Interesting Things

By Ray L. Bellande

Primary tabs

Golf Courses

 

BILOXI and MISSISSIPPI GULF COAST GOLF

 

Time Line

Mexican Gulf Hotel-1902-Thomas Bendelow

 

Magnolia Hotel-1902-Thomas Bendelow

 

Keller’s Green-1902-Thomas Bendelow

 

Pass Christian-1909-Frank E. Sutter

 

1909

Mississippi Coast Country Club-Great Southern- Neiman

 

1918

Biloxi Country Club-1924

Biloxi Gulf Club-The Biloxi Golf Club was situated on a 110-acre tract acquired from Cora E. White (1864-1934) in northwest Biloxi.  Construction of the golf course commenced in mid-March 1918, under the supervision of golf professional, Jack Daray (1881-1958) of Grand Rapids, Michigan.(The Daily Herald, March 22, 1918, p.

 

1923

Mexican Gulf-Pine Hills-north shore of Bay St. Louis-Clarence W. Gormly

 

1925

Oren Williams and caddy

Oren Williams (1900-1925+) of Biloxi defeated W.E. Ware of Greenwood in the 1925 State Amateur Golf Championship hosted by the Jackson Country Club.  Williams was also medallist.  Bob Gormly (1909-1969) representing the Biloxi Golf Club won the first flight.(The Daily Herald, June 22, 1925, p. 5)

 

Bay-Waveland Golf Club-135-acres on Old Spanish Trail and Nicholson Avenue. Construction to begin in November 1925.(The Daily Herald, November 5, 1925)

 

Gulf Hills-Ocean Springs, Mississippi-Jack Daray (1881-1958)

 

1926

Edgewater Golf Club located north of the hotel was designed by Harry J. Collis, architect of the Floosmoor Country Club and Olympia Fields at Chicago.  He had seventy-five men and eight tractors at work on the course.(The Biloxi News, March 21, 1926, p. 1 and April 25, 1926, p. 3)

 

A golf course was planned for Gulfport.(The Daily Herald, June 12, 1926, p. 7)

 

ROBERT M. GORMLY

In late June, Robert Meredith 'Bob' Gormly (1909-1969) defeated Al Welch of Biloxi for the Mississippi State Amateur Golf Championship on the Laurel Country Club links at Laurel, Mississippi.  He competed in the National Junior golf championships at Chicago in August 1926.(Way Down South, July 17, 1926, p. 6)

 

1929

In August 1929, Don Gormly and Bob Gormly (1909-1969) went to Greenwood, Mississippi to play in the State amateur golf tournament. Bob Gormly was low medalist and went on to win his second State golf championship in a very convincing manner over W.E. Ware of Greenwood, 8 and 7 in the 36 hole finals.  Don Gormly won the second flight consolation match.(The Daily Herald, June 7, 1929, p. 10 and June 10, 1929, p. 5)

Buena Vista Hotel-Midget 18 hole putting course.  Par 50 course in Biloxi on West Beach and Hopkins.(The Daily Herald, December 31, 1929, p. 2)

 

1930

Plans for a golf course in the Henderson Point section west of Pass Christian were revealed in late April.(The Daily Herald, April 30, 1930)

Bob Gormly (1909-1969) won his third Mississippi State Golf Championship at Laurel, Mississippi in June 1930.  In the 36 hole semi-finals, he beat medalist, Eugene Vinson of Meridian, 4 and 3.  In the 36-hole finals, Gormly bested his team mate, A.D. Warner, 5 and 4.  The Biloxi Golf Team composed of Bob Gormly and Don Gormly, A. Welch, and A.D. Warner won the Griffith Trophy for shooting the low medal score in the team competition.(The Daily Herald, June 14, 1930, p. 3 and June 16, 1930, p. 6)

Edgewater Gulf-Jack Daray (1881-1958) and Harry Collins may have redesigned or worked on this golf course.

 

1933

Bob Gormly (1909-1969) of Biloxi lost to Robert C. Mulloy of Laurel 3 and 2 in the semi-finals of the State Amateur golf tournament.(The Daily Herald, June 9, 1933, p. 2 and June 10, 1933, p. 2)

 

1936

Walter Hagen (18-19), golf professional, arrived at Biloxi on February 25, 1934 with Joe Hurst, his manager, and Joe Kirkwood, golf trick shot specialist.  His entourage made an appearance at the Biloxi Country Club.(The Daily Herald, February 26, 1936, p. 8)

 

1938

Anson Holley beat W.E. 'Bill' Beasley 3 and 2 to win the Biloxi Country Club Championship in February.(The Daily Herald, February 23, 1938, p. 6)

 

1944

The Gulfport Open, a PGA golf tournament, was held at the Great Southern Country Club from March 3, 1944 to March 5, 1944.  The prize money was $6000 in war bonds.  Harold ‘Jug’ McSpaden (1908-1996) won the 72-holetournament shooting eight under par defeating Sammy Byrd (1906-1981), runner-up, by six strokes.  Byron Nelson (1912-2006) placed third.  Freddie Haas (1916-2004), NOLA golfer, was the winning amateur.  McSpaden won a $1000 war bond; Byrd a $750 war bond; and Byron Nelson a $550 war bond.  Ashton Barrett was Club President at this time and Jim Wilson. Club Professional.  Byron Nelson went on to win $37,967 in war bonds in 1944 and lead the PGA money list.  Jug McSpaden was second with $23,855 in war bond winnings.(The Daily Herald, March 1, 1944, p. 2, March 3, 1944, p. 2, and March 6, 1944, p. 2)

Jug McSpadenSammy Byrd and Byron Nelson went to Keesler Field at Biloxi on March 3, 1944 to demonstrate their links skills to the servicemen.(The Daily Herald, March 4, 1944, p. 6)

 

1946

Pascagoula Country Club [nine holes]

 
1952

Pass Christian Isles Golf Club was incorporated April 19, 1952 by John Bell, E.A. Lang, Dr. C.D. Taylor Jr,, C. Randall Jones Jr., and George E. Morse.(Harrison Co., Mississippi Chattel Deed Bk. 138, p. 230)

Wallace C. Walker (1904-1986), address 1728 Tulane Avenue, conveyed to the Pass Christian Isles Golf Club a twenty-five year lease-purchase option on eight tracts of 115.5 acres to John Bell, president on December 6, 1953,  Rent $2000 to $3500 per year from 1957 to 1977.(Harrison County, Ms. Land Deed Bk. 371, p. 70)

Wallace C. Walker sold to Pass Christian Isles Golf Club on November 22, 1967 for $96,000.  Deed of Trust held by Clifford Walker.(Harrison Co., Mississippi Trust Deed Bk. 600, p. 96)

The Biloxi Country Club, which would shsortly be renamed the Sunkist Country Club, announced plans to build its clubhouse in late December.  Officers of the club were: William E. Beasley (1881-1963), pres.; Robert R. Buntin, v. pres.; Giles Peresich (1918-1985), treas.; and Lee Kostmayer, sec.  Board of Directors: Biloxi-Joseph V. Lawrence (1902-1975); Glen Swetman; Vernon B. Pringle; Earl C. Nolan; and Anson Holley Jr.  Gulfport-Arthur V. Hays; Ashton Barrett (1901-1990); and H.C. Thompson.(The Daily Herald, December 23, 1952, p. 9)

 

1953

Johnny Revolta, Gulf Hills professional, and Mickey J. Bellande (1909-1982), Biloxi amateur, played two Birmingham, Alabama linksters, Sam Byrd (1906-1981), PGA touring professional, and Al Jamison, one of Alabama's top amateur golfers, in a four ball match at Gulf Hills on March 1, 1953.  The Revolta-Bellande team prevailed over the visitors.  The eighteen-hole scores were as follows: Revolta-68; Bellande-77; Byrd-73; and Jamison 73.(The Daily Herald, March 2, 1953, p. 15) 

 

Sunkist Country Club Incorporated was founded in July 1953 by W.E. Bill' Beasley. Designed by Frank Steidle and Roland Robley Robertson?.  Reincorporated in August 1967.

