Croatian arrivals from Lovran, Croatia-Cosmich, Kersanac and Peresich.
Frank Cosmich (1863-1959) was born November 8, 1863 at Lovran, County Istria, Croatia. At New Orleans, Louisiana on August 9, 1906, he married Maria Elizabeth Nicolich (1874-1946), a native of Lussinpiccolo, now called Mali Losinj, situated on the island of Losinj, also in Istria. Frank Cosmich arrived in America circa 1886 and Maria E. Nicolich circa 1905. They were the parents of four children: Andrew Cosmich (1908-1908); John Frank Cosmich (1909-2009) m. Clara A. Skrnich (1912-2003); Annie Cosmich (1912-2000); and Caroline Cosmich (1915-1915). (The Daily Herald, January 25, 1946, p. 7 and February 25, 1959, p. 2)
The Cosmich family lived at 222 Myrtle Street and later at 1411 1st Street on Point Cadet and worked in the seafood industry. John was an oysterman and Maria Cosmich was an oyster shucker.(1920 and 1930 Harrison Co., Mississippi Federal Census T625_876, p. 27A, ED 39 and R 1146, p. 21A, ED 2)
Andrew Cosmich (1908-1908) was born at Bay St. Louis, Mississippi on April 4, 1908. He died there on July 29, 1908. Andrew’s corporal remains were interred in the Cedar Rest Cemetery in Bay St. Louis, Mississippi.
JOHN F. COSMICH
John Frank Cosmich (1909-2009), known as Captain Bill, was born at Bay St. Louis, Mississippi on June 3, 1909. In July 1934, in Harrison County, Mississippi, he married Clara Ann Skrnich (1905-2003), the daughter of John Skrnich Sr. (1887-1968) and Antonia Kuljis (1890-1968). They were the parents of John F. Cosmich Jr. m. Leanna R. Bessie (1941-1996) and Doris Jean Allen; and Patricia Ann Cosmich m. Peter James Kuluz.
Captain Bill Cosmich was a longtime Captain of the shrimp boat, Dolores S. After retirement from shrimping in the Mexican Gulf, he worked for many years at the Baricev’s Seafood Restaurant and Oyster Bar in Biloxi. Captain Cosmich died at Ocean Springs, Mississippi on January 14, 2009. He was survived by two children, John F. Cosmich Jr., his son, and Patricia Ann ‘Patsy’ Cosmich Kuluz, his daughter; twelve grandchildren; 18 great grandchildren; and two great, great grandchildren. Bill worshipped at St. Michael’s Catholic Church and was a member of the Croatian Slavic Benevolent Association and lifelong member of the United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners of America. His corporal remains were interred at Southern Memorial Park in west Biloxi adjacent to his wife who preceded him in death.(The Sun Herald, January 16, 2009)
ANNIE C. COSMICH
Annie C. Cosmich (1912-2000) was born at Bay St. Louis on April 4, 1912. She was a lifelong Biloxi resident and a member of St. Michael Catholic Church, the Altar Society, and the Slavic Ladies Auxiliary. She expired on July 13, 2000 and her corporal remains were interred in the Biloxi Cemetery.(The Sun Herald, July 14, 2000, p. A9)
Andrew Cosmich (1915-1915) was born at Bay St. Louis, Mississippi on July 22, 1915. He died there on November 16, 1915. Caroline’s corporal remains were interred in the Cedar Rest Cemetery in Bay St. Louis, Mississippi.
The Daily Herald,“Mrs. Cosmich dies”, January 25, 1946.
The Daily Herald,“Frank Cosmich”, February 25, 1959.
The Sun Herald,“Leanna B. Cosmich”, September 9, 1996, p. A2.
The Sun Herald,“Annie C. Cosmich”, July 14, 2000, p. A9.
The Sun Herald,“John F. ‘Captain Bill’ Cosmich”, January 16, 2009.
John Joseph Kersanac (1884-1959), the son of Joseph Kersanac and Mary Cosmich, was born at Lovran, Istria County, Croatia in November or December 1884, although his tombstone in the Biloxi Cemetery lists his birth as June 17, 1884. John arrived at New Orleans, Louisiana on January 4, 1898 on a steamship that had left the port of Fiume, now Rijeka, Croatia.(Declaration of Intent No. 343, Southern District Court of South Mississippi, December 5, 1917)
John J. Kersenac married Antonio Barhonovich (1887-1968), a native of Supetar, Brac, Split-Dalmatia County, Croatia. Her sister, Vincentia Mary Barhonovich (1894-1968), had married Mitchell V. Gruich (1886-1958), native of Trogir, Dalmatia and the founder of the Gruich family of Biloxi, Mississippi in Harrison County, Mississippi on May 20, 1914.
John and Antonio were the parents of: Mary Ann Kersanac (1910-1983); Antonia Kersanac (1915-1916); Josephine Antonia Kersanac (1915-1968) m. Thoral Gerald Vint (1917-1968); and Joseph J. Kersanac Jr. (1908-1943) m. Catherine Virginia Benvenutti.
John J. Kersanac expired at his residence, 215 Cadet Street, in Biloxi, Mississippi on November 29, 1959. He had been a resident of Biloxi for fifty-eight years and had fished the Gulf waters for most of his life. John was a member of the Slavonian Lodge and Seafood Workers Association. He was survived by his wife, Mrs. Antonia Barhonovich; two daughters, Miss Mary Kersanac and Mrs. Theral [sic] Vint; three sisters, Mrs. Josephine Mitchell, Italy; Mrs. Catherine Tassorita, Italy; and Mrs. Tom Palmich, New York; one grandson and one great grandson.
Joseph J. Kersanac
Joseph J. Kersanac Jr. (1908-1943) was born at Bay St. Louis, Mississippi. He married Catherine V. Benvenutti. They were the parents of an infant (1937-1937) and Joseph J. Kersanac Jr.
Joseph moved to Biloxi as a child and had made his livelihood in the seafood business and also operated a café in Ocean Springs situated near on US Highway 90 at the foot of the Biloxi-Ocean Springs bridge.
