Interesting Things

By Ray L. Bellande

Primary tabs

Ice Manufacturing and Sales

 

 

 

ICE COMPANIES

 

Time Line

 

1867

Ice at New Orleans generally came from northern lakes or Boston via ship until an ice plant was erected on the levee in Jefferson in 1867.(The New Orleans Times, September 3, 1867, p. 2)

 

 

1887

[from Along The Gulf-1895]

The Biloxi Artesian Ice Manufacturing Company was founded in 1887 and by 1895 had two ice machines producing 22 tons of ice each day.  The plant was located east of the L&N depot on the southside of the L&N tracks at Lameuse Street.  Initial production was 5 tons per day. Lee Elder and John Wein were the engineers that ran the two ice machines.  Company officers were: John Walker, president; T.P. Dulion, treasurer; W.K.M. Dukate, secretary and general manager; and Lee Elder, chief engineer.[Along the Gulf-1895]

 

 

1888

The Biloxi Artesian Ice Manufacturing Company is now prepared to take ice orders from all along the Coast.(The Biloxi Herald, March 31, 1888, p. 8) 

 

1894

In May 1894, the Hygeia Ice Works, built for $35,000 and owned by the De La Vergne Manufacturing Machine Company of New York, was operating at Biloxi west of the railroad depot. The plant had the capacity to make 15 tons of ice each day with Charles McCormack (1844-1915) was their local representative.(The Biloxi Herald, May 19, 1894, p. 8)  

 

1895

The Biloxi Canning Company contracted with the Victor Manufacturing Company of Dayton, Ohio for a five-ton ice machine.  Four cold storage rooms [12 feet by 12 feet] were also erected and an artesian well dug to 600 feet.[The Biloxi Herald, September 21, 1895, p. 8; March 28, 1896, p. 8]

 

The price war between the Biloxi Artesian Ice Manufacturing Company and Hygeia Ice Works ended when the companies joined forces and formed the Biloxi Delivery Company with John McCormack as manager.  The price of ice was set at $9 per ton and soon reduced to $7 per ton [50 cents per 100 pounds retailed] as customers complained.[The Biloxi Herald, July 20, 1895, p. 8]

 

1906

When the Artesian Ice Company plant underwent repairs and enlargement in February 1906, Hygeia provided local ice requirements.  Artesian came on line 1 June 1906 capable of producing 45 tons of ice each day.  With Hygeia, the two plants had the capacity to provide ice to Biloxi and environs.[The Biloxi Herald, April 6, 1906, p. 1]

 

 

1933

Robert Lee Elder, called Lee, known as the Dean of Biloxi icemen, expired at Biloxi on    1933.

 

1945

A meeting was held in early November proposing to erect a quick freeze plant to be operated by the Biloxi Port Commission and serve the seafood industry.  Representatives present were:  Mayor Delacruz-Biloxi; W.L. Guice-packers; Oswald Chatham-Fishermen’s Union; Marion L. Thiac (1906-1961)-Chamber of Commerce; Hermes F. Gautier (1894-1969) and Lee Gutierrez-South Mississippi Ice Company; and Edgar P. Guice-Ocean Springs Ice & Coal Company.[The Daily Herald, November 6, 1945, p. 8]

 

1946

The Biloxi Freezing Company was founded in January 1946 by Lee P. Gutierrez (1903-1978) and Glenn Swetman.  Lee had been the Biloxi manager of the South Mississippi Ice Company.[The Daily Herald, January 12, 1946, p. 5]

 

 

1948

Lee P. Gutierrez (1903-1979) retired as CEO of the Biloxi Freezing Company in March 1968 and succeeded by Lee P. Gutierrez Jr.[The Daily Herald, March 22, 1968, p.  ]

 

 

1978

Lee P. Gutierrez (1903-1979) and spouse, Katherine Evelyn Slay Gutierrez (1907-1979), were found dead at their home on 421 Bohn Street from apparent asphyxiation.  Lee founded the Biloxi Freezing Company in 1946.[The Daily Herald, December 3, 1979, p. A-2]

 

1986

In May 1986, Lee P. Guiterrez Jr. announced the sale of the Biloxi Freezing Company to International Seafood Traders, a Conagra subsidy, based in Tampa, Florida.  The 1.49 acre tract ran 322 feet west of Couevas Street to Bohn Street with a frontage of 150 feet on Bohn Street.[Harrison Co., Mississippi 2nd JD Land Deed Bk. 171, p. 205]

 