 

1953 Mississippi State Open Championship

The 24th annual Mississippi State Open golf championship was held at Gulf Hills from September 10, 1953, until September 13, 1953.  1952 champion, Jim Coleman of Jackson, did not return to defend his title.  The course played at 6611 yards with par at 72.  Spec Wilson of Laurel, an amateur and former open champion, won the 72-hole event with a score of 280.  Eleven strokes back was Wayne Williams, an amateur from Greenwood.  Amateur and future PGA star, Johnny Pott (b. 1935) of Brookhaven, and pro Frank Steidle of Biloxi’s Sunkist Country Club tied for third place with scores of 293.  Notable locals from Biloxi and their scores were: Mickey Bellande (1909-1980)-295; Giles Peresich (1918-1985) -298; Ballard Beasley-298; Louis Hood-306; Anson Holley-307; and J.J. Lawrence-309.(The Daily Herald, September 10, 1953, p. 20 and September 14, 1953, p. 20)

 

1954

In June, John Mavar defeated Greg Lawrence 4 and 3 for the first annual Sunkist Amateur Championship at Sunkist Country Club.(The Daily Herald, June 11, 1954)

 

1959

Tramark-Gulfport, Mississippi.

 

1960

Par Three-1960?-Curtis P. Galle’ (1910-1992) was the founder of the Par Three Golf Course on Popps Ferry Road.  Mr. Galle’ acquired the farm and pecan orchard of the late Boyd Smith for $22,000 in December 1954 from Eunice Smith, Mildred Smith Harrelson, and Milton B. Smith, his heirs at law.  The Boyd farm consisted of forty-three acres, the SE/4, SE/4 of Section 12, T7S-R10W and three-acres in the SW/4, SW/4 of Section 12, T7S-R10W west of Cedar Lake Road.  The conveyance included all farm implements and equipment.

 

1964

1964 State Amateur Championship

In mid-June 1964, at the Edgewater Golf Club in Biloxi, Mississippi, Mickey Bellande (1909-1982) beat Don Fruge, an eighteen-year old from Meridian, Mississippi, 4-3 in the 36-hole finals for the State Amateur Championship.  Bellande shot 68 on the first eighteen holes.  He had lost 1 up in 37 holes to Bobby Harrell of Laurel in the 1962 Amateur finals at Hattiesburg.(The Clarion Ledger, June 15, 1964, p. 4)

Portage Yacht and Country Club near Pass Christian, Mississippi was designed by Charles 'Chic' Adams (1923-2007), a native of Iowa and 1946 graduate of Morningside College [Sioux City, Iowa].  He planned to have the Portage Yacht and Country Club ready for play by June-July 1965.  In addition, to the 18-hole par 72 course, Portage had a nine-hole course designed for beginner and intermediate golfers.(The Daily Herald, December 23, 1964, p. 23)

 

1965

Hickory Hills-Mississippi National-Gautier, Mississippi-Earl Stone course designer.

 

1968

Broadwater Beach Hotel Sun and Sea Courses-Biloxi, Mississippi-Earl Stone architect.

In January, Johnny Pott commenced his association with the Broadwater Beach golf club. at Biloxi(The Ocean Springs Record, January 11, 1968, p. 1)

 

1971

St. Andrews on the Gulf-August 13, 1971-James Thompson

Pine Island Golf Course, Inc.-1972-Pete Dye on February 10, 1978 and Marsh Islands-

 

1991

Southwind Country Club- D'Iberville-St. Martin area-Chuck Gregory

 

1993

Dogwood Hills Golf Club-Biloxi, Mississippi-Brent Williams

 

1996

The Bridges-Bay St. Louis, Mississippi-Arnold Palmer

Windance-?-Gulfport, Mississippi-Mark McCumber, designer.  Acquired by the Island View Casino in 2008-6600-yards.

 

1998

The Oaks-Pass Christian, Mississippi-Gil Morgan

 

1999

Grand Bear-Saucier, Mississippi-Jack Nicklaus, golf course architect.

 

2000

Shell Landing-Gautier, Mississippi-Davis Love III, course architect,

 

2006

The Preserve Golf Club-[Vancleave]-founded in 2006-Jerry Pate, course architect.

 

___________________________________________________________________________________

MISSISSIPPI COAST GOLF COURSES [2011]

[source: The Sun Herald, "Golf brings millions to Coast coffers", July 31, 2011, p. C-10)

Bay Breeze Golf Course - 500 Ploesti Drive KAFB-Biloxi, Mississippi.

The Bridges Golf Club - 711 Hollywood Boulevard - Bay St. Louis, Mississippi.

Diamondhead Country Club Cardinal and Pine Course-7600 Country Club Drive-Diamondhead, Mississippi.

Dogwood Hills Golf Club-17476 Dogwood Hills Golf Club-17476 Dogwood Hills Drive-Biloxi, Mississippi.

Fallen Oak Golf Club-24400 Mississippi Highway No. 15-Saucier, Mississippi.

Grand Bear Golf Club-12040 Grand Way Boulevard-Saucier, Mississippi.

Great Southern Golf Club-2000 Beach Drive-Gulfport, Mississippi.

Gulf Hills Golf Club-13700 Paso Road-Ocean Springs, Mississippi.

Mississippi National Golf Club-900 Hickory Hill Drive-Gautier, Mississippi.

The Oaks Golf Club-24384 Clubhouse drive-Pass Christian, Mississippi.

Pascagoula Country Club-2703 Washington Avenue-Pascagoula, Mississippi.

Pass Christian Isles Golf Club-150 Country Club Dive-Pass Chrisrian, Mississippi.

Pine Bayou Golf Course-Naval Construction Battalion Center-7th Street-Gulfport, Mississippi.

The Preserve Golf Club-8901 Mississippi Highway No. 57-Vancleave, Mississippi.

Shell Landing Golf Club-3499 Shell Landing Boulevard-Gautier, Mississippi.

Sunkist Country Club-2381 Sunkist Country Club Road-Biloxi, Mississippi.

Whispering Pines Golf Course-18412 Mississippi Highway No. 613-Hurley, Mississippi/

Windance Country Club-19385 Champion Circle-Gulfport, Mississippi.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

 

MISSISSIPPI STATE AMATEUR GOLF CHAMPIONS

1915-W.E. Ware of Aberdeen, Mississippi at the Jackson Country Club, Jackson, Mississippi.

1916-Dr. L. D. Granloff of Aberdeen, Mississippi at Great Southern, Gulfport, Mississippi.

1917-C.W. Kittleman of Greenville, Mississippi.

1918-No tournament, WW I.

1919

1920s

1920-W.E. Ware

1921

1922- W.E. Ware of Greenville, Mississippi, at the Biloxi Golf Club.