In 1939, Joseph J. Kersanac (1908-1943), a native of Bay St. Louis, opened a restaurant called Kersanac's Snug Harbor. He also sold Texaco gas and oil. On April 1, 1939, Kersanac announced that he was demolishing the present building "to make room for a new, larger and more modern one". The food serving operation never shut down as Kersanac offered "curb service" during construction of the his new structure. The new building was wood framed and had living quarters on the second floor.(The Jackson County Times, April 1, 1939 and The Daily Herald, August 23, 1943, p. 6)
Mary Ann Kersanac
Josephine A. Kersanac
Josephine Antonio Kersanac (1915-1968) was born at Bay St. Louis, Mississippi. She married Thoral Gerard Vint (1917-1968), a native of Olney, Illinois, in Harrison County, Mississippi on April 5, 1947.(Harrison Co., Mississippi Circuit Court MRB 74, p. 123)
Josephine died on December 12, 1968 at Slidell, Louisiana. She was reared in Biloxi, Mississippi and was a veteran of WW II and served as a Sergeant in the Women's Army Corp. Josephine was survived by her spouse and a sister, Miss Mary Kersanac (1910-1983) of Biloxi. Bradford-O'Keefe Funeral Home of Biloxi directed the funeral of Mrs. Vint. A Mass was held at St. Michael's Catholic Church in Biloxi followed by internment in Southern Memorial Park.
The Daily Herald,“”,
The Daily Herald,“”,
The Daily Herald,“Kersanac-Benveniutti”, November 11, 1933, p. 2.
The Daily Herald,“Ocean Springs building”,March 4, 1939, p. 2.
The Daily Herald,“Joseph J. Kersanac”, August 23, 1943, p. 6.
The Daily Herald,“John Kersanac”,November 30, 1959, p.2.
The Daily Herald,“Mrs Antonio [sic]Kersanac”, April 8, 1968, p. 2.
The Daily Herald,“Thoral G. Vint”, August 13, 1968, p. 2.
The Daily Herald,“Mrs. Josephine Vint”, December 12, 1968, p. 2.
The Daily Herald,“Mrs. Josephine Vint”, December 13, 1968, p. 2.
The Sun Herald,“Joseph John Kersanac”, November 14, 2002, p. A8.
The Jackson County Times,“Kersanac’s Snug Harbor”, April 15, 1939, p. 1.
Joseph Peresich (1852-1933) and Adelaide Ritter Peresich (1864-1936)
[Courtesy of Matt Lyons Jr.-January 2014]
The Peresich family of Biloxi, Mississippi had its origin with Joseph Peresich (1852-1933), a native of Lovran, Primorje-Gorski region, Croatia. Joseph was the son of Joseph Peresich and Mary Sepelich. He left the Croatian coast at the age of twelve to make his livelihood on the sea. Arriving in New Orleans in 1875, he chose to live in the United States and became a resident of the Crescent City. Here Joseph Peresich married Adelaide Ritter (1864-1936), the daughter of Frank Ritter and Catherine Muller (1837-1900+), in March 1883.
CHILDREN of JOSEPH PERESICH
Joseph Peresich and Adlelaide Ritter were the parents of nine children and seven lived to see the dawning of the 20th Century: Marie J. Peresich (1884-1963) m. Gasper John Pisarich (1873-1951); Anna Florence Peresich (1886); Josephine Clara Peresich (1887-1960); Francis George Peresich (1890); Matthew [Matteo] Stephen Peresich (1892-1963) m. Anna A. Moreno (1889-1917) and Effie May Thompson (1897-1983); Eugene A. Peresich (1895-1960) m. Althea Harkness (1897-1975); Adelaide Mabel Peresich (1897-1943) m. John Christian Lyons (1890-1950); Marion Louise Peresich (1900-1900); Antonio Amelia Peresich (1901-1959), and Rudolph Louis Peresich (1904-1985) m. Inez Blanche Hepler and Hazel A. Lyons (1890-1974).(Lepre, 1991, p. and p. and The Daily Herald, February 13, 1933, p. 1)
Mary J. Peresich (1884-1963) and Gasper J. Pisarich (1873-1951)
[Courtesy of Matt Lyons Jr.-January 2014]
MARIE J. PERESICH
Gasper John Pisarich (1873-1951) was born February 8, 1873 in Croatia. He immigrated to America circa 1897 and married Marie J. Peresich (1884-1963) in Harrison County, Mississippi on January 7, 1903.(Harrison Co., Mississippi Circuit County MRB 14, p. 200)
John Joseph Pisarich (1903-1982) m. Amanda Davidson (1906-1980); Ray Vincent Pisarich (1905-1988) m. Eunice Carmelite Blanchard (1907-2005); Adelaide Pisarich m. James A. Allen; Elvira Gertrude Pisarich (1909-1999) m. Earl Louis William Anglada (1909-1973); Maria Pisarich (1909-1995) m. Noel E. Balius (1905-1994); Anna Mae Pisarich (1912-1996) m. Charles Alfred Lewis; Francis Matthew Pisarich (1918-2008) m. Mary L. Davis (1922-2012+); Josephine Pisarich (1921-2001) m. Francis J. Malpass (1917-2002); Glenn Anthony Pisarich (1926-1960) m. Joyce Elizabeth McDonnell (1929-2006).
Josephine C. Peresich
[Courtesy of Matt Lyons Jr.-January 2014]
JOSEPHINE C. PERESICH
Josephine Clara Peresich (1887-1960), called Josie, was born March 19, 1887 at Biloxi. Josie lived at 509 Seal Avenue and was employed by the Southern Bell Telephone Company. After 44 years of service, she retired in March 1952 and received a lifetime membership in the Telephone Pioneers of Biloxi.
Josephine died this morning, August 9, 1960, in the Biloxi Hospital.
