Interesting Things

By Ray L. Bellande

Primary tabs

Dairy and Milk

 

The January 2020 sale of the Josette’s building at 902 Howard Avenue by Jacob LeClaire Locklar, son of the late Tex Locklar [1936-2011] and Josette ‘Mickey’ M. Jacob Locklar [1938-2013], to 902 Howard Ave, LLC, a Mississippi LLC, led by Jourdan Nicaud and Kent G. Nicaud brought memories of my distant youth when it was owned by Borden’s.[Harrison Co., Mississippi Land 2nd Instrument 2010-1861-D-J2 vand Instrument 2020-76-D-J2 and The Sun Herald, January 26, 2020, p. 1]

 

Although Tex Locklar was born at New Brockton, Alabama, his parents in 1943, relocated to Jefferson Parish, Louisiana and Tex became an LSU Tiger completing his studies in Mechanical Engineering in January 1959.  At New Orleans, on 1 February 1959, he married Josette Miriam Jacob, the daughter of Joseph W. Jacob [1911-1987] and Juliette LeClaire, born at Cairo, Illinois and Ohio respectively.  After working in the aircraft industry, the Locklars arrived in Pascagoula in the early 1970s, as Tex was employed in the nuclear submarine program at Ingalls Shipbuilding.[The Times-Picayune, January   1959, p.  ; The Sun Herald, 1940 Jefferson Parish Federal Census R627, ED 

 

Mickey Locklar had established Josette’s, a costume rental shop, at Pascagoula in the 1970s and moved from the former J.C. Penney building to Biloxi in 1988 after she and Tex acquired their former Borden’s creamery on the NW/C of Howard Avenue and Caillavet in January 1988.[Harrison Co., Mississippi Land 2nd JD 192, p. 38]

 

 

 

Ott Heirs

The history of the Josette’s building commences in October 1931 when Mamie Z. Ott Tremmel and the other Heirs of 

 

[The Daily Herald, 

 

 

 

Arcadian-Ness Creameries

The Biloxi Milks Products Company opened in early June in its new home on Caillavet Street.  Officers of the company were: R.G. Irby of NOLA, president, and Oglesby Allen and Lyndia Allen, secretary and treasurer.  The Allens formerly operated the Woodlawn Dairy.  Ice cream, milk, cream cheese, buttermilk and cream will be processed by the company.(The Daily Herald, June 1, 1928, p. 2)

 

 

 

Melvin G. Ness (1897-1975)

 

Ness Ice Cream Company

Although the building was originally called Ness Creameries for  Melvin G. Ness (1897-1975), an ice cream and dairy products aficionado from Kenyon, Minnesota.  His parents were Norwegian immigrants and Melvin saw Europe as an Army private during WW I.  

 

Melvin Ness arrived at Biloxi in the summer of 1925 and founded Ness Ice Cream Factory.  He had acquired the former Baptist Church on the corner of Lameuse Street and Washington and converted the sanctuary into a modern dairy plant. [The Daily Herald, June 14, 1929, p. 1]

 

Mr. Ness promoted his industry by speaking to civic groups like the Rotary Club and Lions.  His competitor was the Biloxi Home Milk Products Company on Caillavet Street near Division.  It was owned by R.G. Irby of NOLA and one could buy two large ice cream cones here for $.05. [The Daily Herald, June 2, 1925, p. 3; February 24, 1926, p. 8; and October 20, 1927, p. 10]

 

 

Ness Creameries-a merger

In June 1929, Ness Ice Cream Company merged with the Blue Ribbon Creamery of Jackson, Mississippi.  The new company was incorporated as Ness Creameries also in June 1929, by Melvin G. Ness, Roy T. Boteler [1896-1979] of Jackson, Mississippi and Walter Wadlington, a Biloxi attorney.  Their capital stock was $30,000.[The Daily Herald, June 14, 1929, p. 1 and June 14, 1929, p. 8]

 

Sale

In February 1930, Melvin Ness returned to Biloxi from Jackson, Mississippi where he had been supervising the construction of a new creamery and installing machinery valued at $65,000. He announced that his future business would be conducted in Meridian, Mississippi. [The Daily Herald, February 25, 1930, p. 2]

 

Melvin Ness sold his interest in Ness Creameries to the Blue Ribbon Creamery of Jackson, Mississippi and relocated to Meridian, Mississippi and became associated with the Lauderdale Dairies

