Interesting Things

By Ray L. Bellande

Primary tabs

Newspapers

BILOXI NEWSPAPERS

 

The Biloxi Sentinel

The Daily Picayune, “”, August 23, 1853, p. 1

 

______________________________________

1875

The Biloxi Mirror

The Biloxi Mirrorwas published as early as 1875, by the C.K. Browning & Company.(The Daily Herald 50th Golden Jubilee, 1934, p. 101)

           

REFERERNCES:

The Daily Herald 50th Golden Jubilee Number Biographical and Historical 1884-1934, (The Daily Herald: Gulfport-Biloxi, Mississippi-1934).

Twentieth Century Coast Edition of the Biloxi Daily Herald: Historical and Biographical(George W. Wilkes & Sons: Biloxi-1902).

 

____________________________________

1884

The Biloxi Herald

George W. Wilkes (185-1915) founded The Biloxi Herald in 1884.  He was a native of

 

1891

The Biloxi Herald moved into its new office building adjacent to the Masonic Opera House on Pass Christian Street about April 15, 1891.  The structure was built by John R. Harkness and was central and desirable than their last quarters.(The Biloxi Herald, April 4, 1891, p. 4)

THE BILOXI HERALD

$2.00 Per Year

OFFICIAL JOURNAL OF HARRISON COUNTY.

OFFICIAL JOURNAL OF TOWN OF BILOXI.

OFFICIAL JOURNAL OF HARRISON CO. FARMERS’ ALLIANCE.

George W. Wilkes, Publisher

(T.H. Glenn, 1893, advertisement)

1896

Captain John H. Miller (1847-1928) assumed editorial control of The Biloxi Herald on October 31, 1896 from George W. Wilkes (1854-1915).  Captain Miller left the journal on May 1, 1898 when the co-partnership, G.W. Wilkes & Company, was dissolved leaving G.W. Wiles sole owner of The Biloxi Herald.(The Biloxi Herald, June 11, 1898, p. 1 and The Daily Herald, April 23, 1928, p. 2)

Captain John H. Miller

 

John Henry Miller (1847-1928) born December 14, 1847 at Paulding, Jasper County, Mississippi.  During the Civil War, he enlisted in ‘The Jasper Grays’, Company F of the 16th Mississippi Regiment serving three year as a Lieutenant Robert E.  Lee’s Army of Northern Virginia.  Returning from the conflict, he married Alice Sophie Miller (1852-1916) circa 1871, and they were childless. During and post-Reconstruction, J.H. Miller was a newspaper man. (The Biloxi Daily Herald, 1902, p. 52)

William F. Gray, editor.

 

 

 

Editor George P. Money

George Pierson Money (1867-1951), the elder brother of H.D. Money, was born in Hinds County, Mississippi.  Like his brother, George P. Money was a lawyer having studied for the bar examination in Carrollton, Mississippi.  In 1891, he was admitted to the bar there and practiced law for twenty-five years.  When his father was in the Senate, young Money resided in Washington D.C. and worked as a file clerk in the House of Representatives document room and was chief clerk in the folding room of the House of Representatives.  He also worked on a USGS survey team, which was mapping the region near the District of Columbia.(The Daily Herald, March 7, 1951, p. 1)           

George P. Money’s law experience was quite varied.  From 1893 to 1900, he worked as the assistant U.S. attorney for the Territory of New Mexico.  In November 1904, he ran unsuccessfully as a Democrat for the position of delegate to Congress from the New Mexico Territory.  In 1905, the G.P. Money family relocated to the Mississippi Gulf Coast.  He was the deputy clerk and U.S. commissioner at Biloxi from 1918 until 1949.(The Daily Herald, June 3, 1948, p. 6 and March 7, 1951, p. 1)               

At heart, George P. Money was a newspaperman.  His early experience was with The Chattanooga Evening News and The Greenwood Enterprise, where he co-published with Governor James K. Vardaman (1861-1930).  During WW I, Money became associated with The Daily Herald.  He was with this journal for thirty-two years and was its longtime editor.(ibid.)