Miss Peresich had been a life member of Nativity BVM Catholic Church and a member of its Altar Society and Apostleship of Prayer. She was survived by a sister, Mrs. Gaspar Pisarich; three brothers, Matthew S. Peresich; Eugene Adam Peresich Sr.; and Rudolph L. Peresich, all of Biloxi; and numerous nieces and nephews. Bradford-O'Keefe Funeral Home of Biloxi directed the funeral of Miss Peresich which was held at Nativity BVM Catholic Church with a Requiem Mass followed by internment in the Biloxi Cemetery.(The Daily Herald, August 9, 1960, p. 2)
FRANCIS G. PERESICH
Francis George Peresich (1890-pre 1900) as born at Biloxi on July 1, 1890 and baptized at Nativity BVM Catholic Church on December 28, 1890. He was not in the 1900 Federal Census of Harrison County, Mississippi and must have been one of three infants born to Joseph and Adelaide Peresich that did not live until 1900.(Lepre, 1990, p. 250)
MATTHEW S. PERESICH
Matthew Stephen ‘Motsie’ Peresich (1892-1963) was born February 5, 1892. He married Anna Augusta ‘Pansy’ Moreno (1889-1917), a native of New Orleans and the daughter of Frank J. Moreno and Anna Dornhauser.(Harrison Co., Mississippi Circuit County MRB 27, p. 327)
Pansy Peresich died at Biloxi on November 6, 1917. She had an infant daughter that was born and died on August 18, 1915. Her funeral was held from the residence of her father at 219 Keller Avenue.(The Daily Herald, November 6, 1917)
While he was leave from duty with US Army serving with the 114th Ammo Train at Camp Beauregard, Louisiana, Motsie’ Peresich married Effie May Thompson in Harrison County, Mississippi on March 23, 1918. They were the parents of four daughters: Edna Peresich (1918-2004) m. Edmund Chadwick Campbell (1914-1994); Jovita Peresich (1920-2012) m. Cleo J. Falgout (1923-1944); Evelyn Peresich (1922-1995) m. Joseph L. Creel (1913- 2004); and infant girl Peresich (1941-1941). (Harrison Co., Mississippi Circuit Court MRB 30, p. 83 and The Daily Herald, March 22, 1918)
Effie Thompson (1897-1983) was born at Biloxi on July 2, 1897 to Frank Thompson (1874-1910), a native of Alabama and a boatman, and Margaret C. Guy Ladner (1872-1910+). Effie’s father died of typhoid fever at Biloxi on April 18, 1910 leaving his widow and six children at 225 Dorries Street: Edna Thompson (1893-1970) m. James D. Negrotto (1888-1962); Edgar Thompson (1895-1973) m. Willemena Breal (1901-1947) and Jane Bougeard Savarro (1903-1999); Effie Thomson (1897-1983) m. Matthew S. Peresich (1892-1963); Elsie Thompson (b. 1902) m. Martin J. Lczpaniak; Lillian Thompson (1905-1983+); and William Thompson (b. 1909).(The Daily Herald, April 18, 1910 and 1910 Harrison Co., Mississippi Federal Census T624_740, p. 12A-ED 33)
While he was leave from duty with US Army serving with the 114th Ammo Train at Camp Beauregard, Louisiana, Matthew 'Motsie’ Peresich married Effie May Thompson in Harrison County, Mississippi on March 23, 1918. They were the parents of four daughters: Edna Peresich (1918-2004) m. Dr. Edmund Chadwick Campbell (1914-1994); Jovita Peresich (1920-2012) m. Cleo J. Falgout (1923-1944); Evelyn Peresich (1922-1995) m. Joseph L. Creel (1913- 2004); and infant girl Peresich (1941-1941). (Harrison Co., Mississippi Circuit Court MRB 30, p. 83 and The Daily Herald, March 22, 1918)
Effie Thompson Peresich expired at 411 Claiborne Street in Biloxi on March 8, 1983. She was employed as a cafeteria worker with the Biloxi Regional Medical Center until her retirement in January 1983. She was a member of the Episcopal Church of the Redeemer.
Mrs. Peresich was survived by three daughters: Edna Peresich Campbell of Lake Charles, Louisiana; Dr. Jovita Peresich Falgout of Houston, Texas; and Evelyn Peresich Creel of Biloxi; a sister, Miss Lillian Thompson of Atlanta, Georgia; four grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.
Bradford-O'Keefe Funeral Home of Biloxi directed the Peresich funeral services with internment in Southern Memorial Park.
Eugene A. Peresich (1895-1960)
EUGENE A. PERESICH
Eugene Adam Peresich (1895-1960) was born at Biloxi, Mississippi on March 6, 1895. He was educated at Biloxi’s Sacred Heart Academy and then began working as a Western Union delivery boy, Biloxi Daily Herald carrier , and newspaper delivery boy for Eugene Bakeler, proprietor of the Biloxi News Company. Circa 1911, Eugene then became employed as a Southern Express Company deliveryman. He relocated to Mobile to clerk for the Southern Express Company. Mr. Peresich returned to Biloxi in the same capacity until he left the company in June 1917 to join the First National Bank of Biloxi as bookkeeper. He left the banking business and returned to the American Railway Express Company in March 1918 replacing John Lockett.(The Biloxi Daily Herald, November 9, 1906, p. 2 and The Daily Herald, March 13, 1918, p. 2)
In October 17, 1917 in Harrison County, Mississippi, Eugene A. Peresich married Althea Harkness (1897-1975), the daughter of Giles A. Harkness (1871-1915) and Rosalie Henley (1876-1944). The widow, Rosalie H. Harkness, married Charles F. Gilligan (1861-1943) also in Harrison County, Mississippi on July 7, 1928.(Harrison County, Mississippi Circuit Court MRB 29, p. 414 and MRB 40, p. 430)
Watson Insurance Agency
In October 1921, the Watson Insurance Agency was acquired by Elbert L. Dukate and Edward C. Tonsmeire from Douglas Watson. Mr. Watson relocated to New Orleans, as he had purchased the LeBlanc & Railey Insurance in the Crescent City. Eugene A. Peresich was hired by Dukate and Tonsmeire to manage their new venture. Mr. Peresich had been manager of the American Railway & Express Company since 1912. He was assisted in this new venture by Antonia Peresich, his sister.(The Daily Herald, November 1, 1921, p. 6)
In October 1921, the Watson Insurance Agency was acquired by Elbert L. Dukate and Edward C. Tonsmeire from Douglas Watson. Mr. Watson relocated to New Orleans, as he had purchased the LeBlanc & Railey Insurance in the Crescent City. Eugene A. Peresich was hired by Messrs. Dukate and Tonsmeire to manage their new venture. Mr. Peresich had been manager of the American Railway & Express Company since 1912. He was assisted in this new venture by Antonia Peresich, his sister.(The Daily Herald, November 1, 1921, p. 6)
