known members: T.P. Dulion; Ernest Desporte; James B. Lemon; John J. Kennedy; George Swan; and William Murphy.(The Biloxi Daily Herald, June 3, 1903, p. 8)

1908

BYC Officers for 1908-09

Isidore Heidenheim, commodore; Laz Lopez, vice commodore; Ernest Desporte Sr., rear commodore; H.A. Janin, fleet captain; Dr. E.R. Bragg, fleet surgeon; G.J. Wiltz, sec.-treas.; Ernest Desporte Sr., measurer .  Other known active committee members: Ulysse Desporte; Arnaud Lopez; H.F. Sawford; and Sam Picard. (The Biloxi Daily Herald, June 6, 1903, p. 4)

1909

BYC Officers for 1909-10

          , pres.; W.H. Buck, v. pres.; Ed Suter, sec.; Sr. E.R. Bragg, asst. sec.; H.F. Sawford, treas.; Albert Austin, fleet capt.; W.L. Via, commodore; Frank Gorenflo, vice commodore; Oscar Johnson, rear commodore; Dr. E.R. Bragg, fleet surgeon; Martin Haas, measurer .  Other known activecommittee members: T.P. Dulion; Ernest Desporte; James B. Lemon; John J. Kennedy; George Swan; and William Murphy.(The Biloxi Daily Herald, June 3, 1903, p. 8)

1910

BYC Officers for 1910-1911

Edward L. Brady (1869-1939); Louis Gorenflo, vice commodore; Oscar Johnson, rear commodore; H.A. Janin, rear commodore; Ulysse Desporte, fleet captain; Dr. W.T. Bolton, fleet surgeon; G.J. Wiltz, sec.-treas.; Ernest Desporte Sr., measurer .  Other known members: Ernest Desporte Jr.; Byrd Enochs; W.J. Grant; John J. Kennedy; M.L. Michel; and H.F. Sawford.(The Daily Herald, June 3, 1910, p. 8)

1911

BYC Officers for 1911-1912

Edward L. Brady (1869-1939); Dan Gorenflo, vice commodore; Henry Janin Jr., rear commodore; W.E. Kennedy, fleet captain; Dr. Frank Carroll, fleet surgeon; G.J. Wiltz, sec.-treas.; Ernest Desporte Sr., official measurer.  Other active committee members: Ernest Desporte Jr.; Byrd Enochs; Dr. Charles Brown; Dr. G.F. Carroll; Albert Gorenflo; and George Rhodes.  Newly elected members were: Albert B. Austin; Byrd Enochs; J.C. Elmer; J.E. Evans; Albert S. Gorenflo; John J. Kennedy; William P. Kennedy; and H.F. Sawford.(The Daily Herald, June 3, 1911, p. 1)

1912

BYC Officers for 1912-1913

William P. Kennedy (1873-1951), commodore; Julius Lopez, vice commodore; Dr. T.O. Hunter, rear commodore; Fergus Bohn, fleet captain; Dr. Frank Carroll, fleet surgeon; G.J. Wiltz, sec.-treas.; Ernest Desporte Sr., H.H. Roof, and Cleve Huggins, official measurers.  Other active committee members: Ernest Desporte Jr.; Byrd Enochs; Dr. Charles Brown; Dr. G.F. Carroll; Albert Gorenflo; and George Rhodes.  Newly elected members were: John E. Breaux Jr.; Julius Cahn; Fred M. Legge; H.L. Lowery; Charles Z. McKinney; A.P. Narbo; J.A. Osoinach; Frank M. Suter; Douglas Watson; R.D. Wigginton.(The Daily Herald, May 3, 1912, p. 1 and June 1, 1912, p. 4)

New pilings

In June 1912, the Gulfport Cresoting Company situated on Bayou Bernard shipped  to the BYC twenty-six, heavily cresoted pilings aboard theMable Dixon, W.P. Kennedy’s boat.  John Nichols had the contract to repair the yacht club before the large crowds expected for the annual regatta in July.(The Daily Herald, June 18, 1912, p. 8)

1913

BYC Officers for 1913

 William P. Kennedy (1873-1951), commodore; Julius Lopez, vice commodore; , rear commodore; Fergus Bohn (1878-1928), fleet captain; Dr. T.O. Hunter, fleet surgeon; G.J. Wiltz, sec.-treas.; H.H. Roof, official measurer and Ernest Desporte Sr and Cleve Huggins, assistant measurers.(The Daily Herald, May 21, 1913, p. 1)

1914

BYC Officers for 1914

Julius M. Lopez, commodore; Douglas Watson, vice commodore; , John W. Apperson, rear commodore; Fergus Bohn, fleet captain; John Eistetter, asst. fleet capatin; Dr. G.F. Carroll, fleet surgeon; G.J. Wiltz, sec.-treas.; H.H. Roof, C.P. Huggins and Ernest Desporte Sr., official measurers.(The Daily Herald, May 26, 1914, p. 1)      

1915

BYC Officers for 1915

Douglas Watson (1884-1953), commodore; vice commodore; , rear commodore; , fleet captain; , fleet surgeon; G.J. Wiltz, sec.-treas.;      

Membership [from journals]

          J.W. Apperson

          E.J. Breaux Jr. 