 

 

[The Daily Herald, October 8, 1931, p. 1]

 

New Plant

 

 

In late January 1932, a $36, 000 contract was let to W.G. Stout & Son of Jackson, Mississippi to erect a two-story, re-enforced concrete and brick structure on the northwest corner of Howard Avenue and Caillavet Street.  The 50,000 sq.-ft. edifice was designed by Carl E. Matthes [1896-1972], Biloxi architect.[The Daily Herald, January 25, 1932, p. 1]

 

 

 

 

 

Arcadian Creamery

The Arcadian Creamery was established in the spring of 1932     

 

Arcadian-Ness Creameries

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Borden’s

 

Conveyed to the Borden’s Company late June 1944.[Bk. 266. pp. 177-182]

 

 

 

 

Borden’s Company

 

 

 

 

 

Josette’s

Josette M. Jacobs Locklar [1938-2013] was born June 20, 1938 in New Orleans to Joseph W. Jacobs and Juliette LeClere.  In February 1959, she married Tex Locklar [1936-2011], a native of New Brockton, Alabama.  In 1943, Tex’s parents had relocated to Jefferson Parish, Louisiana and Tex became an LSU Tiger completing his studies in Mechanical Engineering in January 1959. 

 

Closed after Christmas season in 2019.

 

 

 

 

REFERENCES:

 

The Daily Herald, ‘

The Daily Herald, ‘

The Daily Herald, ‘Melvin Ness tells of milk’, February 24, 1926.

The Daily Herald, ‘Ness speaks on dairying’, October 20, 1927.

 

The Daily Herald, ‘

 

The Daily Herald, ‘Ness Plant is incorporated’, June 14, 1929.

 

The Daily Herald, ‘Charter of Incorporation [Ness Creameries], June 14, 1929.

 

The Daily Herald, ‘

The Daily Herald, ‘Melvin Ness returns’, February 25, 1930.

 

 

The Daily Herald, ‘Many Biloxians see football game’, November 3, 1930, p. 2.

The Daily Herald, ‘

The Daily Herald, ‘Ness Company buys new site’, October 8, 1931.

The Daily Herald, ‘Ness Plant contract let’, January 25, 1932.

The Daily Herald, ‘

The Daily Herald, ‘

The Daily Herald, ‘

The Daily Herald, ‘

The Daily Herald, ‘

The Daily Herald, ‘

The Daily Herald, ‘Creamery operating’, June 15, 1932.

 

The Daily Herald, Ness Building is completed’, June 23, 1932.

The Daily Herald, ‘Announce sale of creamery’, August 17, 1933.

The Daily Herald, ‘

The Daily Herald, ‘

The Daily Herald, ‘

 

The Sun Herald, 

The Sun Herald, 

The Sun Herald, 

The Sun Herald, 

The Sun Herald, 

 

The Sun Herald, ‘A Biloxi costume shop is closing after 47 years. The owners blame Amazon’, April 5, 2019.

The Sun Herald, ‘Family known for dining has plans for Josette’s’, January 26, 2020.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

1941-

 

East Howard Avenue [1961]

 

 

HOME MILK PRODUCTS

 

Incorporation

George A. Cruthirds [1891-1964], Holen H. Grantham [1892-1964] and Ewell D. Irwin [1906-1977].[The Daily Herald, March 29, 1941, p. 7]

 

 

 

 

Melvin G. Ness (1897-1975)

 

Melvin G. Ness

 

 

 

 

 

[The Daily Herald, August 1, 1941, p. 7]

 

 

1947

 

 

 

 

 

REFERENCES:

The Daily Herald, ‘Home Milk Products incorporation’, March 29, 1941.

The Daily Herald, ‘

The Daily Herald, ‘Home Milk Products Company [advertisement]’, August 1, 1941.

The Daily Herald, ‘

The Daily Herald, ‘

The Daily Herald, ‘

The Daily Herald, ‘$30,000 will be spent by Home Milk Company’, February 18, 1947, p.1.

The Daily Herald, ‘Magazine article tells of Home Milk’, August 13, 1958, p. 14.

The Daily Herald, ‘Home Milk and George Barber are affiliated, June 4, 1962.

The Daily Herald, ‘

The Daily Herald, ‘

The Daily Herald, ‘

The Daily Herald, ‘