The Watson Insurance Agency had evolved from that insurance company commenced at Biloxi circa 1882 by Colonel E.W. Morrell. It proprietorship passed through several ownerships before the Dukate-Tonsmeire aquisition: Swan & Company, Swan & Bond Brothers, Bond and Watson, and then the Watson Insurance Agency of Douglas Watson.(The Daily Herald, 50th Anniversary Souvenir, Golden Jubilee Number, Biographical and Historical 1884-1934, p. 31)
In 1934, the Watson Agency was situated at 110 West Howard Avenue. It was touted to be the largest insurance agency in the State of Mississippi, the oldest on the Mississippi Gulf Coast, and one of the oldest in Mississippi. The Watson Agency represented thirty-five companies that covered clients in Mississippi and other states with fire, marine, life, surety, and casualty insurance. The officers of the corporation were: Eugene Peresich, president; Fred B. Ferson, vice-president; Antonia Peresich, secretary-treasurer. Company personnel included: Sylvia Wachenfeld, policy clerk; Florence Garner, stenographer; George A. Schwan, inspector; and W.E. Beasley, manager of real estate development.(The Daily Herald, 50th Anniversary Souvenir, Golden Jubilee Number, Biographical and Historical 1884-1934, p. 31)
In April 1939, the Watson Insurance Agency relocated from the First National Bank Building to 112 East Jackson Avenue adjacent to the US Post Office. The structure was remodeled by the Collins Brothers in February and March 1939. Air conditioning and internal reconfiguration of the rooms, as well as windows were added by the contractor. Ironically, the Watson Agency had been located in this structure in 1924.(The Daily herald, February 24, 1939, p. 2 and April 3, 1939, p. 5)
Eugene Peresich & Sons-1939
Eugene Peresich & Sons was incorporated in the State of Mississippi on August 22, 1939 by Eugene A. Peresich, Giles H. Peresich, Eugene A. Peresich Jr. and Antonia Peresich.(The Daily Herald, April 23, 1940, p. 7)
Gaynel Land Company
The Gaynel Land Company was incorporated in the State of Mississippi on June 12, 1941 by Eugene A. Peresich, Mendum H. Dees, both of Biloxi, and W.J. Gex Jr. of Bay St. Louis, Mississippi. The purpose of the company was to acquire and subdivide land and to erect houses within their land subdivisions.(The Daily Herald, June 20, 1941,p. 7)
In June 1941, with the construction of Keesler Field announced and in its incipient building phase, Gaynel Land Company began aggressively with the acquisition of 78 lots in the Oak Park Subdivision at Biloxi. It also took option on two parcels of lots in west Biloxi-one tract had 55 lots and the other 84 lots. The company planned to erect 217 homes.(The Daily Herald, June 20, 1941, p. 1)
CHILDREN of EUGENE A. PERESICH
The children of Eugene Adam Peresich (1895-1960) and Althea Harkness (1897-1975) were: Giles H. Peresich (1918-1985) m. Beatrice Bisso (1917-1964); Eugene A. Peresich (1920-) m. Doris M. Wink (1920-2007); Mary K. Peresich (1924-2003) m. Kenton Nourse II (1918-1991); Edward M. ‘Ned’ Peresich (1925-1998) m. Mary Lou LeBlanc (1928-1986); Gordon J. Perersich (1927-1996); Terese Peresich (b. 1930); Anne Marie Peresich (1931-2012) m. James J. Lund (1930-2000); John Patrick Peresich (b. 1933); and Althea Martha Peresich (b. 1934) m. John P. McDermott Jr. (1928-1982) and Robert L. Nungesser. and John Patrick Peresich m. Margaret C. Tremmel (1936-2001).
Giles H. Peresich
Giles Harkness Peresich (1918-1985) was born at Biloxi, Mississippi on October 10, 1918. He was named for his deceased grandfather, Giles A. Harkness (1871-1915), a Biloxi brick mason, who resided on Delauney Street with his spouse, Rosalie Henley Harkness (1876-1944). After Giles A. Harkness passed in 1915, Rosalie Henley Harkness came to reside with Eugene A. Peresich and Althea H. Peresich in their Lameuse Street domicile. The widow, Rosalie H. Harkness, married Charles F. Gilligan (1861-1943) also in Harrison County, Mississippi on July 7, 1928.(Harrison County, Mississippi Circuit Court MRB 40, p. 430)
Giles H. Peresich graduated from Mississippi State College on August 11, 1939 with a B.S. degree from the School of Business and Industry.(The Daily Herald, July 29, 1939,p. 6)
Circa 1942, Giles married Beatrice ‘BeBe’ Bisso (1917-1964), native of New Orleans and the daughter of Captain Alexander L. Bisso (1876-1950) and Elfrida Margaret Clara Geir (1876-1955). The Bisso family had been in the tugboat and ferry business on the Mississippi River. Giles and BeBe Bisso Peresich were the parents of: Ronald Giles Peresich (b. 1943) m. Ramona Peresich; Adele Giles Peresich m. James T. Pate II; Joanne Peresich m. Mr. Glenn; and Stephen Giles Peresich m. Ellen L. Hutchinson.
In March 1942, Giles H. Peresich, who had joined the US Naval Reserve, was called to active duty effective 15 April, at the US Naval Training School at the University of Notre Dame. After he completed the 4-month training course, which included basic seamanship, navigation, gunnery and other subjects salient to to qualify as an officer, Giles was commissioned an Ensign and placed on active duty.(The Daily Herald, March 9, 1942, p. 7)
During WWII, Lt. JG USNR was commander of a PT-Boat serving his nation from Port Lyautey, French Morroco. The facility was established as an Advanced Landing Ground (ALG) shortly after the Operation Torch landing at the former Vichy France airfield at Mehdiya-Port Lyautey. The facility was captured in November 1942 by one American destroyer and an U.S. Army Raider team. The destroyer USS Dallas (DD-199) came up the Sebou River, silenced the shore batteries with its guns and landed the Raider team which in turn captured the airfield. After being secured, the airfield was used by the United States Army Air Forces Twelfth Air Force 33d Fighter Group, Flying in P-40 Warhawks. The group took part in initial landings in French Morocco, arriving with the invasion force on 8 November.
