Lee V. Pringle
Lee Vernon Pringle (1866-1938) was a native of Semmes Chapel, Mobile County, Alabama. He was born February 28, 1866, the son of Frank M. Pringle and Corinia Yonge (1845-1920). L.V. Pringle came to Biloxi in 1908, probably from Latonia, Jackson County, Mississippi where he was associated with the Latonia Turpentine Company and Union Naval Stores of Mobile. These organizations were naval stores manufacturers and dealers in general merchandise. In 1901, Pringle served as postmaster at Latonia, which is about 12 miles northwest of Semmes Chapel, Alabama.
Mr. Pringle invented a turpentine cup, which was manufactured by the Pringle Cup Company in Daisy, Tennessee. In 1902, the Chattanooga Pottery Company of Daisy, Tennessee was formed by the Consolidated Naval Stores Company, to manufacture clay cups. Consolidated Naval Stores was formed by the merger of seven Florida and Georgia factorage houses also in 1902. They had offices in Savannah, Jacksonville, and Pensacola. It is very probable that the Pringle Cup Company was a name only and that the clay cups were manufactured by the Chattanooga Pottery Company.
It is interesting to note that in October 1912, The Daily Herald, reported that D.G. Zeigler, proprietor of the Petrous Manufacturing Company, was erecting factory on Lee Street in Biloxi near the L&N Railroad tracks. Zeigler planned to make turpentine cups at his plant.(The Daily Herald, October 16, 1912, p. 8)
L.V. Pringle was elected president of the Turpentine and Resin Association of New Orleans in January 1918.(The Daily Herald, January 26, 1918, p. 3)
In addition to his naval stores operations in Mississippi, Mr. Pringle had turpentine and rosin operations in Florida, Alabama, and Louisiana. He was vice-president of the Gillican-Chipley Company of New Orleans for fifteen years and held the same position with the Pringle-Gay Turpentine Company. L.V. Pringle also had his own real estate company and held large personal land holdings.
Lee V. Pringle married Victoria Voltz (1885-1935). She was born at Perdido, Florida, the daughter of Robert M. Voltz and Elizabeth King of Selma and Montgomery, Alabama respectively. The Pringles had six children: Lee Vernon Pringle Jr. (1902-1974) m. Harriet Kistner (1903-1994); Robert H. Pringle (1904-1981) m. Gladys A. (19-1970); Thomas N. Pringle (1906-1970) m. Elizabeth Murphy Moorman (1917-1982) m. C. Ashmead Biddulph (1907-1992); Victor Boyd Pringle (1909-1977) m. Margaret Woodley (1911-1997); Vivian Pringle (1912-1992) m. Archibald Clinton Hewes (1904-1978); James W. Pringle (1914-1971)m. Jane Kempe Wood (1917-1977); and Jackson Pringle (1919-1920). ((The Daily Herald, may 6, 1935, p. 3)
Lee V. Pringle expired on October 8, 1938. He and many family members are interred at the Biloxi Cemetery.(The Daily Herald, October 9, 1938, p. 3)
Pringle-Reagan Ford Agency
In 1932, Robert H. Holmes (1869-1949) and Sons acquired the Ford motorcar agency at Biloxi. They incorporated as the Holmes Motor Company in April 1932. Their Ford Agency was relocated from Lameuse Street and the L&N Railroad to the northeast corner of West Howard Avenue and Caillavet Street. In October 1933, the Holmes Motor Company had a curious demonstration in their Lameuse Street showroom to demonstrate the chassis and springs strength of their automobiles. One Ford had 3400 pounds of lumber placed on its top.(The Daily Herald, October 10, 1933, p. 3)
Mr. Holmes sold the business to the Pringle-Reagan Motor Company. This organization was led by the Pringle brothers, L.V. Pringle Jr. (1902-1974), Robert H. Pringle (1904-1981), Thomas N. Pringle (1906-1970), and Victor B. Pringle (1909-1977). Their other partners were a cousin, Frank E. Pringle Jr. (1909-1957), and Dewey R. Reagan.(Harrison Co., Ms. Charter Bk. 52, p. 123and The Daily Herald, June 2, 1935, p. 2)
On formal opening day in late June 1935, the public was invited to observe that the building had been renovated and cleaned thoroughly and the entire plant elevated to first class conditions. The large workshop in the north section of the structure was made into a temporary auditorium and a five reel motion picture of the Ford plant in Michigan, Ford cars climbing Pike’s Peak and other promotional features of the Ford automobile were shown during the afternoon. Some of the employees of the organization at this time were: L.V. Pringle Jr.; Dewey Reagan; Frank Pringle; E. Jacquot; John Stojcich; T.N. Lightsey, salesman; J.W. Watts, salesman; and the garage force: George Wilson; Robert Illsley; Dudley Powell; and H. Campbell.(The Daily Herald, July 1, 1935, p. 2)
On their 5th anniversary celebrated in late May 1940, the Pringle-Reagan Motor Company announced that had 18 employees and a $19,224 annual payroll.(The Daily Herald, May 31, 1940, p. 6)
Lee V. Pringle Jr.