 

16th Annual Regatta-July 8 and July 9

 

 

1915 Hurricane

 

 

Rebuilding

In late October 1915, Commodore Watson laid the ground work for erecting a new yacht club at Biloxi to cost between $2000 and $2500.  J.E. Breaux Jr. and J.G. Wiltz were appointed to locate a site on Biloxi’s waterfront and Commodore Watson with John F. Eistetter, Byrd Enoch, and H.H. Roof were charged with acquiring architectural plans for the new facility.(The Times Picayune, October 21, 1915, p. 13)

1916

 

1917

 

 

1918

BYC Officers for 1918

John J. Kennedy (18-1949), Commodore; Fergus Bohn (1878-1928), vice commodore; Henry Piaggio, rear commodore; G.J. Wiltz, sec.-treas.  Board members: John J. Kennedy, chairman; E.C. Tonsmiere; Charles S. Holcombe; John S. Hord; Douglas Watson; Julium M. Lopez; and J.C. Elmer.  It was decided that a club member could only enter the yacht club with three ladies at one time.  Members serving in the armed forces and those called to service in the future would be exempt from annual dues.  There would be a dance on New Year's night.(The Daily Herald, December 29, 1917, p. 1)

The BYC applied for a new State charter and received it on January 31, 1917.  Incorporators were: J.C. Elmer (1888-1920), John S. Hord (1886-1949), Edward C. Tonsmiere (1879-1956), Gaston J. Wiltz (1873-1948), Charles L. Rushing (1881-1923), George C. Quint, and Douglas Watson (1884-1953).(Harrison County, Miss. Chattel Deed Bk. 59, p. 77 and 2nd JD Charter of Incorporation Bk. 7, p. 81)

1919

Thomas K. Devitt, Commodore; F.R. Gifford, vice commodore; Byrd Enochs, rear commodore; G.J. Wiltz, sec.-treas.  Board members: Julius M. Lopez; J.C. Elmer; George Quint; F.R. Gifford; J.R. Meunier; and J.W. Apperson.  Age  limit to join the BYC was set at 18 years and older.(The Daily Herald, January 25, 1919, p. 1)

20th Annual Regatta

2oth Annual Regatta held July 9, 1919.

 

1920

BYC Officers for 1920

Andrew Swanzy (18-19), commodore; Byrd Enochs, vice commodore; Julius M. Lopez, rear commodore; G.J. Wiltz, sec.-treas. Board members: John W. Apperson; Charles S. Holcombe; F.R. Gifford; and J.C. Elmer. The annual dues were raised to $8.(The Daily Herald, December 19. 1919, p. 1 and December 27, 1919, p. 2)

 

1921

Williard L. Via (1855-1921), twice BYC commodore, died at Mobile, Alabama on Jauary 26, 1921.(The Daily Herald, January 26, 1921, p. 4)

1921

BYC Officers for 1921

Byrd Enochs(1875-1940), commodore; ; J.E. Breaux Jr, vice commodore; W.P. Kennedy, rear commodore; Ernest Desporte, fleet captain; , Dr. G. Frank Carroll, fleet surgeon; G.J. Wiltz, sec.-treas.; Board members:  F.R. Gifford; Douglas Watson; J.P. Moore Jr.; E.S. Beale; F.W. Elmer Jr.; and J.W. Apperson.

Life members

In June 1921, the BYC had twenty-two life members: John W. Apperson; Alfred F. Dantzler (1870-1945); G.B. Dantzler. Lorenzo N. Dantzler (1866-1943); Elbert L. Dukate; Barney Eaton; Daniel J. Gay; F.R. Gifford; John S. Hord; C.P. Huggins; Ernest L. Jahncke;  J.B. Levert; Julius M. Lopez (1886-1958); John D. Minor (1876-1937); Henry Piaggio; D.G. Skinner; W.F. Swan; A. Swanzy; Douglas Watson; G.J. Wiltz; and John T. White.(The Daily Herald, June 27, 1921, p. 3)

W.H. Parham of the SYC was made and honorary life member and H.E. Gumbel was names honorary commodore for one year.  New member: Eugene A. Peresich.(The Daily Herald, December 28, 1921, p. 1 and p. 6)

1922

BYC Officers for 1922-1923

J.P. Moore Jr., commodore; Edward H. Gower (1863-1928), vice commodore; Dr. Claude B. Warner (1871-1959), rear commodore; Ernest Desporte, fleet captain; Dr. Frank Carroll, fleet surgeon; G.J. Wiltz, sec.-treas.  Board members: J.C. Baltar; J.E. Breaux Jr. (1882-1942); Byrd Enochs; Harold P. Flanders (1890-1940); F.H. Kimbrough; and L.H. Williams. New members: John Tujaque Jr.; Delauney Castanera; J. Narro Jr.; Earl Becnel; and Clark Astleford.(The Daily Herald, December 28, 1921, p. 1 and p. 6 and May 31, 1922, p. 1)

Anson Holley (1882-1967), Biloxi ship carpenter, builds the Lady Fish and Pompano, two fish class boats, for the September Lipton Cup Regatta at Pensacola (sic).(The Daily Herald,

Eastern Shore Yacht Club of Mobile won the Lipton Cup.  Montgomery Barkley Spottswood (1855-1942) and Edward E. Elmer sailed Biloxi’s two fish class entrants and finished out of the top three.  Two seaplanes, a Navy aircraft from Pensacola and that of Biloxi’s J.A. Whitted, entertained the crowd.(The Daily Herald, September 6, 1922, p. 8)

1923

BYC Officers for 1923-1924

Dr. Albert Brown Russ(1888-1953), commodore; E.H. Gower, vice commodore; A. Swanzy, rear commodore; G.J. Wiltz, sec.-treas.  Board members: J.T. White; H.P. Flanders; J.W. Apperson; Edward E. Elmer; C.M. Lanius; and D.G. Weir.(The Daily Herald, December 27, 1922, p. 3)

The July 1923 BYC Regatta was featured in Rudder and Boating, two national magazines.  The articles written by Anthony V. Ragusin of the Biloxi Chamber of Commerce with images by Southland Studios.(The Daily Herald, August 20, 1923, p. 3)