 

THE BILOXI DAILY HERALD

1902

H.S. Evans, editor and E.H. Benedict, manager of the Herald Printery.

 

REFERENCES:

 

The Biloxi Daily Herald, Business and Professional Men, (The Biloxi Daily Herald: Biloxi, Mississippi-1902), p. .

The Daily Herald 50th Golden Jubilee Number Biographical and Historical 1884-1934, (The Daily Herald: Gulfport-Biloxi, Mississippi-1934).

Charles L. Dyer, Along The Gulf, (Women of the Trinity Episcopal Church:  Pass Christian-1971.  Originally published in 1895).

T.H. Glenn, The Mexican Gulf Coast on Mobile Bay & Mississippi Sound Illustrated, (Graham-Delchamps: Mobile, Alabama-1893).

Journals

The Biloxi Herald, “Removal”, April 4, 1891.

The Biloxi Herald, “A statement”, December 12, 1896.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Captain J.H. Miller acquitted”, July 10, 1897.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Result of unfortunate newspaper controversy”, July 10, 1897.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Unwarranted insinuation”, November 21, 1896.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Recorder’s Court”, December 12, 1896.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “A statement”, December 12, 1896.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Not Guilty”, July 3, 1897.

 

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Captain J.H. Miller acquitted”, July 10, 1897.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “City News”, March 3, 1903.

The Daily Herald, “George Washington Wilkes”, March 30, 1915.

The Daily Herald, “Funeral of G. W. Wilkes conducted from late Howard Avenue residence”, March 30, 1915.

The  Daily Herald, “Tribute to memory of  G. W. Wilkes by editor of “The Coast Advertiser”, March 30, 1915.

_________________________________________________

1893

The Biloxi Blizzard

Louis Rosenthal (1851-1942), an 1853 Prussian immigrant, commenced The Biloxi Blizzard in February 1893.  From comments about his newspaper, it appears that it’s early months were difficult and there were times when The Biloxi Blizzard was not published.  The Biloxi Herald, a competitor, wrote in April 1894, that “after a suspension of several months, The Biloxi Blizzard made an appearance on April 1st.  L. Rosenthal appears on the masthead as editor and proprietor

The Biloxi Blizzard advertised in 1893 as follows:

 

THE BLIZZARD

Published every Wednesday by the Biloxi Publishing Company

Louis Rosenthal, Editor and Manager

Subscription $1.50 per year

(T.H. Glenn, 1893, advertisement)

 

Family

Louis Rosenthal married Brunette Levy (1868-1956) at New Orleans on February 19, 1888.  They were the parents of seven children and six sons survived to adulthood: Seligman T. Rosenthal (1889-1973); Leon Rosenthal (1890-1920+) m. Fannie Heymann; Aaron Rosenthal (1893-1917+); Jacob Rosenthal (1895-1972); Marcus Rosenthal (1902-1970); and Ezra Rosenthal (1904-1994)

 

The Mandeville Wave

The Rosenthal family left Biloxi for Mandeville, Louisiana before 1900.  Here Louis found employment with The Mandeville Wave, a small journal, as a journalist.

 

REFERENCES:

 

Charles L. Dyer, Along The Gulf, (Women of the Trinity Episcopal Church:  Pass Christian-1971.  Originally published in 1895).

 

T.H. Glenn, The Mexican Gulf Coast on Mobile Bay & Mississippi Sound Illustrated, (Graham-Delchamps: Mobile, Alabama-1893).

The Biloxi Herald, “Local Happenings”, February 4, 1893.

The Biloxi Herald, “Local Happenings”, April 7, 1894.

The Biloxi Herald, “Local Happenings”, May 25, 1895.

The Biloxi Herald, “Local Happenings”

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “City News”, March 3, 1903.

 

_______________________________________

1895

The Biloxi Banner

The Biloxi Banner was founded by W.E. Champlin on March 16, 1895.  Mr. Champlin was born

 

W.E. Champlin married Rosa A. Leger in November 1891.