1923- C.W. Kittleman of Greenville, Mississippi.

1924-C.W. Kettleman won at the Biloxi Golf Club on June 8, 1924.(The Daily Herald, June 9, 1924, p. 1)

Oren Williams and caddy

1925-Oren Williams (b. 1900) of Biloxi defeated W.E. Ware of Greenwood in the 1925 State Amateur Golf Championship hosted by the Jackson Country Club.  Williams was also medallist.  Bob Gormly representing the Biloxi Golf Club won the first flight.(The Daily Herald, June 22, 1925, p. 5)

1926-In late June 1926, Bob Gormly defeated A. Welch of Biloxi for the Mississippi State Amateur Golf Championship on the Laurel Country Club links at Laurel, Mississippi.  He competed in the National Junior golf championships at Chicago in August 1926.(Way Down South, July 17, 1926, p. 6)

1927- C.W. Kittleman of Greenville, Mississippi.

1928-Oren Williams of Biloxi defeated Bob Gormly of Biloxi at Gulf Hills.

1929-In August 1929, Don and Bob Gormly went to Greenwood, Mississippi to play in the State amateur golf tournament.  Bob Gormly was low medalist and went on to win his second State golf championship in a very convincing manner over W.E. Ware of Greenwood, 8 and 7 in the 36 hole finals.  Don Gormly won the second flight consolation match.(The Daily Herald, June 7, 1929, p. 10 and June 10, 1929, p. 5)

1930s

1930-State Champion-15th Mississippi State Championship

Bob Gormly won his third Mississippi State Golf Championship at Laurel, Mississippi in June 1930.  In the 36 hole semi-finals, he beat medalist, Eugene Vinson of Meridian, 4 and 3.  In the 36-hole finals, Gormly bested his team mate, A.D. Warner, 5 and 4.  The Biloxi Golf Team composed of Bob and Don Gormly, A. Welch, and A.D. Warner won the Griffith Trophy for shooting the low medal score in the team competition.(The Daily Herald, June 14, 1930, p. 3 and June 16, 1930, p. 6)

1931-Eugene Vinson (b. 1913), high school athlete, from Meridian, Mississippi beat Maynard Craft of Jackson 2 up.  The tournament was held at Jackson.  Vinson went on to capture the State Open at Canton in September defeating Tupelo professional, Nelson Giddens.(The Daily Herald, June 15, 1931, p. 3 and  September 10, 1931, p. 3)                  

1932-Eugene Vinson of Meridian, Mississippi bested Harry Prichett of Columbus.  Played at the National Park course at Vicksburg.

1933-Eugene Vinson of Meridian, Mississippi.

1934-Jim Patrick of Tupelo won over L.L. McAllister of Jackson by a score of 2 and 1.  The event was held in Meridian.(The Daily Herald, June 9, 1934, p. 3)

1935-played at Greenwood.

1936-L.V. Dukes of Jackson.

1937- L.V. Dukes of Jackson won at Vicksburg.

1938-Eugene Vinson of Meridian, Mississippi beat Hunter Gregory Weddington (b. 1917) at Biloxi.

1939-Hunter G. Weddington (b. 1917) of Meridian, Mississippi.

1940s

1940-Eugene Vinson of Meridian, Mississippi beat Tom Welsh of Greenville 3 and 3.

1941-Curtis Person (1910-1997)

1942

1943

1944-Andy Plyler of Ocean Springs defeated Carl Lipe (1901-1977) of Clarksdale at Jackson in June.(The Daily Herald, June 19, 1944, p. 2)

1945- Curtis Person (1910-1997) of Greenwood beat Carl Lipe (1901-1977) of Clarksdale 7 and 6 in the thirty-six hole championship finals on June 29th at Gulf Hills in Ocean Springs, Mississippi.(The Daily Herald, June 30, 1945, p. 3)

1946

1947- Hunter G. Weddington (b. 1917) of Meridian, Mississippi.

1948- Hunter G. Weddington (b. 1917) of Meridian, Mississippi.

1949-Eugene Vinson of Meridian, Mississippi.

1950s

1950-Eddie Merrins (b. 1932) of Meridian, Mississippi.

1951-B.F. Wilson (1914-1967)of Laurel, Mississippi.  Mississippi Open Champion, 1941-1953, and 1956.

1952-B.F. Wilson (1914-1967)of Laurel, Mississippi.

1953- Eddie Merrins of Meridian, Mississippi.

1954-B.F. Wilson (1914-1967)of Laurel, Mississippi.

1955- Tommy Lott of Columbus, Mississippi or Eddie Merrins of Meridian, Mississippi.  Tournament held at Meridian.

1956-B.F. Wilson of Laurel won the Tournament held at Laurel, Mississippi.(The Daily Herald, August 20, 1956, p. 15)

Mary Mills of Gulfport won at the Jackson Country Club defeating Ann Gookin of Jackson.(Down South, July-August 1956, p. 29)

1957

1958

1959-B.F. Wilson (1914-1967) of Laurel, Mississippi.

1960s

1960

1961-Robert ‘Bob’ Travis of Jackson, Mississippi.

1962-Robert ‘Bobby’ Harrell of Laurel and a captain in the US Army stationed at Ft. Sill, Oklahoma beat Marcel ‘Mickey’ Bellande (1909-1982) of Biloxi 1 up after 37 holes at the Hattiesburg CC course.(The Daily Herald, June 18, 1962, p. 19)

1963-

1964-Mickey Bellande (1909-1982) of Biloxi defeated Don Fruge of Meridian 4 and 4 in the 36-hole finals at the Edgewater Gulf Country Club in Biloxi, Mississippi.(The Daily Herald, June 15, 1964, p. 26)

1965-Mike Taylor (b. 1946) of Meridian, Mississippi

1966-Mike Taylor (b. 1946) of Meridian, Mississippi

1967

1968-Mike Taylor (b. 1946) of Meridian, Mississippi

1969

1970s

1970-Mike Taylor (b. 1946) of Meridian, Mississippi

1971

1972-Mike Taylor (b. 1946) of Meridian, Mississippi

1973-Mike Taylor (b. 1946) of Meridian, Mississippi

1974-Mike Taylor (b. 1946) of Meridian, Mississippi

1975-Mike Taylor (b. 1946) of Meridian, Mississippi.  Also won State Open.

1976-

1977-Mike Taylor (b. 1946) of Meridian, Mississippi

1978-Mike Taylor (b. 1946)of Meridian, Mississippi.  Also won State Open.

1979-Joe S. Iupe Jr. (b. 1956) of Canton, Mississippi.

1980s

1980

1981

1982

1983

1984

1985-Leigh Brannan.  Also won State Open.

1986

1987

1988

1989-Watt Whatley at Windance Country Club in Gulfport.  Also won State Open.

1990s

1990-

1991-

1992-

1993-

1994-Clay Homan

1995-

1996-

1997-                   played at Diamondhead on the Pine Course.

1998-

1999-Rett Crowder.  Also won State Open.

2000s

2000-

2001-Rett Crowder.  Also won State Open.

2002-Lane Pippin of Ocean Springs defeated ? at Hattiesburg CC in Hattiesburg, Mississippi..

2003-

2004-

2005-Clay Homan of Starkville, Mississippi won at  .

2006-                  won at Philadelphia, Mississippi on the Azalea Course of the Dancing Rabbit Golf Club.