1993

In August 1993, Lee P. Guteirrez Jr. and Ramon G. Gutierrez bought International Seafood Traders, their former Biloxi Freezing Company at 204 Bohn Street.  Plant could blast-freeze 61,000 pounds of shrimp per day.[The Sun Herald, August 26, 1993, p. D-5]

 

______________________________________________________________

 

 

 Biloxi Artesian Ice Manufacturing Company

from Along The Gulf [1895]

The Biloxi Artesian Ice Manuafacturing Company was founded in 

 

 

REFERENCES:

Charles L. Dyer, Along The Gulf, (Women of the Trinity Episcopal Church:  Pass Christian-1971.  [Originally published 1895]

 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

 

[from Along The Gulf -1895]

 

BILOXI HYGEIA ICE WORKS

On December 11, 1893, Charles McCormack (1842-1915), native of New Orleans took  a 25-year lease from Zuline Adam on a tract in Biloxi described as havings 84 feet on the L&N ROW and 200 feet on Caillavet Street.  This became the site of a small ice plant erected by McCormack.  By September 1901, Mr. McCormack .[Harrison Co., Mississippi Land Deed Bk. 29, p. 506]

 

 

In May 1894, the Hygeia Ice Works, built for $35,000 and owned by the De La Vergne Manufacturing Machine Company of New York, was operating at Biloxi west of the railroad depot. The plant had the capacity to make 15 tons of ice each day with Charles McCormack (1842-1915) as their local representative.(The Biloxi Herald, May 19, 1894, p. 8)  

 

 

Sanborn Map [Biloxi, Mississippi 1909-Sheet 2]

 

 

Charles McCormack

Charles McCormack (1842-1915) was born March 2, 1842 at New Orleans.

 

REFERENCES:

Charles L. Dyer, Along The Gulf, (Women of the Trinity Episcopal Church:  Pass Christian-1971.  [Originally published 1895]

The Daily Herald, '

______________________________________________________

 

 

 

BILOXI FREEZING COMPANY

The Biloxi Freezing Company was founded in January 1946 by Lee P. Gutierrez (1903-1978) and Glenn Swetman.  Lee had been the Biloxi manager of the South Mississippi Ice Company.[The Daily Herald, January 12, 1946, p. 5]

 

 

[The Daily Herald, May 31, 1946, p. 3]

 

 

FAMILY

 

 

Lee Paul Gutierrez

Lee Paul Gutierrez (1903-1979) was the son of Henry J. Gutierrez (18-1953), native of New Orleans and resident since 1898, and Rose Venus Gutierrez (1875-1945).  The Gutierrez family was reared at 406 Bohn Street. Mr. Gutierrez was one of the early commissioners of Biloxi and was in the ice and coal business, drayage and the excavation business for many years. He constructed the old White House golf links and was road supervisor for Harrison County for many years. Mr. Gutierrez was a member of Back Bay Volunteer Fire Co., Nativity Catholic Church and was a life member of the Biloxi Lodge of Elks.  Henry J. Gutierrez was surviived by his brother,  The funeral will be from O'Keefe Funeral Home Friday morning at 8:45 o'clock, followed by requiem mass at Nativity Catholic Church at 10 o'clock. Interment will be in Biloxi Cemetery. The rosary will be said at the funeral home tonight at 7 o'clock.[The Daily Herald, July 2, 1953]

 

Children

Lee P. Gutierrez married Katherine Evelyn Slay (1907-1979) at NBVM on December 16, 1924.  At 421 Bohn Street they reared four sons: Lee Paul Gutierrez Jr. (1927-2002) m. Helen D. Sekul; Henry Slay Gutierrez (1928-2004) m. Melba Fay Foretich; Ramon Gray Gutierrez (1930-2009) m. Mildred L. Waggoner; and Frank Carroll Gutierrez (1934-2015) m Anita Selma Knebel.

 

Lee P. “Pedro” Gutierrez Jr.

Lee Paul "Pedro" Gutierrez Jr. (1927-2002) died Tuesday, May 28, 2002 in Biloxi.  Mr. Gutierrez was born January 11, 1927 and was a life-long resident of Biloxi.  He was a graduate of Biloxi High School, Class of 1944.  Lee attended Vanderbilt University and was an alumnus of North Carolina State University.  He was a veteran of World War II, having served in the U.S. Army as a Demolition expert. He also acted as an instructor to new recruits.  Mr. Gutierrez, before his retirement was owner and operator of Biloxi Freezing Company and various other businesses.

