John L. McCaughan




George Holley




Charles Bellman

            Appointed April 1842.(Minutes Board of Police, p. 24)



Isaac B. Currie




Joshua A. Talbott




Brantley Bond




Charles E. Schoenwitz


William O. Hathorne




Harrison County, Mississippi Minutes of the Board of Police



James Blythe




John D. Howard





Henry M. Elmer





James Fewell






Miss Laura Fewell





Francis A. Barthes





Andrew B. Morgan







Louis Holley

Louis Holley (1841-1892) was the son of Justice of the Peace Benjamin Holley (18-pre 1870) and Burissa Bradford (1808-1881).  In January 1879, Louis Holley (1841-1892) married Louisa Hahn (1847-1927), the daughter of John Hahn (1806-1847) and Elizabeth Hahn (1812-1904), German immigrants who owned the Magnolia Hotel on Front Street at Biloxi.  Louis and Louisa H. Holley were the parents of Geneva Holley (1879-1960); Anson Holley (1882-1967) m. Mary Liliana Caillavet (1883-1967); Louis C. Holley (1884-1973) m. Mary Agregaard (1893-1981); John Benjamin Holley (1886-1925); Sarah Louisa Holley (1889-1931); and Florence May Holley (1892-1953).


1889-Post Office burns

Biloxi had a large fire occur in the Central Business District on June 5th.  Damage estimated at $75,000. The fire started in the Herald Building.  Major losses suffered by: Mrs. C.M. Rugge who lost two-story residence valued at $9000;Constantine Olivari (1841-1894) who lost his two-story residence, ship chandlry business, dry goods and groceries on the corner of Lameuse Street and Pass Christian Street valued at $8000; Dr. James J. Lemon lost his drug store and home worth $7500.  The Post Office building of Louis Holley was also destroyed.  Mobile, Alabama sent two fire engines on a special train, but they arrived after Biloxi firemen had the conflagration extinguished.(The Daily Picayune, June 6, 1889, p. 1)

Louis Holley expired in early November 1892.  Louise Hahn Holley died



The Biloxi Herald,“Resolution of respect to the memory of Louis Holley”, November 19, 1892.

The Daily Picayune,“Biloxi Burnt”, June 6, 1889.



Margaret G. Davis

Margaret Green Davis (18-1939) was born     the daughter of Captain S.S. Green (18-1869) and Margaret Cary (1818-1896). 

Margaret Green Davis died on January 15, 1939.

Weather reports at Biloxi were posted on the outside door of the US Post Office after arriving on the morning L&N train.(The Biloxi Herald, January 16, 1892, p. 4)



The Biloxi Herald, “Directory”, February 1, 1890.

The Biloxi Herald, "Local Happenings", January 16, 1892.

The Biloxi Herald, “Improvement in the post office”, June 15, 1895.

The Biloxi Herald, “Gen. Joseph R. Davis”, September 19, 1896.

The Biloxi Herald, “Doubly afflicted”, October 10, 1896.

The Biloxi Herald, “Improvement on the post office”, October 10, 1896.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “City Directory”, October 30, 1897.

The Clarion Ledger, “Mrs. J.R. Davis confirmed”, March 14, 1889.





William G. Henderson

William Gaston Henderson (1828-1902) was born on August 3, 1828 at Milton, Caswell County, North Carolina.  In 1855, he married Dona Hubbard (1834-1909), the daughter of David Hubbard, a US Representative from Alabama, at the Hubbard home known as Kinlock.  The Hendersons were the parents of Dona Henderson Liddle; Mrs. J.E. Moseley; William Gaston Henderson II; and Mrs. George P. Hewes of Gulfport.


In November 1902, Dona Henderson Liddle, the daughter of recently deceased Postmaster Henderson applied for the position as Biloxi’s postmistress to complete the unexpired term of her father.  She was touted by the local journal as “a lady of fine business qualifications and should she receive the appointment will administer the affairs of the office in a manner that will be creditable to the government as well as herself”.(The Biloxi Daily Herald, November 20, 1902, p. 6)



T.H. Glenn, The Mexican Gulf Coast on Mobile Bay & Mississippi Sound Illustrated, (Graham-Delchamps: Mobile, Alabama-1893).

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “City Directory”, October 30, 1897.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Biloxi Post Office”, November 13, 1897.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “City Directory”, December 20, 1898.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “At Rest”, November 18, 1902.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Judge Henderson”, February 5, 1902.

The Daily Herald, “Necrology-Mrs. William Gaston Henderson”, April 30, 1909.