2007-Steve Wilsonof Ocean Springs won at Reunion Golf and Country Club in Madison, Mississippi.

2008-Trey Denton (b. 1985) of Madison, Mississippi won at Tunica National in Tunica, Mississippi.  Played college golf at the University of Arizona.

2009-Jonathan Randolph (b. 1988)[shot an 283], a junior at Ole Miss,  beat Thomas Watkins Jr. [284] of Whisper Lake CC at the Windance CC in Gulfport, Mississippi.(The Sun Herald, June 8, 2009, p. C1)

2010

2011

 

REFERENCES

The Daily Herald, “Williams New State Champ”, June 22, 1925.

The Daily Herald, “Oren Williams Beaten In Finals at State Match”, June 18, 1927.

The Daily Herald, Williams Eliminates Champ Today While Gormley (sic) Wins”, June 29, 1928.

The Daily Herald, “High School Boy of Meridian Golf Champ of State”, June 15, 1931.

The Daily Herald, “Vinson in Finals, Bob Gormley (sic) Loses to Robert Mulloy”, June 10, 1933.

The Daily Herald, “Young Tupelo Golfer Triumphs in Finals”, June 9, 1934.

The Daily Herald, “Gene Vinson wins State golf title in amateur event”, June 8, 1940, p. 5.

The Daily Herald, “Plyler Wins State Amateur Golf Tourney”, June 19, 1944.

The Daily Herald, “Person beats Carl Lipe for State golf title”, June 30, 1945.

The Daily Herald, “Prep for State Open”, August 10.1956, p. 18.

The Daily Herald, “Bellande bows out in golf finals”, June 18, 1962.

The Daily Herald, “Bunts, Boots and Bounces”, June 13, 1964.

The Daily Herald, “Bellande Is State Amateur Golf Champ”, June 15, 1964.

The Sun Herald, “Pippin Ponders Pro Path”, July 28, 2002, p. B-1.

The Sun Herald, “State Am tees off Thursday at Windance”, June 3, 2009, p. B5.

The Sun Herald, “Randolph wins amateur”, June 8, 2009..

_____________________________________________________________________________________

CLUB HISTORIES

 

MISSISSIPPI COAST COUNTRY CLUB [now GREAT SOUTHERN]

Location: Section 32, T7S-R10W Harrison County, Mississippi.

Founder: Organized by Joseph Albert ‘Bert’ Jones in 1909

Board of Directors:

      The roots of the present day Great Southern Golf and Country Club lie with Joseph A. “Bert’ Jones (1877-1910), the son of Joseph T. Jones (1842-1916) and Melodia Blackmarr Jones (1859-1931), considered the founder of Gulfport, Mississippi.  In 1909, Bert Jones acquired about fifty acres of land in Lots 61-77 of the Louis Auguste Frederic Survey in Section 32, T7S-R8W in Harrison County, Mississippi situated at the time between Biloxi and Gulfport.  Today this fine golf links is within the Gulfport city limits.  Mr. Jones’ land had a frontage of      feet on the Mississippi Sound and ran north        feet to the L&N Railroad.

Great Southern Hotel

            Built by Captain Joseph T. Jones in 1903 following the completion of the Gulf & Ship Island Railroad.  Thomas J. Sully (1855-1939) was the architect and Mr. Heustis, the building contractor.  Closed in late May 1934 because of the Great Depression.(The Daily Herald, June 1, 1934, p. 1)

Thomas Sully (1855-1939) was a largely self-trained architect based in New Orleans, Louisiana. He designed many large residences on Upper St. Charles Avenue, such as the Picard House, and public buildings in New Orleans and in other cities as well.  Thomas J. Sully was born in Mississippi City, Mississippi, to George Washington Sully and the former Harriet Jane Green. He studied architecture in the office of Lahnour and Wheelock in Austin, Texas, and with the firm of H.R. Marshall and J. Morgan Slade in New York City. He opened his New Orleans office in 1881. He married the former Mary Eugenia Rocchi in 1884, and the couple had one daughter.

            Among his designs were the Hennen Maritime Building, the original Whitney Building, Milliken Memorial Hospital, and the St. Charles Hotel, all in New Orleans; the Vicksburg Hotel in Vicksburg, Mississippi; the Shreveport (Caddo Parish) Charity Hospital (formerly called "Confederate Memorial Medical Center" and currently known as the "LSU Medical Center"), and the Caffery Sugar Mill near Franklin in St. Mary Parish.

He was a grand-nephew and namesake of the painter Thomas Sully. He was a member of the Boston Club, the Elks, and the Southern Yacht Club.

Bert Jones

      Born Bradford, Pennsylvania in 1877, to Joseph T. Jones and .  Married Mary Seymour (1885-1910+)

Chevally and Fursden

     

Land Deeds

            Widow J.A. Jones, Mary Seymour Jones, to J.T. Jones in February 1911.(Harrison Co., Ms. Land Deed Bk. 95, p. 412)

            Forfeited tax patent.(Harrison Co., Ms. Deed Bk. 120, p. 292); also Bk. 17, 328.

            Harrison Co., Ms. Deed Bk. 123, p. 183)

            Louis A. Frederic Bk. 177, p. 192.

 

President Wilson at Pass Christian-December 25, 1913 to January 12, 1914

      In mid-December 1913, Congressman Byron Patton ‘Pat’ Harrison (1881-1941) made the announcement that President Woodrow Wilson (1856-1924) was considering taking his three-week, 1913 Christmas holiday at Gulfport, Mississippi and environs.  Dr. Cary T. Grayson (1878-1938) of the USN, the President’s medical attendant, had recommended the Gulf Coast as a place for Woodrow Wilson to rest and relax as he was suffering from a severe winter cold.(The Daily Herald, December 16, 1913, p. 1)

     The decision was made and the Herndon House at Pass Christian, Mississippi was chosen as the ‘Winter White House’.  Mary Alice Herndon (1863-1923), a native of New Orleans and Rebecca Jane Krumbhar Herndon (1840-1920+), her mother and the widow of Thomas Cammack Herndon (1829-1901), were operating a boarding house owned by Mrs. J.W. Aver, a widow.  The mild winters, excellent rail connections, family friends at New Orleans, and the fact that there was a suitable golf course, the Mississippi Coast Country Club at nearby Mississippi City, made the choice of the Coast a relative easy decision for the Wilson family.(The Daily Herald, December 24, 1913, p. 1)

   The Herndon House was severely damaged by Hurricane Camille in August 1969 and the owner from New Orleans reportedly died of a heart attack after she observed the derelict structure.  It was removed and the lot lay bare until post-Katrina, when a replica of the old structure was initiated.  It is under construction in August 2008.(W. Dayton Robinson, August 4, 2008)

       The Presidential entourage left the Capitol in a special train assembled by the Southern Railway.  There were four cars: a diner, Pullman, combination baggage car and smoking car, and the ‘Ideal’, President Wilson’s private rail car.  In addition to Mr. Wilson, the Presidential party consisted of: Ellen Louise ‘Ellie Lou’ Axson Wilson (1860-1914), Mrs. Woodrow Wilson; Margaret W. Wilson (1886-1944) and Eleanor R. Wilson (1889-1967), the President’s daughters; Helen Woodrow Bones (1874-1951), the President’s cousin; Dr. Carey T. Grayson, naval surgeon; Charles L. Swem (1887-1969), the President’s personal stenographer; and four Secret Servicemen.  They arrived on the Coast early Christmas morning and were greeted warmly by Mayor Anatole P. Saucier of Pass Christian.(The Daily Herald, December 24, 1913, p. 1 and The Macon Weekly, December 26, 1913, p. 3)