1924

BYC Officers for 1924-1925

Edward E. Elmer, commodore; H.P. Flanders, vice commodore; William P. Kennedy, rear commodore; G.J. Wiltz, sec.-treas.  Board members: W. Leach; Byrd Enochs;  Henry Cosman Eisendrath (1863-1943); Stanley H. Butte Jr. (1896-1976); W.F. Goodman; and Emery F. Sadler.  Annual dues raised to $10 per annum and the non-resident annual dues remained at $8 per annum.(The Daily Herald, December 27, 1923, p. 1)

1925

BYC Officers for 1924-1925

Francis G. Collins, commodore; Dr. Albert B. Russ (1888-1953), vice commodore; Byrd Enochs, rear commodore; G.J. Wiltz, sec.-treas.  Board members: Edward E. Elmer; W. Leach; Albert Mallard; John M. Grady; G.E. Moore; and Emery F. Sadler.(The Daily Herald, December 29, 1924, p. 1)

1926

BYC Officers for 1925-1926

Edward E. Elmer, commodore; Dr. John Franklin Detweiler (1861-1949), vice commodore; Dr. Albert B. Russ (1888-1953), rear commodore; Captain S.P. Edmonds, fleet captain; G.J. Wiltz, sec.-treas.  Board members: (The Biloxi News, July 11, 1926, p. 1)

27th annual regatta

1927

W.L. Leach(1870-1949), commodore; Albert S. Russ, vice commodore; Ed Elmer, rear commodore; ? , fleet captain; ? , fleet surgeon; G.J. Wiltz, sec.-treas. (The Daily Herald, June16, 1927, p. 1)

The Seabird, a 28-foot vessel with a 9-foot beam, yawl rigged, cabin sloop, built by Martin Fountain for Francis G. Collins and G.E. Moore joined the BYC sailing and motorboat fleet.  It was launched in April 1927.(The Daily Herald, April 9, 1927, p. 8 and June 27, 1927, p. 2)

Three commitments for 1928 Gulf Schooner Championship at the regatta.  Tommy Burns of the Edgewater Gulf Hotel, Ernest Desporte Jr. of  the Biloxi Rotary Club and E.C Tonsmeire of the First National Bank.(The Daily Herald, June 16, 1927, p. 1)

In August, Eddie Cannette, keeper of the yacht club, resigned and was replaced by John Grady.(The Daily Herald, August 26, 1927, p. 2)

1928

G.J. Wiltz(1884-1953), commodore; Ernest Desporte, vice commodore; Ed Elmer, rear commodore; , fleet captain; , fleet surgeon; Albert Bessey, sec.-treas.  Board members: W.L. Leach; Robert Pringle; W.B. Chapman; W.B. Parks; Ford Woods; and Stanley Butte.( (The Daily Herald, December 31, 1927, p. 2)

 

1929

, commodore; vice commodore; , rear commodore; , fleet captain; , fleet surgeon; G.J. Wiltz, sec.-treas.;           

1930

), commodore; vice commodore; , rear commodore; , fleet captain; , fleet surgeon; G.J. Wiltz, sec.-treas.;           

1931

 

), commodore; vice commodore; , rear commodore; , fleet captain; , fleet surgeon; G.J. Wiltz, sec.-treas.;           

 

1932

), commodore; vice commodore; , rear commodore; , fleet captain; , fleet surgeon; G.J. Wiltz, sec.-treas.;           

 

1933

W.L. Parks, commodore; vice commodore; , W.P. Kennedy, rear commodore; , fleet captain; , fleet surgeon; G.J. Wiltz, sec.-treas.;     

1934

W.P. Kennedy Jr., commodore; W.L. Barbour, vice commodore; Tom Pringle, rear commodore; , fleet captain; , fleet surgeon; A.H. Duston, sec.-treas.  Board: G.J. Wiltz; Professor W. Leach; Ernest Desporte; R.H. Pringle; H.P. 'Flindo' Flanders; and W.L. Parks.(The Daily Herald, December 20, 1933, p. 5)          

1935

commodore; vice commodore; , rear commodore; , fleet captain; , fleet surgeon; G.J. Wiltz, sec.-treas.;           

 

1936

, commodore; vice commodore; , rear commodore; , fleet captain; , fleet surgeon; G.J. Wiltz, sec.-treas.;           

 

1937

, commodore; vice commodore; , rear commodore; , fleet captain; , fleet surgeon; G.J. Wiltz, sec.-treas.;           

 

 

1938

E.W. Sadler, commodore; vice commodore; , rear commodore; , fleet captain; , fleet surgeon; G.J. Wiltz, sec.-treas.;    

 

 

1939

), commodore; vice commodore; , rear commodore; , fleet captain; , fleet surgeon; G.J. Wiltz, sec.-treas.;     

 

1940

), commodore; vice commodore; , rear commodore; , fleet captain; , fleet surgeon; G.J. Wiltz, sec.-treas.;           

    The BYC planned to revive the working schooner races and appointed Dr. Eldon Bolton, William P. Kennedy II and William L. Parks to arrange the contest to be sailed on July 3rd.(The Daily Herald, May 7, 1940, p. 9)

 

1941

), commodore; vice commodore; , rear commodore; , fleet captain; , fleet surgeon; G.J. Wiltz, sec.-treas.;           

1942

Braxton Bragg O’Mara (1896-1969), Commodore.