John F. Williams

John F. Williams (1847-1906) was an Alabama native.



The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Deaths”, January 9, 1906.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “City News”, January 19, 1906.




James C. Tyler

James C. Tyler (1872-1930+) came to Biloxi, Mississippi in 1903 as a deputy U.S. Marshall.  He had been U.S. Postmaster at Columbia, Mississippi.  J.C. Tyler was born the eldest of ten children in March 1872 on a farm near rural Bogue Chitto, Lincoln County, Mississippi to James Martin Tyler (1848-1900+) and Mary L. Tyler (1852-1900+).  James C. Tyler married Beulah D. Sullivan on Christmas Day 1899 in Lincoln County.  They were the parents of three children: James L. Tyler (1901-1930+); Louise Tyler (1903-1930+); and Ferd M. Tyler (1905-1930+).(1880 Lincoln County, Mississippi Federal Census T9_655, p. 1, ED 33, 1900 Lincoln Co., Mississippi T623_817, p. 9A, ED 97, and 1900 Marion Co., Mississippi T623_819, p. 5A, ED 74)



James C. Tyler had been nominated by President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919) for his new post at Biloxi, Mississippi on January 29, 1906.


U.S. Marshall

In April 1908, Biloxi postmaster, James C. Tyler (1872-1910+), announced that he and Edgar S. Balthrope (1873-1939) had mapped a rural mail route covering about thirty-one miles to provide postal service to those families living north of the Back Bay of Biloxi and in the Tchoutacabouffa region.  They had traveled the area by horse and buggy to acquire signatures of these denizens.(The Biloxi Daily Herald, April 21, 1908, p. 1)


This proposed rural mail route was described as follows:  The rural mail carrier starting from the Biloxi post office will go west and leave the city by the Pass Christian road.  He will travel along this road to near what is known as the Collin’s place and will then turn south to the beach.  He will drive west along the beach past Mr. Watson’s and to Beauvoir.  The Beauvoir mail is now handled from Gulfport, the Gulfport route coming up to that point, but by previous agreement made with the Gulfport postmaster and through Senator Money, this is to belong to Biloxi.  After delivering the Beauvoir mail the carrier will start north along Dahlgren Avenue to the Back Bay.  He will cross Back Bay at Popp’s Ferry and Mr. Popp has promised that the crossing there will be at his expense.  Shortly after crossing Popp’s the route turns to the northeast along a new road and strikes the Tchouticabouffa (sic)at Morris’ Ferry [now Cedar Lake] or what is now the Vinnie post office.  Here again the crossing will be made by promise of Mr. Morris without expense to the government.


From Morris’ Ferry the route proceeds west and then southwest along the new road to Moccasin Point.  From Moccasin Point the carrier will turn sharply back to the north to Reed’s Store.  This will bring him near Woolmarket.  Whether he shall go to Woolmarket or not has not been positively settled, but the chances are that he will, as the people of Woolmarket are anxious to have a rural delivery.  From Woolmarket the route proceeds east to Campbell’s Cross Roads, from the southeast to John Krohn’s and then again northeast to the Tchouticabouffa [sic]River, which is crossed at Lamey’s Ferry [now Lamey’s Bridge].  From there the route continues east past Johnson’s still and thence south to E.S. Balthrope’s on the [Big Ridge Road]ridge, then west along the [Big Ridge Road]  ridge road to the new road, down the new road to a point north of the Jack Farish place and then southeast to the village of Seymour[now D’Iberville] and across the Back Bay bridge into Biloxi.  The route is thirty-one miles in length.  The carrier will make the trip every day and be allowed eight hours in which to make it.(The Biloxi Daily Herald, April 21, 1908, p. 1)


Albert E. Bessey

Albert E. Bessey (1895-1996) was appointed substitute city letter carrier on July 29, 1913.  Young Bessey made the highest score on recent examination for clerk-carriers.(The Daily Herald, August 7, 1913, p. 8)



The Biloxi Daily Herald, “To and Fro”, February 23, 1903.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “City News”, April 20, 1903.

The Biloxi Daily Herald,

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Personal”, October 9, 1903.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Postmaster J.C. Tyler”, January 30, 1906.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Resignation accepted”, February 17, 1906.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Post Office changes hands”, March 1, 1906.

The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Increased postal facilities”, August 22, 1906.

The Biloxi Daily Herald,

The Biloxi Daily Herald,

The Biloxi Daily Herald,

The Daily Herald, “Dedication [Federal Building]is big success”, August 18, 1908.