        At Pass Christian, not only the President, but the Wilson family had come for a well-deserved rest and declined all local social invitations.  The Wilson girls had had an active social calendar in the Capitol and looked forward to horseback riding on the beach and pine-traced, sandy road to Wolf River, as well as visiting with Mary and Lucy Smith, their friends who resided at New Orleans.  While at Pass Christian, Dr. D.S. Taylor of Gulfport provided the Misses Wilsons with suitable steeds.(The Daily Herald, December 27, 1913, p. 1 and  30, 1913, p. 1)

       Although President Wilson essentially maintained his Pass Christian winter vacation de rigueur as the summer trek to Cornish, Hampshire, i.e. he played golf in the morning, took a ride in a motorcar in the afternoon, and spent his evenings at home reading sans social or political company, he was touched indirectly by the local populous.  Mr. U.B. Parker, a Wiggins, Mississippi attorney sent him forty, recently slain, quail.  They were delivered to the Herndon House by a special messenger who traveled by rail from Wiggins then situated in the northern part of Harrison County.(The Daily Herald, December 31, 1913, p. 1)

     He was observed by Lillian Russell (1860-1922), chanteuse and first diva of the American theater, as her train slowed while passing the links.  Miss Russell and her orchestra had played New Orleans on New Year’s Eve and was east bound.(The Daily Herald, January 2, 1914, p. 1)

1914-Daray

            In late March, Jack Daray planned to remain at the golf club for several weeks to supervise course improvements: changing the drainage pattern of one green; removing several traps at the bunkers; and placing the entire golf course into excellent condition for the coming summer season.  Mr. Daray will spend his summer at the Highland Park Club in Grand Rapids, Michigan.  The past winter season was the most successful on the history of the Mississippi Coast club. (The Daily Herald, March 26, 1914, p. 1)

1916- 2nd Annual Mississippi Golf Association Tournament

            Held at MCCC in June 1916.  George E. Ensminger of the Jackson Country Club was in charge.(The Daily Herald, June 12, 1916, p. 1)

1919-Great Southern Golf Club

            The name of the country club was changed some time ago.  The club is operated by the Great Southern Hotel-one of the best in the South.(The Daily Herald,  January 30, 1919, p. 1)

1930

      Great Southern Country Club will open the golf course on January 1, 1930.  Course closed since last winter season for $12,000 in improvements.  The course now measures 6006 yards at par 71.  The course improvement work may have been under the supervision of Jack Daray of the Olympia Fields at Chicago and the Biloxi Golf Club.  The $12,000 cost does not include the cost of construction in front of the clubhouse which faces Beach Boulevard on the Gulf.  Sidewalks have been laid along the beach front and many improvements have been made to the clubhouse in the form of indoor amusements and recreation.  Jim Wilson who has been club winter professional since 1923 or 1924 arrived recently from Ravisloe Country Club at Chicago.  He had been at the Kent Country Club at Grand Rapids, Illinois eight years prior to coming to the Coast.  Wilson will be assisted by Syd Jermyn, a local golfer.  Jim Wilson holds the club record at 69.  The amateur record is 70 by Joe Finn of Olympia Fields in Chicago..(The Daily Herald,  December 30, 1927, p. 10)

1934

            The Great Southern Hotel closed in late May 1934.  All hotel rooms have been vacated and the hostelry is no longer accepting lodgers or bookings.  Joe Beeman has been the manager of the hotel in recent times responded with “no comment’ when asked when the large structure would reopen in the future.  It is owned by Grace Jones Stewart, the spouse of W.T. Stewart and daughter of the late Joseph T. Jones.  The Stewarts reside in New York.(The Daily Herald, June 1, 1934, p. 1)

1944

       The Gulfport Open, a PGA golf tournament, was held at the Great Southern course from March 3, 1944 to March 5, 1944.  The prize money was $6000 in war bonds.  Harold ‘Jug’ McSpaden won the 72-hole tournament shooting eight under par defeating Sammy Byrd, runner-up, by six strokes.  Byron Nelson placed third.  Freddie Haas, NOLA golfer, was the amateur winner.  McSpaden won a $1000 war bond; Byrd a $750 war bond; and Byron Nelson a $550 war bond.  Ashton Barrett was Club President at this time and Jim Wilson. Club Professional.(The Daily Herald, March 1, 1944, p. 2, March 3, 1944, p. 2, and March 6, 1944, p. 2)

     Jug McSpaden, Sammy Byrd and Byron Nelson went to Keesler Field at Biloxi on March 3, 1944 to demonstrate their links skills to the servicemen.(The Daily Herald, March 4, 1944, p. 6)

 

1951

       Maurice Laurence 'Maurie ' Wells (1895-1973), golf professional at the Cascade Hills Country Club at Grand Rapids, Michigan for thirty years has been appointed as Great Southern Club professional for the winter season, December 1st thru March 1952.  Maurie was a long-time friend of Jim Wilson, late professional of the club.  Maurie Wells had three sons, James W. Wells, George F. Wells, and Jack W. Wells, who play golf.(The Daily Herald, November 16, 1951, p. 3 and 1930 Kent, Co., Michigan Federal Census R1002, p. 9B, ED 64)

 

REFERENCES:

Books

Henry W. Black, Gulfport: beginning and growth, (Rivendell Publishng Company: Bowling Green, Kentucky-1986).

J.H. Lang, History of Harrison County, Mississippi, 1936, p. 157 and p. 220.

Melodia B. Rowe,The Story of Estate; Another chapter of the romance of business in the land of opportunity, (The Hill-Brown Printing Co.-1937)

Melodia B. Rowe, Captain Jones, the biography of a builder, (The Hill-Brown Printing Company-1942)

 

Journals

1908

 

1909

The Daily Herald, “Country Club Opens”, January 29, 1909, p. 3.

The Daily Herald, “Country Club”, September 2, 1909, p. 1.

The Daily Herald, “A large country club projected”, September 2, 1909, p. 1.

The Daily Herald, “Meeting of the Country Club”, September 10, 1909, p. 1.

The Daily Herald, “Country club links to be finest in South”, October 23, 1909, p. 5.

The Daily Herald, “Country club issues prospectus”, December 17, 1909, p. 1.

The Daily Herald, “Chevalley and Fursden get contract”, December 29, 1909, p. 5.

 

1910

The Daily Herald, “Country Club opens”, January 29, 1910, p. 3.

The Daily Herald, “Work progresses at Country Club”, February 2, 1910, p. 1.

The Daily Herald, “Clubhouse to cost $10,000 more or less”, November 1, 1910, p. 1.

The Daily Herald, “Nieman sanguine as to Club’s future”, November 12, 1910, p. 6.

The Daily Herald, “Death of “Bert” Jones”, December 27, 1910. p.1.

The Daily Herald, “Will a scramble follow for G. and S. I.?”, December 28, 1910, p. 1.

The Daily Herald, “The passing of a good man?”, December 28, 1910, p. 4.

 

1911

 

1912

The Daily Herald, “Will see game professional golf”, March 19, 1912, p. 4.

The Daily Herald, “Local players win at golf”, March 25, 1912, p. 5.