The spring meeting of the GYA was planned at Biloxi on May 2.  Commodore Dr. B.B. O’Meara; Wallace Chapman, vice-commodore and secretary; James W. Pringle, rear commodore and race chairman; and W. Leach, treasurer.(The Daily Herald, April 23, 1942, p. 2)

The Lipton Regatta was held on Lake Ponchartrain in early September.  The BYC tied for fourth place in this annual event. Attendees from Biloxi were: Commodore B.B. O’Mara (1896-1969) and Lydia B. O’Mara (1906-1991), his wife; Alf Dantzler and spouse; Mr. and Mrs. Wallace Chapman; R.H. Brodie; James Brodie; Lt. Tom Pringle; W.D. Stevens; Jack Baltar; Mr. and Mrs. Carl Matthes; Carl Matthes Jr.; Don Chamberlain; Tommy Kemp and wife; and G.E. Moore.  Lawrence G. Beauvais, Commodore of the Mobile Yacht Club, was seriously injured in his Crescent City hotel room by an intruder.  Mr. Beauvais was well known and regarded along the Gulf Coast for his sailing skills and as a businessman.(The Daily Herald, September 8, 1942, p. 10)

During WWII, the BYC did not elect officers after December 1942 until December 1946.  The club officials elected for 1943 served until January 1, 1947.  The BYC was rented to the U.S. Army Air Corps  for three and one-half  years during the  conflict.(The Daily Herald, December 11, 1946, p. 2)

   

1943

Wallace Chapman (1903-1982), Commodore.

The BYC decided to sell their four Fish Class boats.  They were 20 feet in length and fully equipped.  All sailing in 1943 would be done in private watercraft.(The Daily Herald, May 27, 1943, p. 2)

BYC won the Mobile Regatta held in late May.  The Biloxi team of Alf Dantzler, Robert Brodie, and G.E. Moore finished ahead of: Gulfport; Mobile; Pensacola and Buccaneer [tied]; Southern; and Pass Christian was last.  Ed Moore of Biloxi won the 2nd race.(The Daily Herald, May 31, 1943, p. 2)

1944

The BYC board accepted the offer of the Deer Island Boat Company to buy BYC four boats.  Southern Yacht Club is workin gon a new One Design class boat and the BYC may build the same boat after the War.(The Daily Herald March 4, 1944, p. 2)

1945

(The Daily Herald,  p. 2)

1946

Wallace Chapman was elected president of the Gulf Yachting Association at its annual meeting at Mobile.  He suceeds Major F.B. Wood, St. Andrews Bay(The Daily Herald, may 6, 1946)

1947

Nominees for the 1947 officers and board members of the BYC were:  James W. Pringle, Commodore; Carl E. Matthes, vice-commodore; E.C. Tonsmiere, rear commodore.   Governing board nominees were: G.B. Achorn; D.R. Fitzroy; John Joyce; Thomas Kemp; G.J. Wiltz; Wallace Chapman; and A.F. Dantzler. .(The Daily Herald, December 11, 1946, p. 2)

1948

(The Daily Herald,  p. 2)

 

1949

 

1951

William P. Kennedy (1873-1951) former BYC commodore and honorary commodore expired at 1008 West Beach, his residence, in December 1951. (The Daily Herald, December 24, 1951, p. 6)

1954

The year 1954 saw Commodore Victor B. Pringle (1909-1977) lead the BYC in a productive manner.  The yacht club was the recipient of major repairs.  The competitive racing schedule was full and highlighted by the annual Lipton Regatta.  Social activities of an eclectic nature filled the annual calendar.(The Daily Herald, December 6, 1954, p. 10)

1955

Philip A. Joullian (1898-1976) was elected Commodore for 1955 in December 1954 to succeed Victor B. Pringle (1909-1977).  Other elected officers were: Curtis P. Sinkhorn (1920-2000), vice-commodore, and L.V. Pringle, rear commodore.  Board of directors for 1955 were: Dr. Eldon L. Bolton; Walter Seymour; W.P. Kennedy III; Bert Holland; Joseph Creel; and Thomas Kemp.  Commodore Joullian made his livelihood as district manager for the Franklin Life Insurance Company.  He had been president of the Biloxi Lions Club and the Mithras carnival club.(The Daily Herald, December 6, 1954, p. 10)

1956

Dr. Eldon Bolton was elected Captain of the BYC Penguin Dinghy Fleet in December 1956.  The 1957 Regional Championships of the fleet were held at the Mobile Yacht Club.(The Daily Herald, December 3,1956, p. 17)

 

1967

In late October 1966, Emile Fallo Jr. was elected Commodore of the BYC.  Dr. Eldon Bolton was chef for the dinner which was served prior to the election.  Eugene Peresich Jr. was elected vice commodore and Julius M. Lopez was named rear commodore.  Mrs. William F. Wyatt was appointed secretary-treasurer by Commodore Fallo.  George Booth, Lawrence 'Larry' Corban, Henry Eikel, Dr. Harry Schmidt Jr., Chris Thygesen, and William F. Wyatt were elected to the board of governors.(The Daily Herald, October 29, 1966)

 

1969

Camille August

1971

BYC takes a lease-purchase on property known as ‘The El Capitan Lounge’ between Kuhn Street and   Street from the Mutual Security Life Insurance Company of Fort Wayne, Indiana on September 20, 1971.(Harrison Co., Mississippi  2nd JD Land Deed Bk. 20, p. 496)

BYC acquires from the Mutual Security Life Insurance Company of Fort Wayne, Indiana on September 20, 1971.(Harrison Co., Mississippi  2nd JD Land Deed Bk. 21, p. 577)           

1973

BYC borrows $23,000 in 1973. All liens with the Bank satisfied.(Harrison Co., Mississippi  2nd JD Trust Deed Bk. 52, p. 496 and Bk. 55, p. 514)

1978

BYC borrows $34,000 in 1973. All liens with the Bank satisfied.( Harrison Co., Mississippi  2nd JD Trust Deed Bk. 116, p. 494)

1983

William Pontius, Commodore??.