The Daily Herald, “”,

The Daily Herald, “Postmasters will be here”, June 18, 1909.

The Daily Herald, “Glad Tyler is again Postmaster”, January 20, 1910.

The Daily Herald, “Grand Marshal names aides for Big Parade”, August 25, 1911.

The Daily Herald, “Republicans elect”, March 25, 1912.

The Daily Herald, “”,

The Daily Herald, “”,

The Daily Herald, “Young Biloxian gets good appointment”, August 7, 1913.

The Daily Herald, “Meunier’s appointment as Postmaster confirmed”, August 25, 1913.

The Daily Herald, “Meunier takes office today; succeeds Tyler”, September 1, 1913.

The Daily Herald, “Visitors from the interior”, June 5, 1914.

The Daily Herald, “”,

The Daily Herald, “J.C. Tyler returns reports good crops and Jackson patriotism”, November 14, 1918.

The Daily Herald, “”,

The Daily Herald, “J.C. Tyler named U.S. Marshall”, June 27, 1922.

The Daily Herald, “Ferd Tyler visits”, May 14, 1929.

The Ocean Springs Record, “80 years old and still lobbying”, December 7, 1975.


Postmaster John R. Meunier

 John Rene Meunier (1880-1944) was born on June     1880, at Biloxi, Mississippi the son of Leon Charles Meunier (1845-1882+) and Helena Scherer (1852-1896).  Leon C. Meunier was a native of France and settled at New Orleans where he was in the retail oyster trade.  In August 1902, he married Ernestine Gorenflo, the daughter of William Gorenflo (1842-1932) and Theresa Llado.  Children: John R. Meunier Jr. (1903-1955) m. Mable Marie Broussard (1911-2002).


Rural Routes

Otto Tarbutton (1914-1987) and Max Jordan   .(The Daily Herald, July 27, 1943, p. 5)



Postmaster Meunier suffered a debilitating stroke in


Ernestine G. Meunier

Mrs. Meunier replaced her husband as acting Postmaster of Biloxi on June 30, 1942,



John R. Meunier retired as Biloxi’s Postmaster on June 30, 1942.  His retirement was attributed to his age and also a debilitating stroke suffered in early February 1940.



Tony Feldman and Dan Keller (1919-1991) f the post office staff were promoted to foremen.  Feldman at the main post office and Keller at Keesler Field.  J.R. McElroy and Lorrie Gollotte (1923-1990) substitute clerks were made regular clerks.  Eddie E. Stafford Jr. (1923-2008), Clifford Kostmayer and Douglas Mitchell, the latter two members of the military, were promoted from temporary clerks to classified substitute clerks.(The Daily Herald, November 20, 1942, p. 6)


1943 addition

In 1943, the Chalender Construction Company of Springfield, Missouri was awarded a $6400 contract to erect a 1000-square-foot, frame with asbestos shingles, incoming mail room on the northeast corner of the post office.  The contract also specified that a 432 square-foot, extension to the loading platform be built.(The Daily Herald,


George B. Cousins

In January 1944, after J.W. Lunday (1866-1953) rejected the offer to be appointed as Biloxi’s acting postmaster, US Representative William Colmer selected George Barrow Cousins (1883-1969) as acting Postmaster of Biloxi.  Mr. Cousins was born at Tioga, Louisiana on September 1, 1883, the son of George Hudson Cousins (1836-1916), a native of New York and Emelia Holbrook (1841-19  )arrived as an infant at Biloxi with his parents in 1889.  His career was primarily with The Daily Herald where he started as a carrier in 1901 and climbed the corporate ladder to printer’s devil, circulation manager, and city editor.  He left the local journal briefly in 1925 to pursue an interest in real estate and returned as an advertising manager.  At the time of his appointment, George B. Cousins had been with the Daily Herald for forty-three years.(The Daily Herald, January 11, 1944, p. 1)


George Barrow Cousins(1883-1969) and Margaret ‘Maude‘ Clare Hannon (1890-1919).  His mother died in early January 1919, shortly after she delivered their third child, baby boy Cousins (1918-1918).  At Biloxi on April 20, 1908, George B. Cousins had married Maude Clare Hannon, a native of Louisiana and the daughter of Irish immigrants, Peter Hannon (1837-1889) and Mary Leaghy, Lahey or Leahey.  Before her early demise, Maude had bore two sons: George Barrow Cousins Jr. (1909-1966) and Peter Hannon Cousins (1910-1979).(The Daily Herald, April 21, 1908, p. 1, January 1, 1919, p. 1, January 2, 1919, p. 3, and January 6, 1919, p. 3 and Harrison Co., Ms. MRB 19, p. 379)


After the demise of his spouse, George B. Cousins married Alma Elizabeth Brander (1891-1992), the daughter of John C. Brander (1843-1913) and Emma Sandow Brander (1862-1925), on December 23, 1923.(Harrison Co., Ms. MRB 35, p. 440)



The Biloxi Daily Herald, Business and Professional Men, (The Biloxi Daily Herald: Biloxi, Mississippi-1902).