The Daily Herald, “Driver among the Buffalonians”, August 21, 1912, p. 1.

 

1913

The Columbus  [Georgia] Daily Inquirer, “”, December   , 1913, p. .

The Daily Herald, “”, December   1913, p.   .

The Daily Herald, “Golf tournament this afternoon”, December 6, 1913.

The Daily Herald, “Golf tournament nears the end”, December 8,1913.

The Daily Herald, “President Wilson may spend Christmas in Gulfport”, December 13, 1913.

The Daily Herald, “Championship between Fanning and J.C. Simpson”, December 16, 1913.

The Daily Herald, “President Wilson will arrive at Pass at six-one in the morning”, December 24, 1913, p. 1.

The Daily Herald, “Gulfport Society and Personal Interests”, December 27,1913.

The Daily Herald, “Little girl presents Wilson with flowers”, December 27, 1913.

The Daily Herald, “”, December   1913, p.   .

The Daily Herald, “”, December   1913, p.   .

The Daily Herald, “Fanning is golf champion”, December 22, 1913.

The Daily Herald, “Wilson distinguishes self as fire fighter”, December 26, 1913, p. 1.

The Daily Herald, “The action of a great man”, December 26, 1913, p. 4.

The Daily Herald, “Little girl presents Wilson with flowers”, December 27, 1913, p. 1.

The Daily Herald, “Will not ask for medal”, December 29, 1913, p. 4.

The Daily Herald, “Points out scene of fire”, December 29, 1913, p. 1

The Daily Herald, “President likes he front seat”, December 30, 1913, p. 1.

The Daily Herald, “Wilson seems to be regaining strength fast”, December 30, 1913.

The Daily Herald, “Golfing season opens formally”, December 30, 1913

The Daily Herald, “Parker bags 40 quail for the president”, December 31, 1913.

The Macon [Georgia] Weekly Telegraph, “President Wilson and family in Mississippi,  December 26, 1913.

The Macon [Georgia] Weekly Telegraph, “Boys fight to caddy for President Wilson”, December 30, 1913.

The State [Columbia, S.C.], “Birthday comes to Mr. President”,

 

1914

The Daily Herald, “Stalled auto truck extricated by Mrs. Wilson yesterday afternoon”, January3, 1914, p. 1.

The Daily Herald, “Lillian Russell takes peek at President playing golf”, January 6, 1914, p. 1.

The Daily Herald, “Wilson joins Gulfport Fire Department-enroll as honorary member”, January 6, 1914, p. 1.

The Daily Herald, “Golf tournament played tomorrow”, January 6, 1914, p. 4.

The Daily Herald, “Willett writes from Gulfport of Tigers for 1914, January 6, 1914, p. 7.

The Daily Herald, “President gives candy and cake to children”, January7, 1914, p. 1.

The Daily Herald, “President Wilson will hold reception for Coast residents”, January 9, 1914, p. 1.

The Daily Herald, “Biloxi visitors meet President”, January10, 1914, p. 2.

The Daily Herald, “Young Biloxian [Albert Weir] receives letter from President Woodrow Wilson”, January 12, 1914, p. 1.

The Daily Herald, “Dove returns to keep lonely watch over Winter White House”, January 13, 1914, p. 1.

The Daily Herald, “Scores of letters come as a result of dove incident”, January15, 1914, p. 1.

The Daily Herald, “Weekly golf tournaments start Saturday”, January 16, 1914, p. 7.

The Daily Herald, “Second gold tournament today”, January 24, 1914, p. 8.

The Daily Herald, “Jones and Maulding in golf finals” March 7,1914, p. 1.

The Daily Herald, “Improvements at Country Club”, March 26, 1914, p. 1.

The State [Columbia, S.C.], “President holds first reception”, January 11, 1914, p. 1.

1915

 

1916

The Daily Herald, “Second annual golf tournament begins tomorrow”, June 12, 1916, p. 1.

The Daily Herald, “Captain J.T. Jones passed away at his home in Buffalo, New York, early this morning”, December 6, 1916, p. 1.

The Daily Herald, “Eulogies for Captain J.T. Jones”, December   . 1916, p. 1.

The Daily Herald, “Miss Jones will not be president”, December 14, 1916, p. 2.

The Daily Herald, “Captain Jones laid to eternal rest”, December 14, 1916, p. 6.

 

1917

 

1918

The Daily Herald, “Stewart-Jones”, October 29.1918, p. 4.

The Daily Herald, “Tournament at Country Club”, March 21, 1918, p. 1.

The Daily Herald,

The Daily Herald, “Great Southern Golf Club”, January 30, 1919, p.1.

The Daily Herald, “Great Southern golf grounds open”, January 5, 1920, p. 2.

The Daily Herald, “Biloxi golf links crowded with players-tournaments begin soon”, February 8, 1922, p. 1.

The Daily Herald, “Great Southern golf club to open course January 1”, December 30, 1927, p. 10.

The Daily Herald, “Death takes Mrs. J.T. Jones”, March 12, 1931, p. 1.

The Daily Herald, “Coast hotel [Great Southern] closes doors”, June 1, 1934, p. 1.

The Daily Herald,

The Daily Herald,

 

1944

The Daily Herald, “Pro-Amateur set Thursday at Great Southern; sub-par practice rounds registered”, March 1, 1944, p. 2.

The Daily Herald, “Gulfport Open first round today, Ed Dudley only one stroke off course record”, March 3, 1944, p. 2.

The Daily Herald, “McSpaden takes early lead in Gulfport Open tourney; 36 holes scheduled Sunday”, March 4, 1944, p. 2.

The Daily Herald, “Golf Stars appear at Keesler Field”, March 4, 1944, p. 6.

The Daily Herald, “McSpaden eight under par to capture Gulfport Open; Sammy Byrd is runner-up”, March 6, 1944, p. 2.

 

Personal Communication:

W. Dayton Robinson of Pass Christian, Mississippi-telephone conversation on August 4, 2008.

 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

BILOXI GOLF CLUB

                                                                                 

 

 

 

                                                                                  1918

The Biloxi Golf Club was established in 1918 on what is now Keesler AFB.  Golf professional and designer, Jack L. Daray (1881-1958), a native of New Orleans, designed this course, as well as Gulf Hills, and other in Illinois and California.  At this time, Mr. Daray and his family were domiciled at Grand Rapids, Michigan and spent the winter golf season at Biloxi.  In the spring of 1925, Jack Daray was supervising the construction of the new 18-hole course at the Biloxi Golf Club.  The original golf course was doing well enough to warrant additional holes.  At this time, three greens had been finished.  Mr. Daray planned to remain in Biloxi until nine-holes were ready for play, before returning to his home base, Olympia Fields near Chicago and  the largest golf course in the world.  Jack Daray was credited with influencing both amateur and professional links men and women to come south and play the Biloxi course.  Their increasing numbers were responsible for creating the new links at Biloxi, and were probably an impetus for creating Gulf Hills at Ocean Springs by the BranigarBrothers later in 1925.(The Daily Herald, March 23, 1918, p. 1 and April 2, 1925, p. 5)

The Biloxi Golf Club was chartered in March 1918 by John J. Kennedy (18-1949), Elbert L. Dukate and Edward Brady.(The Daily Herald, March 26, 1918, p. 2)

The Biloxi Golf Club was situated on a 110-acre tract acquired from Cora E. White (1864-1934) in northwest Biloxi.  Construction of the golf course commenced in mid-March 1918, under the supervision of golf professional, Jack Daray (1881-1958) of Grand Rapids, Michigan.(The Daily Herald, March 22, 1918, p.