1984

Clark D. Shaugnessy Jr. elected Commodore.  Richard Smith MD, vice-commodore; William Pittman, rear-commodore.  Board members: Dallas Burns; Clinton Bolton; W. Gray Slay; Patricia Howell; Eddie MIgues; and Harold Catchot.(The Daily Herald, January  3, 1984, p. A9)

1986

 

1987

All liens with the Bank satisfied.(Harrison Co., Mississippi  2nd JD Trust Deed Bk. 20, p. 496)

 

2008

Construction starts on new BYC.(The Sun Herald, , 2008, p. A7)

2009

BYC opens on April 4th.(The Sun Herald, April 5, 2009, p. A7)

2010

Change-of-watch ceremony initiated in February 2010.  Gaylord Wilson, Commodore; Rocky Rhodes, Vice Commodore; and Jeffrey Ellis, Rear Commodore.  Board members: Barry Barq; Patrick Diaz; Mike Murray; Lois Richardson; Ronnie Tootle; and Jerry White.(The Sun Herald, February 13, 2010, p. A)

 

REFERENCES:

50th Anniversary Golden Jubilee, The Daily Herald  (1884-1934), (The Daily Herald: Gulfport, Mississippi-1934).

The Biloxi Daily Herald, Business and Professional Men, (The Biloxi Daily Herald: Biloxi, Mississippi-1902).

Oliver J. Counce, The Sesquicentennial of the Southern Yacht Club, (Franklin Southland Printing-Metairie, Louisiana-2000).

Flora K. Schieb, History of the Southern Yacht Club, Pelican Publishing Co., Gretna, Louisiana-1986).

Charles L. Sullivan, “Hurricanes of the Mississippi Gulf Coast: 1717 to present, (Gulf Publishing Co., Gulfport, Mississippi-19   )

Journals

The Biloxi Herald, “The Biloxi Yacht Club”, May 9, 1896, p. 8.

The Biloxi Herald, “Fun Today”, August 21, 1898, p. 8.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Local and Personal”, May 18, 1899.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Talk of a Yacht Club”, October 19, 1899.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Local and Personal”, December 15, 1899.

 

 

1900

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “City News”, July 3, 1900.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “City News”, July 13, 1900.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Biloxi Regatta”, July 21, 1900.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “City News”, August 5, 1900.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “West End Yacht Club”, August 7, 1900.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “City News”, August 9, 1900.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Regatta at Biloxi, Miss.”, August 12, 1900.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “City News”, August 17, 1900.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Regatta closed”, August 21, 1900.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Pretty things”, August 22, 1900.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Late Regatta”, August 22, 1900.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “The News”, August 25, 1900.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “City News”, August 25, 1900.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Southern Yacht Races”, August 28, 1900.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Money can be raised”, August 29, 1900.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Money can be raised”, August 29, 1900.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Additional locals”, August 30, 1900.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “A generous donation”, September 18, 1900.

1901

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “City News”, January 26, 1901.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Yachting Matters”, March 10, 1901.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “City News”, April 6, 1901.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “New Rules”, April 11, 1901.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Seashore Campground news dots”, April 14, 1901.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Summer Regatta”, April 17, 1901.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “City News”, April 20, 1901.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “City News”, April 24, 1901.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Yachting Matters”, April 26, 1901.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “A Yacht Club meeting”, April 30, 1901.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Successfully Organized”, April 30, 1901.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “The Yacht Club”, May 4, 1901, p. 1.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “The Yacht Club”, May 17, 1901, p. 1.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “The Yacht Club”, June 1, 1901, p. 1.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “A start made”, June 12, 1901, p. 1.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “City News”, June 20, 1901.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “City News”, July 2, 1901.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “All is satisfactory”, July 3, 1901.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “City News”, July4, 1901.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “City News”, July 6, 1901.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Regatta”, July 6, 1901.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Regatta”, July6, 1901.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Aftermath of the regatta”, July 7, 1901.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Aftermath of the regatta”, July 9, 1901..

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Charter of Incorporation of the Biloxi Yacht Club”, July 10, 1901.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “West End dots”, July 23, 1901.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “City News”, July 28, 1901.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Yachting on Coast”, July 30, 1901.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Biloxi Yacht Club”, August 6, 1901.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “City News”, August 9, 1901.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Juvenile Regatta”, August 9, 1901.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Magnolia Yacht Club [Juvenile Regatta], August 13, 1901.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “The Club House”, August 11, 1901.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “A Great Hurricane”, August 17, 1901.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Shipwrecked mariners”, August 18, 1901.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “City News”, August 21, 1901.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “City News”, September 1, 1901.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “City News”, September 1, 1901.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “City News”, September 8, 1901.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “City News”, September 9, 1901.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “The Yacht Club”, October 5, 1901.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “City News”, December 1, 1901.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “City News”, December 3, 1901.