 

 

______________________________________

1896

The Biloxi Review

The Biloxi Reviewpublished it first weekly newspaper on July 25, 1896.  It was commenced by H.S. Evans.

 

H.S. Evans

H.S. Evans had relocated to Gulfport by August 1897 and had taken the reins of The Gulfport Southward.  It had shown improvement under his managing skills.(The Biloxi Daily Herald, August 7, 1897 p. 1)

 

Joseph D. McKie

Joseph D. McKie (1858-1907) bought the Biloxi Review circa 1906.  He was born in Tennessee.  J.D. McKie and family arrived at Biloxi circa 1895, probably from Birmingham, Alabama.  He had married Lura McKie (1859-1919+), also a Tennessee native, who bore him two daughters, Laura J. ‘Nita’ McKie, Mississippi native, and Ernestine McKie (1881-1919), born Alabama.  Before his career as a publisher, J.D. McKie had been a druggist and have practiced his trade at New Orleans and Birmingham.(The Biloxi Daily Herald, November 5, 1907, p. 2)

Biloxi

At Biloxi, the McKie family was domiciled at 627 East Howard Avenue on the corner of Keller Avenue.  The Biloxi Review was moved to Gulfport and called the Gulfport Review.  The McKie women were quite industrious as Lura McKie worked as a reporter; Nita McKie was a stenographer for a naval stores company; and Ernestine McKie kept books.(1910 Harrison Co., Mississippi Federal Census T624_740, p. 9A, ED 33)

Demise

Joseph D. McKie expired at Biloxi, Mississippi in early November 1907.  He was a personal friend of James K. Vardaman (1861-1930), Mississippi governor from 1904 to 1908.  The body of J.D. McKie was interred in the Biloxi Cemetery.  When a Woodmen of the World monument was placed on J.D. McKie’s grave in late February 1908, former Governor Vardaman gave a speech.(The Biloxi Daily Herald, February 29, 1908, p. 4)

Nita McKie developed an illness, possibly tuberculosis, which resulted in the family relocating to Del Rio, Texas.  Lura McKie sold the family home to Joseph Comber, Biloxi merchant, for $2600 in December 1912.  Nita died at Del Rio, Texas in December 1919.  Her corporal remains were sent to Biloxi for burial near her father.(The Daily Herald, December7, 1912, p. 4 and February 4, 1919, p. 3)           

 

REFERENCES:

Twentieth Century Coast Edition of the Biloxi Daily Herald: Historical and Biographical(George W. Wilkes & Sons: Biloxi-1902), see page 48.

The Biloxi Herald,“City News”, August 1, 1896.

The Biloxi Herald,“Biloxi Review and Ocean Wave”, October 24, 1896.

The Biloxi Herald, “A heavy suit for libel”, September 12, 1896.

The Biloxi Herald,“An open letter”, September 26, 1896.[W.F. Gray, editor’s reply to Sivad [Davis] of the OS Wave]

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Necrology”, November 5, 1907.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “City News”, February 29, 1908.

The Daily Herald, “Several sales of Biloxi property”, December 7, 1912.

The Daily Herald, “Miss Nita McKie dead”, February 4, 1919.

 

_____________________________________________________________

1939

The Gulf Coast Examiner

The Gulf Coast Examiner, a weekly journal "dedicated to Good Government" and published by the Gulf Coast Publishing Company and located at Lameuse and Washington Streets, published its first issue on June 15th.  E.J. Hosch, formerly assistant publicity director at Mississippi State College was editor and publisher.  Edward Brumfield, formerly of the Mississippi Guide, was advertising manager and superintendent of the mechanical engineering department. Other employees were: Virgil England, fomerly with the Miami, Oklahoma Daily News Record; Samuel Wells; Clyde Campbell; and Mrs. E.J. Hosch.(The Daily Herald, June 15, 1939, p. 3)

 

REFERENCES:    

The Daily Herald, ‘New weekly to be published at Biloxi’, June 15, 1939, p. 3)