                                                                         Tax exemption

On April 16, 1918, Dr. Hyman M. Folkes requested that the Biloxi city government grant the Biloxi Golf Club a tax exemption.  Mayor Ed Glennan and the city council adopted a resolution granting the golf club a ten year grace from city taxes.  They also vacated that portion of White Avenue north of Howard Avenue for the use of the Biloxi Golf Club.(The Daily Herald,  April 17, 1918, p. 3)                     

                                                                              Water line

Pipe to supply potable water to the Biloxi Golf Club arrived by rail in mid-June 1918.  Biloxi Water Works Superintendent Tucei.(The Daily Herald, June 14, 1918, p. 3)

1920
 
 
1921
 
 
1923
The Biloxi Golf Club clubhouse, designed by Carl Matthes and built by T.J. Rosell, general contractor, was completed by August 1923.(The Dailoy Herald, August 1923.(The Daily Herald, August 30, 1923, p. 1)
 
 
1924
The 1924 Mississippi Golf Association championship was held at the Biloxi Golf Club in early June.  Bob Gormly, a resident of Shell Beach and future Biloxi resident, lost to E.L. Enochs of Fernwood 2-1, in the 2nd Flight.  Oren Williams of Biloxi    (The Daily Herald, June 6, 1924, p. 1)

Champion Charles W. Kettleman of Greenville retained his title by beating Charles Green of Laurel 2-1 in the thirty-six hole, championship match.(The Daily Herald, June 9, 1924, p. 1)

1925

In January, Jack Daray returned to supervise and instruct at the Biloxi Country Club.  Jerry Glynn, a professional golf teacher from Olympia Fields at Chicago, joined Daray.(The Daily Herald, January 8, 1925, p. 1)

The Gulf States Championship held in late March 1925, at the Biloxi Golf Club saw young Bob Gormly of Pass Christian lose in the championship flight to Don Hamilton of Chicago 2 up.  Fred Lamphrect, a student at Tulane and playing out of the Audubon Country Club of New Orleans was the winner.(The Daily Herald, March 20, 1925, p. 3 and March 25, 1925, p. 1)

At the age of fourteen, Bob Gormly defeated a veteran player from New Orleans, Al Reuning, in the 1st flight of the Mid-Summer tournament held at the Biloxi Golf Club.  Don Gormly only twelve beat Phil Parker, also from New Orleans, for the 2nd flight.  The format was match play.(The Daily Herald, June 13, 1925, p. 8)

In June 1925, Bob Gormly traveled to Jackson, Mississippi to compete in the annual tournament of the Mississippi Golf Association.  After the opening round, he faced medallist, Orrin or Oren Williams (b. 1900) of Biloxi.  He lost to Williams, the eventual champion, but won a trophy for his finish in the First Flight of the links contest.  Orrin Williams had also won the Golfer’s Magazine Trophy Tournament at Biloxi in February 1924. (The Daily Herald, February 24, 1924, p. 1 and June 22, 1925, p. 5)

In mid-July 1925, Bob Gormly and younger brother Don Gormly won the first and second flights of the mid-summer golf tournament held at the Biloxi Golf Club.  Both teens defeated older gentlemen, Al Reuning (1908-1974) and Phil Parker, from New Orleans.  Their father presented them their awards.(The Jackson County Times, July 18, 1925, p. 3)

1926

In early June 1926, Clarence W. Gormly and Bob Gormly attended a celebration in the Crescent City honoring Marion Turpie, Southern Woman’s Golf Champion.  Miss Turpie was a close family friend.(The Jackson County Times, June 12, 1926, p. 3)

In late June 1926, Bob Gormly defeated Al Welch of Biloxi for the Mississippi State Amateur Golf Championship on the Laurel Country Club links at Laurel, Mississippi.  Gormly was accompanied to Laurel by Mark Lee of Ocean Springs.  Lee had won tournaments in Arkansas and Mississippi.  Gormly competed in the National Junior golf championships at Chicago in August 1926.(The Jackson County Times, June 19, 1926 and Way Down South, July 17, 1926, p. 6)

1932

                                                                                                                1932 Officers

E.L. Brady (1867-1939), president; Fred Ferson, vice-president; Eugene Peresich, treasurer; and Irwin B. Cowie (1879-1949), secretary.  Board of Directors: W.E. Beasley; W.V. Joyce; John E. Breaux; Al Welch; and Jack Daray (1881-1958).(The Daily Herald,  April 11, 1932, p. 2)                                                                                                                         

                                                                                                                        1933

 

Professional Jack Daray and family who spent the winter at the Tivoli Hotel left for Chicago.  Daray went to the White Pines Golf Club at Bensonville, Illinois for the summer.  W.E Beasley was in charge of the Biloxi Gulf Club for the spring-summer season.(The Daily Herald, March 17, 1933, p. 9)

                                                                                                     1934-The Biloxi Country Club

In January 1934, Clarence W. Gormly leased the Biloxi Golf Club and planned to incorporate it as the Biloxi Country Club.  The Biloxi Golf Club had been founded in May 1918, by a group of wealthy Biloxi citizens led by Edward Brady (1867-1939), John J. Kennedy (1875-1949), and Elbert L. Dukate.  Its membership included such local notables as: John W. Apperson (1862-1939), Byrd Enochs (1875-1940), Lyman Bradford (1863-1944), Walter E. White (1891-1940), Louis B. Joyner (1889-1926), and James C. Elmer (1888-1920).  The Biloxi Golf Club had a capital stock of $30,000, which was increased to $50,000 in March 1925.(HARCO, Ms. Charter Bk. 18, p. 253 and Bk. 34, p. 518)

                                                                                                                                      1940

In early May, Gene Yousko (1908-1964), medalist, beat Mickey Bellande (1909-1982) with a birdie on the last hole of their 36-hole final match for the Biloxi Golf Club championship.  Bellande trailed Youko by five strokes beginning the second eighteen holes and rallied to twice even the match.  Anson Holley defeated Robert Gilly to win the First Flight and Kos Jackson bested Carl Budinich for 2nd Flight honors.(The Daily Herald, April 29, 1940, p. 6 and May 6, 1940, p. 2)

1941

In February, James A. Mustard was the golf professional at the Biloxi Country Club.  At this time, the Biloxi Golf Club played matches against Gulfport linksters.  In early February, the following Biloxi golfers were selected to compete against Gulfport: Mickey Bellande (1909-1982); Anson Holley; W.E. 'Bill' Beasley; W.V. Joyce; Dr. B.B. O'Mara; Gules Peresich; Kos Jackson; Addison Thomas; Robert Gilly; Leo Kostmayer; Ed Rankin; John Boulen; Mason Tuttle; R.S. Russ Jr., Mike Emile; Jimmie Williams; Tony Fallo; Bill Joyce; George Davis; George Wilkes; and Dr. James Wallace. The Gulfport team won the last match several weeks ago.(The Daily Herald, February 1, 1941, p. 2)     

In 1941, the course and clubhouse became integrated into the new Army Air Corps training school, which was later named Keesler Air Force Base. (The Daily Herald, January 9, 1934, p. 6 and March 23, 1918, p. 1, and Husley, 1996, p. 134)

     In November 1941, James A. Mustard (1906-2000), golf professional, was hired by Gulf Hills for the winter season. Mr. Mustard came to the USA from Scotland in 1928 and had formerly worked at the Biloxi Country Club with Edward Rankin. James A. Mustard spends the summer golf season at Janesville, Wisconsin.  Mr. Rankin will join him at Gulf Hills coming from Detroit.(The Daily Herald, November 22, 1941, p. 5)

 

REFERENCES:

F. Val Husley, Keesler Air Force Base: A history of the site and its environs to 1941, (Office of History, 81st Training Wing: KAFB-1996).