 

One of his most passionate interests was his breeding of thoroughbred horses. His love of hunting took him to many countries--among them most of the Central and South American countries as well as Canada and Alaska.  He was an avid gun collector, and added to his collection during his travels, with his wife, to countries the world over. He was active in civic and social affairs. He was a member of the Lions Club and the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks. He also belonged to many Coast Carnival Organizations, was Past Captain of Revelers Carnival Association; and was the first king of Les Badineaurs, in 1983.

 

His parents Lee P. Gutierrez Sr. and Katherine Slay Gutierrez preceded Mr. Gutierrez in death.  Survivors include his wife, Helen Sekul Gutierrez, two daughters, Katherine G. Van Buren of Merritt Island, Fla. and Lauren G. Wilson of Wiggins, MS., two sons, Lee Paul Gutierrez III and Pete C. Gutierrez, both of Biloxi; and three brothers, Henry S. Gutierrez, Ramon G. Gutierrez and Frank C. Gutierrez, all of Biloxi. Mr. Gutierrez also had five grandchildren, Lauren Elizabeth Gutierrez of Baton Rouge, La.; Spencer Simon, and Zachary Ryan Wilson of Wiggins and Sydney Van Buren of Merritt Island and Rachel Diana Gutierrez of Biloxi.

 

Services are planned for Friday at 11:00 a.m. at Nativity BVM Cathedral. There will also be a Recitation of the Rosary at 10:00 o'clock. Friends may call at the Cathedral two hours prior to service time. Burial will be in Southern Memorial Park, with arrangements directed by Bradford-O'Keefe Funeral Home in Biloxi.[The Sun Herald, May 30, 2002]

 

 

Henry S. "Duke" Gutierrez
 

Mr. Henry Slay "Duke" Gutierrez (1928-2004) died August 12, 2004, at his home in Biloxi. He was born in Biloxi and lived there his entire life.

 

He served in the U. S. Marine Corps during the Korean War, touring the Mediterranean Sea as a member of the Second Battalion, Sixth Marines. He held a strong belief in the Marine motto, "Semper fi."

 

After serving in the Marines, he worked for many years in his family's business, Biloxi Freezing Company. In the 1970s, he was a leader in advancing the frozen seafood industry on the Gulf Coast and elsewhere, owning and operating a number of shrimp companies, including M & M Shrimp Company and Biloxi Shrimp, Inc. In addition, he was a primary contributor to the establishment of Custom Pack, Inc.

 

He will be remembered for his dedication to family and friends, his generous nature, his charming personality, his patriotism and his lively sense of humor.

 

He was preceded in death by his parents, Catherine Slay Gutierrez and Lee Paul Gutierrez, Sr., and his brother, Lee Paul "Pedro" Gutierrez, Jr.

 

A beloved husband, father and grandfather, Henry leaves behind his wife of 54 years, Melba Fay Foretich Gutierrrez, four daughters: Charlotte Paige Gutierrez and husband, Gerald Henry Blessey of Biloxi, Mississippi; Sybil Rose Kovacevich Sauls and husband, Dr. Jeffrey Sauls, of Ocean Springs, Mississippi; Roxann Marie Dollins and husband, Michael, of Dallas, Texas; Rachel Susan Gutierrez, of Dallas, Texas; and a son, Henry John Gutierrez and partner, Corey Tiblier, of San Francisco, California.

 

Henry is also survived by his brothers, Ramon "Ziggy" Gray Gutierrez and Frank Carroll Gutierrez, and eight grandchildren: Grace and Mary Blessey; Nadia and Caroline Kovacevich; Lana and Kendall Sauls; and Camille and Virginia Dollins.

 

Relative and friends are invited to attend a Mass at 2 p.m., Monday, August 16, 2004 at Nativity B.V.M. Cathedral in Biloxi, Mississippi where visitation will be from 12 noon until Mass time. Burial will be in Southern Memorial Park with full military honors.[The Sun Herald, August 15, 2004]

 

 

Ramon G. Gutierrez

Ramon Gray "Ziggy" Gutierrez (1930-2009) of Ocean Springs, Mississippi, died September 20, 2009 at home surrounded by his family. "Ziggy" was born July 19, 1930, in Biloxi, Mississippi, the son of late Lee P. Guiterrez and Katherine Slay Gutierrez. 

 

He graduated from Notre Dame High School in 1948 where he was voted the Most Valuable football player. He attended the University of Notre Dame and graduated in 1952 with a degree in Political Science. He served in the U.S. Army in the special services division in Germany from 1953 to 1956. 

 

On October 6, 1963, Ziggy married Mildred "Millie" Waggoner of Ellisville, Mississippi. They lived at 406 ½ Bohn Street in Biloxi and later moved to Ocean Springs.