Returning to his native Biloxi, Giles worked in his father's insurance business and became president of Eugene Peresich and Sons, a general insurance agency. He had been associated with the Watson Insurance Agency for many years. Giles was a past officer of the Biloxi Elks Lodge, which conducts an annual charity golf tournament in his honor.
Giles H. Peresich was an outstanding amateur golfer having won many amateur tournaments and titles. In May 1954, Giles H. Peresich defeated Al Bellande (1912-1970), who played some outstanding golf in losing in the finals of the inaugural Sunkist Country Club championship, 3 and 2 in the 36-hole, two-day event. Bellande shot a 76 and a 73, while Peresich had scores of 73-74.(The Daily Herald, May 18, 1954, p. 14)
G.H. Peresich was a charter member and founder of Sunkist Country Club. He was elected President of Sunkist Country Club in July 1954.(The Daily Herald, July 19, 1954, p. 14)
Giles H. Peresich, a retired insurance executive, died Monday, May 19, 1985, in Biloxi. He was survived by two sons, Ronald Giles Peresich and Stephen G. Peresich; two daughters, Adlele Peresich Pate and Joanee Glenn, both of Lakeland, Florida; four brothers: Eugene A. Peresich Jr., Ned peresich, Gordon Peresich, and J. Pat Peresich, all of Biloxi; four sisters: Mary Katherine Peresich Nourse; Ann Peresich Lund; and Martha Peresich McDermott, all of Biloxi; and Sister Mary Giles, R.S.M. of Mobile, Alabama; and five grandchildren. The Peresich funeral was under the auspices of Bradford-O'Keefe Funeral Home of Biloxi. Following a Mass at Nativity BVM Cathedral internment was in Southern Memorial Park.
Eugene A. Peresich II
Eugene Adam Peresich II (1920-) was born 1920 at Biloxi, Mississippi. He married Doris May Wink (1920-2007). Eugene matriculated to LSU were he received primary and CAA training.
Doris May Wink
Mrs. Doris May Wink Peresich, age 87 years, of Ocean Springs, Mississippi, died Monday, April 9, 2007, in Ocean Springs. Mrs. Peresich was a lifelong resident of Biloxi and a resident of Ocean Springs since 1991. She was Miss BHS for the class of 1937 at Biloxi High School. She was the mother of nine children and was also a member of St. Alphonsus Catholic Church in Ocean Springs. Mrs. Peresich was preceded in death by her daughter, Janice Ann Peresich, parents, George and Marguerite Stanovich Wink, three sisters, Marguerite Wink Fayard, Georgette Wink Thompson and Helen Bernard Wink Bass, and a granddaughter, Mary Ann Cunningham. Survivors include her husband of 65 years, Eugene A. Peresich, Jr. of Ocean Springs, Mississippi, three daughters, Doris Wink Peresich Cunningham of Ocean Springs, Mississippi, Carol May Peresich of Kenner, Louisiana, and Linda Marie (Mitch) Peresich Long of West Jordan, Utah, five sons, Eugene (Myra) Peresich III of Huntsville, Alabama., Joseph G. Peresich of Tallahassee, Florida, Robert L. (Carmen) Peresich of Aberdeen, Scotland, Mark L. (Madelyn) Peresich and Thomas W. (Keri) Peresich, both of Ocean Springs, Mississippi, twelve grandchildren, Adam Peresich and Rebekah P. Hollingshead, Matthew Cunningham, Robert Peresich, Jr., Marguerite and Molly Peresich, Eric, Leah, Allison and Eli Long, and Ryan and Justin Peresich, and six great-grandchildren. Visitation will be on Thursday, April 12, 2007, from to 9-11 AM, with an 11 AM Mass of Christian Burial, all at St. Alphonsus Catholic Church. Burial will follow in Biloxi National Cemetery. The Ocean Springs Chapel of Bradford-O'Keefe Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.(The Sun Herald, April 12, 2007, p. A-4)
World War II
Eugene A. Peresich Jr. enlisted as an aviation cadet in February 1941, while a student at LSU. Here he received primary and Civil Aeronautics Administration training. Peresich after graduating from LSU was sent to basic flying school at Goodfellow Field, San Angelo, Texas. He completed his basic flying course in July 1941 and went to the advanced flying school at Craig Field, Selma, Alabama. After the 10-week course was completed, Cadet Peresich was commissioned a 2nd Lieutenant in the US Army Air Corps Reserve in September 1941.(The Daily Herald, July 18, 1941, p. 7 and October 11, 1945, p. 8)
In March 1942, 2nd Lt. Eugene A. Peresich Jr., US Army Air Corps, was an instructor at Cochran Field at Macon, Georgia.(The Daily Herald, March 9, 1942, p. 7)
Lt. Colonel Eugene A. Peresich Jr., age 25, 641 Lameuse Street, Biloxi former commander of a B-27 squadron in the ETO, has been released from active duty at the separation center at Drew Field, Florida. Colonel Peresich served with the 8th Air Force from May 1944 to June 1945, participating in the heavy air offensive during the land invasion of Europe. He flew 29 combat missions and was awarded the DFC with Oak Leaf Cluster and the Air Medal with three clusters. He also holds the American Defense Medal and the European Theater ribbon with six battle stars. Colonel Peresich enlisted as an aviation cadet in February 1941, while a student at LSU. He was graduated a second lieutenant from the flying school at Craig Field, Alabama in September 1941. His last duty station in the United States was 3rd Air Force Headquarters at Tampa, Florida. He is now active as vice president of Eugene Peresich and Sons Inc., general insurance agency, and will travel throughout Mississippi, but will make his headquarters in Biloxi.(The Daily Herald, October 11, 1945, p. 8)
Mary K. Peresich
Mary Katherine Peresich (1924-2003) was born at Biloxi on January 21, 1924. She was a graduate of the Sacred Heart Academy at Biloxi where as a sophomore was named Miss Sacred Heart Academy in February 1939 while J.J. ‘Jerry’ O’Keefe III was Mr. Sacred Heart Academy. She was a cheerleader and Jerry played football.(The Daily Herald, February 25, 1939, p. 2)
Mary Katherine married Kenton R. Nourse Sr. (1918-1991), a native of East Aurora, New York. He came to Biloxi, Mississippi probably as a young, US Army Air Corps soldier at Keesler Field in 1942. Harrison Co., Mississippi Circuit Court MRB 59, p. 302)
Kenton R. Norse was survived by his spouse at Biloxi; three sons: Rodney H. Nourse of Napa, California; Bruce E. Nourse of Carson City, Nevada; and David P. Nourse of NOLA; a sister, Frances Keicher of Eureka, California; his mother, Winifred Nourse (1897-1992) of East Aurora, New York; and two grandchildren.