The Daily Herald 50th Golden Jubilee Number Biographical and Historical 1884-1934, (The Daily Herald: Gulfport-Biloxi, Mississippi-1934).

The Daily Herald, “Cousins-Hannon”, April 21, 1908, p. 1.

The Daily Herald, “”,

The Daily Herald, “”,

The Daily Herald, “Meunier’s appointment as Postmaster confirmed”, August 25, 1913.

The Daily Herald, “Meunier takes office today; succeeds Tyler”, September 1, 1913.

The Daily Herald, “Mrs. G.B. Cousins passes away”, January 1, 1919.

The Daily Herald, “Meunier suffers stroke”, February 3, 1940

The Daily Herald, “Meunier retires as Postmaster”, June 29, 1942.

The Daily Herald, “Post Office promotions”, November 20, 1942.

The Daily Herald, “To change rural routes at Biloxi”, July 27, 1943.

The Daily Herald, “New mail provisions”, May 24, 1945.

The Daily Herald, “Cousins named Biloxi acting Postmaster by Colmer”, January 11, 1944.

The Daily Herald, “G.B. Cousins Sr. is honored by Elks”, March 9, 1944.

The Daily Herald, “New mail provisions”, May 24, 1945.

The Daily Herald, “”,

The Daily Herald, “”,

The Daily Herald, “”,



Postmaster Elvas V. Shove-[1945-1961]

Elvas Vinton ‘El” Shove (1899-1987) was born at Tracy, Lyon County, Iowa on July 21, 1899.  His parents were Marius Bolton Shove (1872-1953) and Minnie E. Shove (1880-1968).  The Shove family arrived on the Mississippi Gulf Coast in 1907 settling in Harrison County Beat 3 where Marius B. Shove farmed.  The Shove clan probably came from Minnesota.  The known Shove children are: Irene? Nola V. Shove (1900-1920+); Arno C. Shove (1905-1987+) m. Emm Shove (1899-1979); Iver Shove (1906-1974); Ivel I. Shove (1906-1994); Milo Shove (1908-1910+); Elva Mae Shove (1912-1987+) m. Horace R. Guillotte; Esther L. Shove (1913-2006) m. Emile O. Harder, Jr. (1903-1975); and Elmo B. Shove (1916-1987+) m. Bernice Wedgeworth.


Grace Grayson

Before 1930, Elvas V. Shove married Grace Grayson (1899-1989), the daughter of George W. Grayson (1870-1943) and Mamie Pol (1873-1951).  She was probably born at Mississippi City, Harrison County, Mississippi where her father was a telegraph operator.  The Grayson family moved to Biloxi before 1910 where George W. Grayson and family resided on Reynoir Street and he made his livelihood as the agent for the Southern Express Company at the L&N Railroad depot.(1900 and 1910 Harrison Co., Mississippi Federal Census T623_809, p. 20A, ED 32 and T624_740, p. 11A, ED 35)


Elvas V. Shove was superintendent of the Keesler Field postal station when he was confirmed as Biloxi’s postmaster by the U.S. Senate in       .  He retired on November 1, 1961


KAFB impact-1942

Keesler Field, an Army Air Corps facility, which was built at Biloxi just before America’s entry into WWII, had a significant impact on the rapid growth of the Biloxi postal system.  Large volumes of mail received and sent by this rapidly growing military base created about fifty jobs between September 1941 and September 1942 as there were approximately seventy postal employees in the Biloxi post by mid-September 1942.(The Daily Herald, September 13, 1942, p. 6)


In October 1941, Edward N. Suter (1896-1950) of Biloxi with the Railway Mail Service, Charles W. DeVault, Okolona, Mississippi native, who was on detail at Camp Shelby, and J.E. Chapman of Jackson were all transfered to Keesler Field as dispatch clerks.  James Thacker, Granville Foster, and James McElroy were classified under Civil Service effective October 16, 1941.(The Daily Herald, Ocotber 8, 1941, p. 8)