 

Journals

The Daily Herald, “Plans underway to establish a Country Club with $20,000 capital”, March 19, 1918.

The Daily Herald, “”,

The Daily Herald, “Country Club work pushed”, March 22, 1918.

The Daily Herald,“Work on Biloxi Golf Club course will begin on Monday morning”, March 23, 1918, p. 1.

The Daily Herald, “Charter of Incorporation of the Biloxi Golf Club”, March 26, 1918.

The Daily Herald, “Tax exemption for golf club”, April 17, 1918, p. 3.

The Daily Herald, “Biloxi Golf Club to organize”, May 28, 1918.

The Daily Herald, “Pipe arrived for golf links”, June 14, 1918.

The Daily Herald, “Biloxi golf course among the best”, October 18, 1918, p. 3.

The Daily Herald, “Biloxi golf club officials here”, December 21, 1918.

The Daily Herald,“Mobile County club players win intercity meet over Biloxi course”, April 17, 1922, p. 1.

 

The Daily Herald, “Good winter golf season”, August 23, 1923.

The Daily Herald, “State Golfers want Biloxi”, April 19, 1924, p. 3.

The Daily Herald, “Mississippi Golfers Biloxi bound”, May 31, 1924, p. 1.

The Daily Herald, “Tournament opens tomorrow”, June 3, 1924, p. 1.

The Daily Herald, “Mississippi Golf Association opened 9th session today”, June 4, 1924, p. 1.

The Daily Herald, “Biloxi makes strong fight”, June 6, 1924, p. 1.

The Daily Herald, “Golfers’, go to Jackson next”, June 7, 1924.

The Daily Herald, “State champ retains title”, June 9, 1924, p. 1.

The Daily Herald, “Biloxi Club is improved”, January 8, 1925.

The Daily Herald, “Breaux and Barbour temporary officers in new Golf Club”, May 30, 1934.

The Daily Herald, “Walter Hagen, pro golfer, in Biloxi”, February 26, 1936.

The Daily Herald, “Gene Yousko and Mickey Bellande in finals of tourney”, April 29, 1940.

The Daily Herald, “Gene Yousko wins over Bellande in finals of tourney”, May 6, 1940.

The Daily Herald, “Biloxi team named for intercity play”, February 1, 1941.
The Daily Herald, “James Mustard pro at Gulf Hills”, November 22, 1941.
 

The Daily Herald, “”,

The Daily Herald, “”,
The Daily Herald, “”,
The Daily Herald, “”,
The Daily Herald, “”,
 
 
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

SUNKIST COUNTRY CLUB

With the vision and diligence of William E. ‘Bill’ Beasley (1881-1963) and Ashton C. Barrett (1901-1990), the Sunkist Country Club came to fruition shortly after the completion of the new Popp’s Ferry Bridge.  This eighteen-hole golf links is situated north of Popp’s Ferry Road on 128-acres in Section 15, T7S-R10W.  Sunkist Country Club  was incorporated in Harrison County, Mississippi June 1953 by Ashton C. Barrett, William E. ‘Bill’ Beasley, Robert R. Buntin (1895-1966), and Victor B. Pringle (1909-1977).

Ashton C. Barrett (1901-1990) and Virginia Anderson Barrett (1904-1997) sold two parcels of land totaling 128-acres in Section 15, T7S-R10W north of Popp’s Ferry Road to William E. ‘Bill’ Beasley (1881-1963), president of Golf Course Incorporated, in July 1953(Harrison Co., Ms. Land Deed Bk. 370, p. 428)

The Biloxi Country Club, which would shortly be renamed the Sunkist Country Club, announced plans to build its clubhouse in late December.  The $90,000 structure was designed by John T. Collins, Biloxi architect.  The dimensions of the builsing were planned as: 162 feet by 36 feet. Officers of the club at this time were: William E. Beasley, pres.; Robert R. Buntin, v. pres.; Giles Peresich, treas.; and Lee Kostmayer, sec.  Board of Directors: Biloxi-Joseph V. Lawrence; Glen Swetman; Vernon B. Pringle; Earl C. Nolan; and Anson Holley Jr.  Gulfport-Arthur V. Hays; Ashton Barrett; and H.C. Thompson.(The Daily Herald, December 23, 1952, p. 9)

In February 1954, Golf Course Incorporated sold the golf course situated on about 120-acres to Sunkist Country Club Incorporated.  Mr. Beasley also gave a five-year lease to the Sunkist Country Club on 8.8-acres where the country club house was situated.( Harrison Co., Ms. Chattel Deed Bk. 149, p. 112, Harrison Co., Ms. Land Deed Bk. 378, p. 528, and Harrison Co., Ms. Land Deed Bk. 378, p. 525)

In May 1953, W.E. Beasley, the course developer, Marcel ‘Mickey’ Bellande (1909-1982), Joseph ‘Joe’ V. Lawrence (1902-1975), and Giles H. Peresich (1918-1985) were the first foursome to tee off on the Sunkist links.  The formal opening came in late October 1953, when over six hundred members and guests were present at the culmination of four days of initial club activities.  Ashton C. Barrett (1901-1990) presented William E. Beasley, the Father of Sunkist Country Club, a plaque and portrait of himself to be hung in the clubhouse.  Mr. Beasley conceived the idea for the private golf club and had worked the past two years for its completion.  His portrait remains in the clubhouse foyer until this day.(The Daily Herald,  May 16, 1953 and October 27, 1953, p. 1)

Frank I. Steidle (1915-2007), the first golf professional at the club shot a 64 in November 1957 to break the initial course record.(The Daily Herald, November 19, 1954, p. 27)

The Sunkist Country Club was reorganized in July 1967 by Elton Pitts, James B. Rouse, Charles A. Gillis, George Altbach, Fred Huebner, A.J. Ingrassia, Alton L. Bellande (1912-1970), James C. Brashier, Jennings Camet, Roswell Kimball, Robert Parrish, and Dr. James Smith.(502, p. 202)

Tournament Winners [circa 1957]

[Seated, L-R: Margaret Mavar Lawrence (1910-2002); Louise Shonberg; and Irma Summerlin Mavar (1919-2001). Standing, L-R: Eddie Flavian (1908-1982); Alton L. Bellande (1912-1970); Victor Mavar; and Robert Lee Kostmayer (1908-2002)]

1960 CLUB CHAMPIONSHIP?

[Front, L-R: Jack D. Graham (1915-1996); ?; Earl Nolan; Alton L. Bellande (1912-1970); Grover W. Graham (1913-2009); and Woodrow Pringle.  Back, L-R: ?;?; Russell Braun; Tony Fallo (1907-1989); Curtiss P. Galle' (1910-1992); Giles Peresich (1918-1985); ?; Robert Buntyn; and ?]