Mr. Nourse's funeral was under the auspices of the Bradford-O'Keefe Funeral of Biloxi. After his funeral Mass at Nativity B.V.M. Catholic Church internment followed in the Southern Memorial Park cemetery.(The Sun Herald, 'Kenton R. Nourse Sr.', May 27, 1991, p. A-2)
Mary Katherine Nourse, age 79 years, died Saturday, March 1, 2003, in Biloxi.
Mrs. Nourse was a native and lifelong resident of Biloxi. She was a homemaker and a member of Nativity B.V.M. Catholic Cathedral. She was preceded in death by her husband, Major Kenton R. Nourse Sr.; a son, Kenton R. Nourse Jr. (1943-1959); parents, Althea Harkness Peresich and Eugene A. Peresich Sr.; and three brothers, Giles Peresich, Ned Peresich and Gordon Peresich. Survivors include three sons, Rodney H. Nourse, Bruce E. Nourse and David P. Nourse; three sisters, Martha McDermott Nungesser, Ann Lund and Sister Mary Giles R.S.M.; two brothers, Pat Peresich and Eugene Peresich Jr.; and four grandchildren. Services will be at Nativity B.V.M. Catholic Cathedral, where friends may visit one hour before service time. Burial will be in Southern Memorial Park.(The Sun Herald, 'Mary K. Nourse', March 2, 2003)
Edward M. Peresich
Edward 'Ned' McColl Peresich (1925-1998) was the son of Eugene Adam Peresich (1895-1960) and Althea Harkness (1897-1975). His siblings were: Giles H. Peresich (1918-1985) m. Beatrice Bisso (1917-1964); Eugene A. Peresich (b. 1920) m. Doris M. Wink (1920-2007); Mary K. Peresich (1924-2003) m. Kenton Nourse II (1918-1991); Gordon J. Peresich (1927-1996); John Patrick Peresich m. Margaret C. Tremmel (1936-2001); Anne Marie Peresich (1931-2012) m. James J. Lund (1930-2000); and Althea Martha Peresich m. John Phillip McDermott Jr. (1928-1982) and Robert Luke Nungesser (1934-2010).
Ned Peresich married Mary Lou LeBlanc (1928-1986). They were the parents of: Mary Beth Peresich m. Mr. Edgerton; Edward McColl Peresich Jr. m. Margaret Joyce Allen and Barbara Byrd (1955-2001); Myriam Terese Peresich m. Daniel Gregory Collins; Susan M. Peresich m. William J. Baugh; Paul D. Peresich m. June A. Krull; Matthew D. Peresich (1959-2001); and James M. Peresich.
Ned graduated from Sacred Heart Academy in Biloxi and Spring Hill College at Mobile, Alabama. He was employed at E.A. Peresich & Sons, Watson Insurance Agency, Pat's Gulf Service, and Page, Mannino, Peresich, and McDermott legal firm. Ned was a member of Les Pierrot carnival organization and had been active in sports as a high school reporter and player with the Galloping Gaels. he also was member of the Hiller Park tennis club and Par Three golf league.
Mr. Peresich was preceded in death by his former wife, Mary Lou LeBlanc; his parents and two brothers: Giles H. Peresich and Gordon J. Peresich. Ned was survived by his seven children and siblings: Eugene A Peresich Jr.; Mary Katherine Nourse (1924-2003); Sister Mary Giles, R.S.M., Ann P. Lund (1931-2012), John Patrick Peresich Sr. and Martha Peresich McDermott.
Edward McColl Peresich expired at Biloxi, Mississippi on February 2, 1998. His corporal remains were interred in the Southern Memorial Park cemetery under the direction of the Bradford-O'Keefe Funeral Home.
Gordon J. Peresich
Gordon Joseph Peresich, age 68 years, died Friday, March 22, 1996, in Biloxi, Mississippi. Mr. Peresich was a Biloxi native and retired offshore oil field worker. He also made toys and was shrimper. Gordon wrote two books: "Life in the Gulf Oil Fields" and "The Sod Man of Vicksburg". He won several awards from the VA Magazine for penning poetry and for children's short stories.
Gordon attended LSU where he was a member of the boxing team. He was the 1952 Champion of the Sugar Bowl boxing tournament at New Orleans and a life member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars.
Mr. Peresich was preceded in death by his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Eugene Adam Peresich Sr., and his brother, Giles Harkness Persich. Gordon was survived by three brothers, Eugene A. Peresich Jr. of Ocean Springs; Ned Peresich and Pat Peresich; and four sisters, Mary Katherine Nourse; Ann Lund; Martha McDermott;. all of Biloxi. and Sister Mary Giles Peresich of Mobile, Alabama.
Bradford-O'Keefe Funeral Home of Biloxi directed Mr. Peresich's funeral following Mass at Nativity BVM Cathedral with internment in Southern Memorial Park
Terese Peresich-Sister Mary Giles Persich (1930-2014), RSM, was born at Biloxi, Mississippi on September 15, 1930 and entered the Sisters of Mercy community on September 8, 1948. She received her MA at New York University. Her ministry included nineteen years of teaching in Sisters of Mercy schools, ten years in the Library at Salve Regina College in Rhode Island, and fourteen years at the University of Alabama. Sister retired to Catherine's Residence in 2006.
Sister Mary Giles is survived by Martha McDermott Nungisser, Eugene Peresich Jr. and Pat Peresich. She was preceded in death by her brothers Giles H. Peresich, Edward Peresich, Gordon Peresich and Mary Katherine Nourse.