In 1950, KAFB began a $36, 675,000 building program which included academic buildings, a dining hall, barracks, motor pool and the $6,200,000, Wherry family housing project of one, two and three bedroom houses.  This growth in West Biloxi’s Rural Route No. 3 resulted in it being brought into the Biloxi city delivery mail service  by December 1951.  Two mail carriers were assigned to this route instead of one.  Since it was now classified as city delivery, mailmen assigned to this route could no longer sell stamps and money orders.  These had to be purchased at the Biloxi Post Office.(The Daily Herald, December 1, 1951, p. 1)


D'Iberville Community-1949

In February 1949, it was announced that through the efforts of Congressman William Colmer (D)-Mississippi that a rural post office station would open at North Biloxi, referred to as the d'Iberville Community on March 1, 1949.  The North Biloxi postal station was situated in the Quave Brothers Texaco station and was called 'Fletcher's News Stand'.(The Daily Herald, February 19, 1949, p. 2)


Irish Hill




New Post Office

On November 9, 1959, the new Biloxi Post Office opened on Main Street in the new Federal building. The 700 post office box users had to learn to use the new combination locks as keys were no longer used.(The Daily Herald, November 6, 1959, p. 10)




The Biloxi Daily Herald, Business and Professional Men, (The Biloxi Daily Herald: Biloxi, Mississippi-1902).

The Daily Herald 50th Golden Jubilee Number Biographical and Historical 1884-1934, (The Daily Herald: Gulfport-Biloxi, Mississippi-1934).

The Daily Herald, “Postoffice changes”, October 8, 1941.

The Daily Herald, “70 Postoffice employees”, September 13, 1942.

The Daily Herald, “Shove confirmed as Biloxi postmaster”, June 22, 1945.

The Daily Herald, 'New North Biloxi Post Office Station', February 19, 1949.

The Daily Herald, 'Post Office Sub-Station to open', February 22, 1949.

The Daily Herald, “New West Biloxi postal service”, December 1, 1951.

The Daily Herald, “Start use of new PO Monday”, November 6, 1959.

The Sun Herald, “E.V. ‘El’ Shove”, October 18, 1987.

The Sun Herald, “Mrs. Grace G. Shove”, August 16, 1989.


John W. Lunday








Postmaster Lorie D. Gollotte

 Lorie D. Gollotte (1923-1990) was born on August 17, 1923 to Lorie Gollotte (1901-1975) and Grace (1907-)      .  He married Kathryn Beech in Biloxi, Mississippi on June 5, 1942 at the Church of the Redeemer.  Lorie enlisted in the U.S. Army on March 6, 1943 at Camp Shelby, Stone County, Mississippi.


Lorie D. Gollotte attended the University of Mississippi and commenced his career as a substitute clerk with the post office on November 25, 1941.  He was appointed officer-in-charge of the Biloxi post office January 12, 1962 and was named acting postmaster on July 6, 1962.  He was appointed postmaster at Biloxi on September 4, 1962. 


Charles W. DeVault was promoted to assistant postmaster on April 13, 1963.  He had come to the Coast in October 1941 from Camp Shelby when he was transfrred to Keesler Field as a dispatch clerk.  Mr. DeVault was a native of Okolona, Mississsippi.(The Daily Herald, April 13,1963, p. 1 and October 8, 1941, p. 8) 


Amel A. Howell [1909-1976]


Amel A. Howell was appointed Supertendent of Mails at Biloxi in September 1963 replacing the retired Val Lunday.[The Daily Herald, September 16, 1963, p. 18]



The entire clerical staff of the Biloxi post office were given achievement awards.  First time in Mississippi or nation that this had occurred.(The Daily Herald, August 19, 1964, p. 18)


On October 18,1979, the Biloxi Development Commission Urbam Renewal Agency, City of Biloxi, Mississippi conveyed a quitclaim deed to the United Postal Service for a large lot on Main Street between Jackson and Water Streets.[Harrison Co., Mississipp 2nd JD Chancery Court Land Deed Bk. 96, p. 259)



The Daily Herald, “Gollotte confirmed Postmaster”, September 1, 1962.

The Daily Herald, “DeVault new assistant Postmaster”, April 13, 1963.

The Daily Herald, [Amel] Howell named Superintendent of mails at Biloxi", September 16, 1963.

The Daily Herald, “Achievement awards given at Post Office”, August 19, 1964.


W.G. Nicholson





William E. Chatham




Michael A. Bertucci






Robert A. Patterson



John A. Gerleman