1902

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Two Cups”, January 8, 1902.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Dr. Nash’s house burned to the ground last night”, February 11, 1902.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Signal Tower”, February 21, 1902.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Informal Dance”, February 25, 1902.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Spring Regatta”, March 6, 1902.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “City News”, April 13, 1902.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “City News”, April 17, 1902.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Mr. Carroway resigns”, May 2, 1902.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Biloxi Yacht Club”, May 8, 1902.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Cup committee meets here”, May 14, 1902.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “King’s Daughter’s”, May 23, 1902.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “First day session”, May 29, 1902.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “City News”, June 3, 1902.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Annual meeting of Yacht Club”, June 6, 1902.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Four cups offered”, June 10, 1902.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “First day session[Miss. State Underwriter’s Assoc.], June 12, 1902.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “City News”, June 13, 1902.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Special meeting of Yacht Club”, June 13, 1902.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “The Summer Pavilion”, June 14, 1902.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Regatta Ball”, June 15, 1902.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “The Summer Pavilion”, June 15, 1902.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Information and instructions for sailing Masters”, June 18, 1902.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Riley wins Herald’s Cup”, June 19, 1902.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Echoes of Cup races”, June 24, 1902.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “City News”, June 28, 1902.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Yachting News”, July 1, 1902.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “For Point Clear Regatta”, July 1, 1902.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “City News”, July 2, 1902.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Yachting Notes”, July 3, 1902.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, American Girl  wins”, July 6, 1902.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Biloxi boats carry off everything”, July 6, 1902.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Afield and  Afloat”, July 8, 1902.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Cannot Substitute”, July 11, 1902.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “City News”, July 16, 1902.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Additional Prizes”, July 16, 1902.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, Jolly Traveler  wins”, July 20, 1902.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “City News”, July 25, 1902.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, Urania loses again”, August 3, 1902.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “”,.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “”,.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Cup Regatta”, August 13, 1902.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Races for  the Soldiers”, August 13, 1902.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Boys Regatta”, August 13, 1902.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “The Cup arrives”, August 14, 1902.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Want to thank us”, August 15, 1902.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Races Saturday”, August 19, 1902.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Yacht Club meeting”, October 1, 1902.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “The Schooner yacht, Falcon, October 18, 1902.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Thomas W. Lawson”, November 5, 1902.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Attention, yachtsmen”, November 22, 1902.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Traveling”, December 6, 1902.

The Times-Democrat, Fanchon under sail”,July 30, 1902.

1903

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “”,.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “”,.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Why the change[SYC changed regatta vessel classification]?”, April 10, 1903.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Yacht Club meeting”, April 25, 1903.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Yacht Association”, April 27, 1903.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Yachting News”, May 4, 1903.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “City News”, June 1, 1903.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “City News”, June 2, 1903.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Yacht Club meeting”, June 3, 1903.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “City News”, June 4, 1903.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Local Cup Races”, June 6, 1903, p. 1.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Coast Yachting”, June 15, 1903..

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Biloxi Regatta”, June 15, 1903.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “A local regatta”, June 16, 1903.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Local cup races”, June 16, 1903.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “”,.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “”,.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “The Via Cup”, July 3, 1903.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “”, July, 1903.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “”,.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “”,.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “”,.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “A local regatta”, July 25, 1903.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, Urania will not enter”, July 29, 1903.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “City Items”, October 10, 1903.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Talk Secession”, October 17, 1903.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Gulf Coast Yachtsmen”, October 26, 1903.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Snakes in it”, October 27, 1903.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Yacht Club”, November 7, 1903.

1904

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Dr. Nash killed”, March 26, 1904.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “”,.

1905

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “”,.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “”,.

1906

 

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “”,.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Biloxi Yacht Club meeting”, June 6, 1906..

 

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Aftermath of Biloxi Regatta”, July 23, 1906.

1907

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Noted citizen  [Theodore P. Dulion (1861-1907)] passes away”, February 20, 1907..

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “”,.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “”,.

 

1908

The Daily Herald, “Regatta matters”, June 6, 1908.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Ninth annual regatta”, July 22, 1908..

The Biloxi Daily Herald, Henry M leads the fleet”, July 23, 1908.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, Henry M wins another race”, July 27, 1908.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “”,.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “”,.

1909

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “”,.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “”,.

 

1910

The Daily Herald, “Biloxi Yacht Club elects officers”, June 3, 1910.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “”,.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “”,.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “”,.

1911

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Brady is re-elected Commodore of the Biloxi Yacht Club”, June 3, 1911.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “”,.

1912

The Daily Herald, “W.P. Kennedy elected Commodore of Biloxi Yacht Club last night”, May 3, 1912.

The Daily Herald, “Outlook bright for Yacht Club”,June 1, 1912.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Piling here for Yacht Club”, June 18, 1912..

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Five hundred and fifty come on special excursion to Biloxi to witness Regatta today”, July 11, 1912.

1913

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Kennedy honored by re-election as Yacht Club head”, May 21, 1913.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “”,.

1914

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Yacht Club names officers at its annual meeting”, May 26, 1914.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “”,.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “”,.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “”,.

1915

The Daily Herald, “Twenty years ago today”, January 28, 1915.

The Daily Herald, “Yacht Club now urges for use of Biloxi tourists”,January 30, 1915.

The Daily Herald, “Glennan offers tourists room above his store”, February 2, 1915.

The Daily Herald, “Tourist Club executive committee to recommend use of Glennan store”, February 2, 1915.

The Daily Herald, “City Hall chosen by Tourist’s Club”, February 4, 1915.

The Daily Herald, “Most auspicious Mardi Gras in Biloxi’s history promised today”, February 16, 1915.

The Daily Herald, “’Back to nature Woman’ making tour of Biloxi”, March 2, 1915.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Officers named for Yacht Club”, May 22, 1915.

The Daily Herald, “Yacht Club to meet”, May 19, 1915.

The Daily Herald, “Yacht Club dance”, June 2, 1915.

The Daily Herald, “Yacht Club meeting”, June 3, 1915.

The Daily Herald, “Yacht Club improvements”, June 5, 1915.

The Daily Herald, “Harry Haise gets contract”, June 8, 1915.

The Daily Herald, “Discuss prizes at today’s meet”, June 9, 1915.

The Daily Herald, “Regatta committee to meet tomorrow”, June 10, 1915.

The Daily Herald, “Regatta committee at its session yesterday afternoon plans prizes”, June 12, 1915.