Sister Mary Giles Peresich, a Sister of Mercy, died at Catherine's Residence on December 26, 2014 at St. Louis, Missouri. Sharing of Memories on Tuesday, December 30 at 4:00 pm in the Catherine's Residence Chapel, 2039 North Geyer Road. Eucharistic Liturgy will be at 6:00 pm. Sister will be buried at Calvary Cemetery in St. Louis.(The Sun Herald, December 30, 2014, p. A-4)
Ann M. Peresich
Ann Marie Peresich (1931-2012) was born at Biloxi, Mississippi on August 27, 1931. She married James J. Lund in Harrison County, Mississippi on April 19, 1958. Ann remained a lifelong Biloxi resident. She was a devout Catholic, active in her parish and in Catholic Charities for whom she fostered numerous children prior to their adoptions.
Mrs. Lund died Monday, January 30, 2012 in Gulfport, Mississippi. She was preceded in death by her husband, Jimmy Lund; infant son, Tommy Lund; parents, Althea and Eugene A. Peresich Sr.; sister, Mary Katherine Nourse; and brothers, Giles H. Peresich, Ned Peresich and Gordon Peresich. She was survived by her darling daughter, Joan Elizabeth Lund; sisters, Martha P. McDermott Nungesser and Sr. Mary Giles, RSM; and brothers, Eugene A. Peresich Jr. and Pat Peresich. Aunt Ann is also survived by more than fifty nieces and nephews.
The Howard Avenue Chapel of Bradford-O'Keefe Funeral Home was in charge of arrangements. Following a funeral Mass at Nativity B.V.M. Cathedral, interment was at Southern Memorial Park.(The Sun Herald on January 31, 2012)
John P. Peresich
[image made 1950]
John Patrick Peresich (b. 1933) called Pat, was born March 16, 1933 at Biloxi, Mississippi.
Althea Martha Peresich
Althea Martha Peresich, known as Martha, was born at Biloxi in 1934.
John P. McDermott Jr.
She married John P. McDermott Jr. (1928-1982) in Harrison County, Mississippi on December 19, 1953.[Harrison Co., Mississippi Circuit Court MRB 96, p. 261]
Mr. McDermott was a native of Mobile and a graduate of Spring Hill College, but he resided in Biloxi most of his life. He was Biloxi's Outstanding Citizen of 1969 and was named Biloxi's Outstanding Young Man of 1961 by the Biloxi Jaycees.
John owned and operated Pauper Gifts and Antuqies. He was administrator of Howard Memorial Hospital from December 1966 until July 1978. Prior to this, Mr. McDermott was business manager for the Biloxi Municipal School District for 11 years. He was also co-owned of Magnolia Utilities Inc. and owner of McDermott Rentals.
Socially, Mr. McDermott was active in the Gulf Coast Carnival Association and served the organization as Carnival Captain from 1977 to 1979. He also held memberships in Mithras, Les Pierrots and the Neptune carnival organizations.
John was survived Martha Peresich McDermott, his wife; three sons, Matthew McDermott of St. Mary's Training School in Alexandria, Louisiana; and Michael McDermott and Mark McDermott, of Biloxi; two daughters, Mrs. Mary Cecelia Mortell of Chicago and Martha McDermott of the University of Southern Mississippi; and his mother, Marie Foster McDermott, of Biloxi.
Following a Requiem Mass at Nativity BVM Cathedral, Bradford O'Keefe Funeral Home of Biloxi completed the McDermott funeral services with his internment at Southern Memorial Park.(The Sun Herald, 'John P. McDermott Jr., Biloxi businessman dead at 53', March 28?, 1982)
Martha Peresich McDermott married Robert L. 'Bobby' Nungesser (1934-2010) [Harrison Co., Mississippi 2nd JD Circuit Court MRB 51, p. 164]
Bobby was born in New Orleans, Louisiana on March 21, 1934, but grew up in Biloxi, Mississippi where he graduated from Notre Dame High School in 1952. Robert served in the United States Army from 1952 to 1958. Mr. Nungesser worked in the retail seafood business, owning and operating Fish Net Seafood, with locations in Albuquerque and Santa Fe, New Mexico. Bobby later returned to Biloxi and was employed by the Isle of Capri Casino.
Mr. Nungesser, age 76 years, passed away peacefully at his Biloxi home on Sunday, May 30, 2010. He was preceded in death by his mother, Hazel Broderick Nungesser, his father, George Nungesser, and a niece, Gena Nungesser Collins. Bobby is survived by his wife, Martha McDermott Nungesser. Also surviving Mr. Nungesser are his brother, Ronald T. Nungesser and his wife Janel, and nephews George S. Nungesser and John B. Nungesser.
A Mass of Christian Burial will be 11 a.m. Wednesday, June 2, 2010, at Nativity B.V.M. Catholic Cathedral where friends may visit from 9 a.m. until service time. Interment will follow in Biloxi National Cemetery. Bradford-O'Keefe Funeral Home, 675 Howard Avenue, in Biloxi is in charge of services.
ADELAIDE M. PERESICH [see Lyons Family]
[Courtesy of Matt Lyons Jr.-January 2014]
Adelaide Mable Peresich (1897-1943) was born March 11, 1897. She married John Christian Lyons (1890-1950), a native of Mississippi City, in Harrison County, Mississippi on January 1, 1914. They were the parents of: Joseph T. Lyons m. (1914-1945) m. Esther Amelia Ryan (19-19) who then m. Standish Bradford; John 'Speedy' Elbert Lyons (1916-1997) m. Lucy L. Martino (1917-1996); Matthew Peresich Lyons (1918-1999) m. Vara Brown (1924-1977) and Mary Ella Huth (1924-2007); Marie Louise Lyons (1924-1998) m. Clarence 'Zeke' Stewart (1919-1995); William 'Billy' R. Lyons; Kenneth Jerome Lyons (1927-2008) m. Roslyn Weksler and Margaret Germaine Sablich (1928-2007); Eugene 'Jimmy' James Lyons; m. Anna Lee Webber; Robert George Lyons m. Patricia Ann Magill; and Stephen Anthony Lyons m. Barbara Faith Cvitanovich.(Harrison Co., Mississippi Circuit Court MRB 25, p. 515, 1930 Harrison County, Mississippi Federal Census R1146, p. 14A, ED 3 and and 1940 Harrison County, Mississippi Federal Census T627_2024, p. 22B, ED 24-2)
After the death of his spouse in 1943, John C. Lyons married Hazel Althea Andrews on April 16, 1944. (Harrison Co., Mississippi Circuit Court MRB 64, p. 533)
Antonio Amelia Peresich (1901-1959)
[courtesy of Joseph Lyons-2015]
ANTONIA A. PERESICH
Antonia Amelia ‘Peggy’Peresich (1901-1959) was born at Biloxi on December 12, 1901. She lived at 509 Seal Avenue and was secretary-treasurer of the Watson Insurance Agency and had joined her brother, Eugene A. Peresich, in the family insurance business in 1922. Miss Peresich graduated from Sacred Heart Academy . She was a member of the Pilot Club and a member of the Nativity BVM Cathedral and its Altar Society.