 

"Ziggy" was a well known businessman and lifelong resident of the Mississippi Gulf Coast. He operated the Key Club and the Creole Room on the "Biloxi Strip" in the late 1950's and early 1960's. He had a long and successful business career in the Produce and Seafood industries. His business interests included The 3 R Tomato Company, Tidewater Sales Co., M&G Wholesale Co. and Biloxi Freezing and Processing Inc. He served on the Biloxi Port Commission as Secretary for many years. 

 

"Ziggy" was a very generous and caring person always willing to help someone in need. He was a member of St Alphonsus Catholic Church and was also an avid football fan. He is survived by his wife Mildred "Millie" Gutierrez, daughter and son-in-law, Mitzi and Steven Carter, a son, Ricky Lee Gutierrez, all of Ocean Springs, grandchildren, Shelby, Savannah, and Seth Carter and Courtney Gutierrez and his brother, Frank C. Gutierrez of Biloxi, Mississippi.

 

Mr. Gutierrez was preceded in death by his brothers, Lee "Pedro" Gutierrez Jr. and Henry "Duke" Gutierrez. The family would like to thank Hospice of Light, Dr. Donald Butcher and his staff, as well as our family and friends for all their love and support. 

 

Visitation will be held Wednesday September 23, 2009, at St. Alphonsus Catholic Church on Jackson Ave, in Ocean Springs from 10:00 am to 12:00 pm with a service to follow. In lieu of flowers the family prefers that donations be made to St. Vincent De Paul Society, 502 Jackson Ave, Ocean Springs, MS 39564. The Ocean Springs Chapel of Bradford O'Keefe Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.[The Sun Herald, September 22, 2009]

 

Frank C. Gutierrez

Frank Carroll Gutierrez (1934-2015) of Biloxi passed away on Wednesday, June 17, 2015 in Gulfport, Mississippi.  Mr. Gutierrez was born on September 18, 1934 in Biloxi, Mississippi. He graduated from Notre Dame High School where his father was instrumental in building the new Catholic High School for boys that he attended. He attended The University of Southern Mississippi and Mississippi State University. He served his country in the United States Marine Corp. where he was a surveyor in the Fourth Battalion, Platoon 83 serving in the Central and South American Countries. He was always proud of his service to his country.

 

For many years he was active in many civic organizations including the Biloxi Jaycees where he served as President in 1962. He was also a member of the Biloxi Elks Lodge #606 and many seafood processing organizations. He belonged to Les Pierrots Carnival Organization, The Revelers Carnival Association and was a founding member of Les Badineurs Carnival Association.

 

He has been associated with the seafood business most of his life. He began as a young man delivering ice to the shrimp boats for his father's ice company. He was co-owner of Sea Harvest and Sun Rise Seafood. Mr. Gutierrez was an entrepreneur and had many business ventures including Penguin Sales Company and Florentine Pools. 

 

In 1985 he purchased the old Biloxi City Barn on the corner of Bayview Avenue and Lee Street and together with his wife and sons, Brent and Clay, began a new family business called Cash Sales Company. That company evolved into Custom Pack, Inc. in 1988 and continues to operate today. In addition to designing a state of the art seafood processing facility, he pioneered the innovative IQF Technique of freezing shrimp. He and his family also are owners of Custom Cold Storage which serves the seafood industry.

 

He had many hobbies and enjoyed hunting with his sons and grandsons. He loved to travel and especially enjoyed trips to Mexico and Nicaragua where the family had business interests. He enjoyed flyfishing in Wyoming with friends and fished in the Road Runners Fly Fishing Tournaments for the past 15 years. For the last 19 years until he was 79 years old, he participated in the Tennessee River 600 riding a jet ski in the Tennessee and Alabama Rivers and lakes with his wife and friends to raise funds for the Children's Miracle Network. Frank always loved cars and especially had an attachment to El Caminos. He also loved building cars for his sons to participate the Cub Scout Derbies. He enjoyed a special hobby of raising game fowl on his farm and through his hobby has made many lifelong friends throughout the county.

 

He was preceded in death by his mother, Catherine Gutierrez; his father Lee Gutierrez; three brothers, Lee R. "Pedro" Gutierrez , Henry "Duke" Gutierrez and Ramon "Ziggy" Gutierrez.

 

He is survived by his wife of 54 years, Anita Knebel Gutierrez; two sons, Brent Gutierrez and his wife Roianne and Clay Gutierrez; his five beloved grandchildren, Marissa Gutierrez, Grant Gutierrez, Raven Gutierrez, Chad Gutierrez and Dylan Gutierrez; many loving nieces and nephews; and his sister in law, Barbara Bosarge.