The Daily Herald, “Rates are offered for the Regatta”, June 30, 1915.

The Daily Herald, “Prizes arranged for the Regatta”, July 1, 1915.

The Daily Herald, “Soliciting work being  pushed”, July 2, 1915.

The Daily Herald, “Fast boat coming”, July 5, 1915.

The Daily Herald, “Dance for visiting yachtsmen”, July 6, 1915.

The Daily Herald, “Preparations completed for Biloxi Regatta to begin tomorrow”, July 6, 1915.

The Daily Herald, “Biloxi Harbor is scene of activity for the Regatta”, July 7, 1915.

The Daily Herald, “H. Brazier’s [sic] Wonder  is winner in schooner race”, July 8, 1915.

The Daily Herald, “Two speed boats [Maid of Orleans and Petit Kalolah] are entered for Regatta contest”, July 8, 1915.

The Daily Herald, “Urchins thrown into water”, July 8, 1915.

The Daily Herald, “Regatta goes out in blaze of glory at Riviera dance”, July 9, 2009.

The Daily Herald, “Club dormitory being discussed”, July 9, 1915.

The Daily Herald, “Yacht Club meeting”, August 18, 1915.

The Times Picayune, , “To rebuild Club”, October 21, 1915.

1916

The Daily Herald, “Yacht Club designed; ready to solicit funds”, February 17, 1916.

The Daily Herald, “Club House soon to be completed”, September 11, 1916.

The Daily Herald, “Biloxi Yacht Club work progressing”, October 20, 1916.

The Daily Herald, “New Yacht Club about finished”, October 28, 1916.

The Daily Herald, “To have opening”, November 21, 1916.

The Daily Herald, “Yacht Club opening on Jan. 3”, December 20, 1916.

The Daily Herald, “”,

The Daily Herald, “”,

The Jackson County Times, “?”, July 29, 1916, p. 1.

1917

The Daily Herald, “To dedicate club amid much revelry”, January 5, 1917.

The Daily Herald, “Yacht Club dance proves delightful”, January 6, 1917.

The Daily Herald, “Officers named for yacht club”, January 16, 1917.

The Daily Herald, “Yacht Club names committees”, January 17, 1917.

The Daily Herald, “Dance at Yacht Club last night”, January 20, 1917.

The Daily Herald, “Important meet of Yacht Club”, January 22, 1917.

The Daily Herald, “Yacht Club to open”, January 30, 1917.

The Daily Herald, "Martin Fountain’s Henry M wins schooner race at Biloxi”, July 5, 1917.

The Daily Herald, "Belle L puts thrill in regatta crowds-wins Coast championship”, July 6, 1917.

The Times Picayune, “Yachtsmen jubilant over success of their regatta”, July 8, 1917.

The Daily Herald, “Elect officers for ensuing year”, December 29, 1917.

The Daily Herald, “”,

1918

The Daily Herald, “Miss [Beryl] Wilkes entertains”, January 2, 1918.

The Daily Herald, “Too much friction causes cops’ downfall, asserts mayor Glennan”, January 3, 1918.

The Daily Herald, “Yacht Club dance”, January 18, 1918.

The Daily Herald, “Notice Biloxi Yacht Club members”, January 25, 1918.

The Daily Herald, “Notice Biloxi Yacht Club members”, January 26, 1918.

The Daily Herald, “Notice Biloxi Yacht Club members”, February 4, 1918.

The Daily Herald, “Officers given club  membership”, February 7, 1918.

The Daily Herald, “Card party at Yacht Club”, February 8, 1918.

The Daily Herald, “Young ladies go bathing”, February 9, 1918.

The Daily Herald, “Merchants report sales of bathing suits”, February 28, 1918.

 

1919

The Daily Herald, “Sail events take place tomorrow”, July 8, 1919.

The Daily Herald, Louis Goldman defeats Wonder, July 14, 1919.

The Daily Herald, “Biloxi Yacht Club to hold meeting”, December 19, 1919.

The Daily Herald, “Yacht Club holds meeting”, December 27, 1919.

 

1920

The Daily Herald, “Schooners for entering Regatta”, July 1, 1920.

The Daily Herald, “21st Annual Regatta”, July 3, 1920.

The Daily Herald, “Drowning of George Russell cast gloom over last day’s race”, July 7, 1920.

1921

The Daily Herald, “Biloxi Yacht Club in annual meet”, January 21, 1921.

The Daily Herald, “W.L. Via dies”, January 26, 1921.

The Daily Herald, “Large number of life members”, June 27, 1921.

The Daily Herald, “To elect two sets of officers”, December 24, 1921.

The Daily Herald, “Biloxi Yacht Club elects officers”, December 28, 1921.

The Daily Herald, “”,

1922

The Daily Herald, “Yacht Club plans lively year; new administration early job”, January 16, 1922.

The Daily Herald, “Biloxi Yacht Club holds meeting”, May 6, 1922.

The Daily Herald, “Ring at Yacht Club”, May 15 1922.

The Daily Herald, “Biloxi Yacht Club semi-annual meet”, May 31, 1922.

The Daily Herald, “Fish boats nearing completion”, June 3, 1922.

The Daily Herald, “Fish boats are launched”, June 29, 1922

The Daily Herald, “Biloxi’s 23rd Annual Regatta held today”, July 6, 1922.

The Daily Herald, “Sixteen entries sail before ten knot breezes”, July 7, 1922.

The Daily Herald, “Biloxi Annual Regatta closes with second successful day”, July 8, 1922.

The Daily Herald, “Big Schooners sail for prize”, July 10, 1922.

The Daily Herald, “”,

The Daily Herald, “Lipton Races avail nothing”, September 6, 1922.