Antonia expired at the Biloxi Hospital on February 18, 1959 after an illness of 18 months. She was survived by five siblings, all Biloxi residents: Mrs. Gaspar Pisarich and Miss Josie Peresich, Matthew F. Peresich, Eugene A. Peresich and Rudolph Peresich. O’Keefe Funeral was in charge of Miss Peresich’s funeral which was held at Nativity BVM Cathedral. Her internment was in Biloxi Cemetery.
RUDOLPH L. PERESICH
Rudolph Louis Peresich was born at Biloxi on January 17, 1904. He married Inez Blanche Hepler (b. 1912) in Harrison County, Mississippi on June 12, 1932 and Hazel A. Parkis Andrews Lyons (1890-1974), also in Harrison County on April 24, 1952.(Bk. 43, p. 604 and MRB 89, p. 316)
Hazel A. Parkis Andrews Lyons (1890-1974) was born at Mobile, Alabama to Henry A. Parkis and Pearl Hazel Camp. There is a high degree of certitude that Hazel married four times: Mr. Mayson; Wallace Henry Andrew (1886-1940) in Harrison County, Mississippi on January 24, 1920; John Christian Lyons on April 16, 1944; and Rudolph Louis Peresich (1904-1985) on April 24, 1952.
Rudolph died at Gulfport, Mississippi on March 8, 1985. He was survived by a daughter, Betty Peresich m. Dr. John Todd Vignes (1932-2014) of Baton Rouge; two stepdaughters, Elizabeth Lechner of Biloxi and Hazel Andrews Ferrill (b. 1927) of Houston, Texas; stepson, Wallace H. Andrews (1924-2012) of Gautier; and five grandchildren.
The American Press(Lake Charles, LA),“Edna Campbell”, September 7, 2004.
The Daily Herald, “Biloxi Society and Personal Items”, June 1, 1912.
The Daily Herald, “Mrs. Peresich dies”, November 6, 1917.
The Daily Herald, “[Matthew Peresich]Here on furlough”, March 22, 1918.
The Daily Herald, “Biloxi agency changes hands”, November 1, 1921.
The Daily Herald, “Joseph Peresich died yesterday”, February 13, 1933.
The Daily Herald, "Miss Sacred Heart Academy captured by Mary Katherine Peresich", February 25, 1939.
The Daily Herald,"[Giles H. Peresich] To receive degree", July 29, 1939.
The Daily Herald,"The Charter of Incorporation of Eugene Peresich & Sons", April 23, 1940.
The Daily Herald,"[Giles] Peresich called to duty", March 9, 1942.
The Daily Herald,"Mrs. Lyons dies", March 27, 1943.
The Daily Herald, “Col. Peresich released from active duty”, October 11, 1945.
The Daily Herald, “Giles Peresich New Champion of Sunkist Golf Club”, May 18, 1954.
The Daily Herald, "John C. Lyons dies", November 7, 1950.
The Daily Herald, “Install Giles Peresich head of Sunkist Club”, July 19, 1954.
The Daily Herald, "Miss [Antonia]Peresich dies at Biloxi, Funeral Friday", February 19, 1959.
The Daily Herald, "Josie C. Peresich", August 9, 1960.
The Daily Herald, “E.A. Peresich Dies; Funeral Rites Tuesday”, December 5, 1960.
The Daily Herald, “Matthew F. Peresich”, April 29, 1963.
The Times Picayune, “Rites scheduled for Mrs. Peresich [Beatrice Bisso Peresich]”, July 24, 1964.
The Daily Herald, “Prominent Biloxi woman [Althea Harkness Peresich]dies”, December 5, 1975, p. A2.
The Daily Herald,'John P. McDermott Jr., Biloxi businessman dead at 53', March 28?, 1982.
The Daily Herald, “Mrs. Effie Peresich”, March 8, 1983, p. A2.
The Sun Herald, “Kenton R. Nourse Sr.”, May 27, 1991.
The Sun Herald, “Edward McColl Peresich Sr.”, February 4, 1998.
The Sun Herald, “Josephine P. Malpass”, January 22, 2001.
The Sun Herald, "Matthew D. Peresich", August 5, 2001.
The Sun Herald, “Mary K. Nourse”, March 2, 2003.
The Sun Herald, “Eunice Blanchard Pisarich”, May 10, 2005.
The Sun Herald, ““Joyce McDonnell Pisarich”, November 25, 2006, p. A5.
The Sun Herald, “Mrs. Doris May Wink Peresich (1920-2007)”, April 12, 2007, p. A4.
The Sun Herald, “Ron Peresich: A low-key, calm mediator who is leaving his mark”, June 11, 2007, p. A1.
The Sun Herald, "Margaret Germaine Sablich Lyons", May 18, 2007.
The Sun Herald, "Kenneth J. Lyons Sr.", October 3, 2008.
The Sun Herald, "He led Biloxi sports family-Kenneth Lyons Sr.", October 4, 2008, p. A8..
The Sun Herald, “Francis Matthew Pisarich”, November 21, 2008.
The Sun Herald,“Ann Peresich Lund”, January 31, 2012.
The Sun Herald,“Sister Mary Giles Peresich, RSM”, December 30, 2014.
The Times-Picayune, “Rites scheduled for Mrs. Peresich [Beatrice Bisso Peresich]”, July 24, 1964.