 

The Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated on Monday, June 22, 2015 at the Cathedral of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary from 12:00 PM, with a visitation for family and friends from 10:00 AM until the Mass. Burial will follow in Southern Memorial Park, Biloxi.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

c

 

 

 

 

Retirement

Lee P. Gutierrez retired as CEO in March 1968 and succeeded by Lee P. Gutierrez Jr.

 

 

1971

In October 1971, the Biloxi Freezing Company acquired a tract of land with 256 feet on Caillavet Street north of the L&N ROW from The Standard Oil Company-Chevron Oil.  The lot ran west to Cuevas Street.[Harrison Co., Mississippi 2ndJD Land Deed Bk. 21, 336]

 

1972

In Biloxi Housing Authority v. Biloxi Freezing Company, a Harrison County jury awarded the ice company $110,000.  Biloxi’s urban renewal development plan precipitated the eminent domain litigation.  This was the site of the Biloxi Artesian Ice & Manufacturing Company built in 1884.[The Daily Herald, January 27, 1972, p. 23]

 

1986

International Seafood Traders

In May 1986, Lee P. Guiterrez Jr. announced the sale of the Biloxi Freezing Company to International Seafood Traders, a Conagra subsidy, based in Tampa, Florida.  The 1.49 acre tract ran 322 feet west of Couevas Street to Bohn Street with a frontage of 150 feet on Bohn Street.[Bk. 171, p. 205]

 

1993

In August 1993, Lee P. Guteirrez Jr. and Ramon G. Gutierrez bought International Seafood Traders, their former Biloxi Freezing Company at 204 Bohn Street.  Plant could blast-freeze 61,000 pounds of shrimp per day.[The Sun Herald, August 26, 1993, p. D-5]

 

 

 

 

BILOXI ICE COMPANY

Incorporated in 1925 by H.M. Folkes, Eric Babendreer and Edgar P. Guice (1898-1970).[The Daily Herald, June 4, 1925, p.  ]

 

 

 

 

 

 

CRYSTAL ICE COMPANY

 

Samuel Ross Morgan Jr. (1914-1993) was born at Arkansas on   1914 to Samuel Ross Morgan and 

 

He married Kathaleen Hobbs (1917-1996)

 

 

 

NEW ICE COMPANY

 

Sanborn Map [Biloxi, Mississippi circa 1947-Sheet 21]

The New Ice Company

 

 

SOUTH MISSISSIPPI ICE COMPANY

 

Sanborn Map [Biloxi, Mississippi circa 1947-Sheet 4]

 

 

 

In March 1936, Hermes F. Gautier sold the two ice plants owned by SMIC situated at Gulfport to Richard R. Guice.  Mr. Gautier planned to devote his time to the Biloxi ice manufacturing plant.[The Daily Herald, March 6, 1936, p. 10)

 

In June 1946, Hermes F. Gautier named Hermes Quin Gautier (1920-2003), his son called Quin, as manager when Lee Gutierrez resigned to form a new ice company.  Quin was a 1941 graduate of Tulane University.  Returning from World War II as a naval veteran, he joined SMIC as assistant manager.[The Daily Herald, June 1, 1946, p. 2]

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

REFERENCES:

 

Charles L. Dyer, ALONG THE GULF, 1895

 

 

The Biloxi Herald,

The Biloxi Herald,

The Biloxi Herald, ‘Ice war ended’, July 20, 1895.

The Biloxi Herald,

 

The Biloxi Herald,

 

The Biloxi Daily Herald, 

The Biloxi Daily Herald, 

The Biloxi Daily Herald, 

The Biloxi Daily Herald, 

The Biloxi Daily Herald, 

The Biloxi Daily Herald, 

The Biloxi Daily Herald, 

 

 

 

 

The Daily Herald, ‘The Charter of Incorporation of the Biloxi Ice Company’, June 4, 1925.

 

 

The Daily Herald, ‘New ice plant’, June 29, 1927.

The Daily Herald, ‘

The Daily Herald, ‘

The Daily Herald, ‘New $100,000 freezing company is formed today’, January 10, 1946.

The Daily Herald, ‘

The Daily Herald, ‘Name Quinn Gautier ice company manager’, June 1, 1946.

The Daily Herald, ‘

The Daily Herald, ‘

The Daily Herald, ‘Henry Gutierrez dies this morning’, July 2, 1953.

The Daily Herald, ‘

The Daily Herald, ‘

The Daily Herald, ‘Son to succeed father at Biloxi freezing plant‘, March 22, 1968, p.