The Daily Herald, “Annual meeting of the Biloxi Yacht Club”, December 27, 1922.

1923

The Daily Herald, “Biloxi [BYC] in national magazine”, August 20, 1923.

The Daily Herald, “Biloxi Yacht Club elects and plans for great year”, December 27, 1923.

1924

The Daily Herald, “B.Y.C. elects new officers”, December 29, 1924.

The Daily Herald, “”,

1925

The Daily Herald, “B.Y.C. elects new officers”,

The Daily Herald, “”,

The Daily Herald, “”,

1926

The Biloxi News, “Schooner races as Regatta Week feature is plan”, June 13, 1926, p. 8.

The Biloxi News, “Captain winning schooner to get pair of binoculars”, June 20, 1926, p. 1.

The Biloxi News, “Schooner-Speed Boat races to feature Regatta”, July 4, 1926, p. 3.

The Biloxi News, “Three races today held in Biloxi Bay brings end Regatta”, July 11, 1926, p. 1.

The Biloxi News, “”,

The Biloxi News, “”,

The Biloxi News, “”,

The Daily Herald, “”,

1927

The Daily Herald, “New type boat added to Biloxi  Yacht Club fleet”, April 9, 1927.

The Daily Herald, “Schooner races has more boats”, June 16, 1927.

The Daily Herald, “Biloxi Yacht Club is busy place now”, June 27, 1927.

The Daily Herald, “       ?    for 28th annual Biloxi Regatta tomorrow”, July 5, 1927.

The Daily Herald, “”,

The Daily Herald, “”,

The Daily Herald, “Cannett leaves club”, August 26, 1927.

The Daily Herald, “”,

The Daily Herald, “Wiltz heads yacht club”, December 31, 1927.

1928

The Daily Herald, “”,

The Daily Herald, “”,

The Daily Herald, “Sidelights on annual regatta”, July 12, 1928.

The Daily Herald, “Biloxi concludes two days of racing with big success”, July 12, 1928.

The Daily Herald, “”,

The Daily Herald, “”,

1929

The Daily Herald, “”,

The Daily Herald, “”,

The Daily Herald, “”,

The Daily Herald, “”,

The Daily Herald, “Masters of the white-winged schooners”, July 9, 1928.

The Daily Herald, “”,

1930

The Daily Herald, “”,

The Daily Herald, “”,

The Daily Herald, “Yacht Club makes plans for Regatta in Biloxi on July 4”, June 13, 1933.

The Daily Herald, “W.P. Kennedy, Jr. heads Yacht Club”, December 20, 1933.

The Daily Herald, “”,

The Daily Herald, “”,

1937

 

The Daily Herald, “Biloxi wins Lipton Cup”, September 6, 1937.

The Daily Herald, “”,

The Daily Herald, “”,

1938

The Daily Herald, “”,

The Daily Herald, “”,

The Daily Herald, “”,

The Daily Herald, “Yacht”,

The Daily Herald, “”,

The Times Picayune, “Yachtsman from ten clubs to race in 19th  Annual Lipton Cup event [at Biloxi], September 2, 1938.

1940

The Daily Herald, “”,

The Daily Herald, “Plan to revive working schooner races at Biloxi”, May 7, 1940.

 

The Daily Herald, “”,
The Daily Herald, “”,

1942

The Daily Herald, “Spring meeting of GYA will be in Biloxi”, April 23, 1942.

The Daily Herald, “Attend regatta”, September 8, 1942.

The Daily Herald, “Beauvais well known”, September 8, 1942.

 

1943

The Daily Herald, “Biloxi Yacht Club to sell race boats”, May 27, 1943.

The Daily Herald, “BYC is winner of Mobile regatta”, May 31, 1943.

The Daily Herald, “Yacht Club board to sell four boats”, March 4, 1944.

 

1946

The Daily Herald, “Biloxi  Yacht Club to elect Saturday”,  December 11, 1946.

 

1950

The Daily Herald, “W.P. Kennedy Sr. is buried Sunday with Catholic services”, December 24, 1951.

The Daily Herald, “Douglas Watson expires”, May 18, 1953.

The Daily Herald, “Joullian will succeed Pringle BYC Commodore”, December 6, 1954.

The Daily The Daily Herald, “Oldest Yacht Club”, March 23, 1956.Herald, “The Biloxi Yacht Club”, July 27, 1956.

The Daily Herald, “Elect Dr. Bolton captain of Biloxi fleet of Penguins”, December 3, 1956.

 

1960

The Daily Herald, “”,

The Daily Herald, “”,

1966

The Daily Herald, “Emile Fallo Commodore of Yacht Club”, October 29, 1966.

1970

1975

The Daily Herald, “BYC sued in beach land feud with City", April 29, 1975.

The Daily Herald, “BYC seeks dismissal of [land] title suit”, May 28, 1975.

The Daily Herald, “Title suit settled between Biloxi, Club”, August 7, 1975.

1980

The Daily Herald, “”,

The Daily Herald, “”,
The Daily Herald, “”,
 

1984

The Daily Herald, “Shaughnessy elected”, January 3, 1984.

The Daily Herald, “”,

The Daily Herald, “”,

1990

 

The Daily Herald, “”,

The Daily Herald, “”, 2000

The Sun Herald, “”, 2008, p.

 

 

The Sun Herald, “BYC opens clubhouse”, April 5, 2009.

2010-2020

The Sun Herald, “Yacht Club will establish change-of-watch ceremony”, February 13, 2010.

The Biloxi-D'Iberville Press, "BYC holds 2013 change of watch", January 31, 2013, p. 7.

The Sun Herald, "James H. Neirynck", June 11, 2014, p. A-4.