Born on October 23, 1902, at Latonia, Jackson County, Mississippi, Lee Vernon Pringle Jr. (1902-1974) was the son of L.V. Pringle (1866-1938) and Victoria Voltz (1885-1935). The Pringle family had its roots at Semmes Chapel, Mobile County, Alabama. Circa 1908, they arrived in Biloxi, probably relocating from Latonia, a small turpentine camp situated in northeast Jackson County. At this sylvan village, Mr. L.V. Pringle, Sr. was associated with the Latonia Turpentine Company and Union Naval Stores of Mobile. In 1901, he was postmaster at Latonia. The other L.V. Pringle, Sr. children were: Robert H. Pringle, Thomas N. Pringle, Victor Pringle, Vivian P. Hewes, and Jackson Pringle (1919-1920).
Circa 1934, Lee Vernon Pringle, Jr.came to Ocean Springs from Biloxi to commence The Ocean Springs Feed Store in the Wieder building on Government Street. He resided with his wife, Harriet Kistner Pringle (1903-1994), and sons, Lee V. Pringle III (1927-1996) and Charles K. Pringle, at 50 General Pershing Avenue in Ocean Springs. Pringle had been employed in Biloxi at the Pringle-Reagan Motor Company on Howard Avenue.
The Pringle feed business at Ocean Springs lasted about seven years. In 1942, L.V. Pringle, Jr. returned to Biloxi and became president of the Pringle-Reagan Motor Company. At Biloxi, the family resided at 1077 Howard Avenue.
Victor B. Pringle
Victor B. Pringle Jr.
Frank E. Pringle
Frank Ernest Pringle (1872-1925) was born at Semmes Chapel, Mobile County, Alabama on August 18, 1872. His parents were Frank M. Pringle and Corinia Yonge (1845-1920). He came to Biloxi in 1908. F.E. Pringle was in the turpentine business in Harrison and Jackson Counties. He was president of the Jackson Naval Stores Company. In 1913, they were headquartered in the Bolton Building at Biloxi. George F. Mason served the organization as vice-president while A. Hadley was secretary-treasurer.(Biloxi City Directory 1913-1914, p. 154)
F.E. Pringle was highly lauded in May 1916, for the celerity in which he rebuilt the Jackson Naval Stores still at Florala. The fire still, located near the Florala Post Office, had been completely destroyed in a conflagration. Pringle brought in equipment and supplies from other company operations as well as sending damaged machinery to Mobile for repair. The Daily Herald of Biloxi said of Mr. Pringle's efforts, "this is the quickest work of its kind ever seen among turpentine producers in this section" (The Daily Herald, May 30, 1916, p. 8).
F.E. Pringle developed the Pringle Subdivison at North Biloxi, now D'Iberville, which he acquired in February 1913. In 1922, he sold 2.12 acres at North Biloxi for the Methodist Church on Race Track Road.(HARCO, Ms. Land Deed Bk. 106, p. 285 and Bk. 130, p. 181).
F.E. Pringle married Dellie M. Orso (1881-1927), the daughter of Joseph A. Orso and Mittie Williams of Alabama. Mrs. Pringle was a native of Malcolm, Alabama. The F.E. Pringles had eight children: Esther Lucille Pringle (1902-1926); Mattie Corrine Pringle (1902-1982) m. Thomas Colson ; Ernestine Pringle (1907-1981) m. Wallace Drew jr. (1901-1971); Cora 'Coca' Mittey Pringle m. Gill Chinn ? and Mack H. Griffin (1912-2000); Mittie May Pringle m. Grady A. Horton; Frank Ernest Pringle Jr. (1909-1957) m. Edna Grueling (1908-1941) and Bertha Marie Egan (19-1983); Woodrow W. Pringle (1914-1963) m. Evelyn Burdine; and Roland Ward Pringle (1919-1972).
F.E. Pringle expired on November 26, 1925. His corporal remains are interred in the Biloxi Cemetery. Dellie Pringle passed on March 19, 1927 at her domicile at 520 Seal Avenue.(The Daily Herald, November 27, 1925, p. 1 and March 19, 1927, p. 1)
Harrison County, Mississippi Chancery Court Cause No. 8549, 'The Estate of F.E. Pringle'-August 1925.
The Daily Herald, "L.V. instead of F.E. Pringle", January 26, 1918.
The Daily Herald,“Biloxi youth [Victor B. Pringle]accidentally shot”, November 28, 1909, p. 1.
The Daily Herald,“Victor Boyd Pringle improved”, November 29, 1909, p. 4.
The Daily Herald, "Death Takes F.E. Pringle", November 27, 1925.
The Daily Herald,“Miss [Esther]Pringle dies”, February 26, 1926,
The Daily Herald, "Mrs. F.E. Pringle taken by death", March 19, 1927.
The Daily Herald, "J.F. Payne goes to his reward", October 18, 1929, p. 1.
The Daily Herald,“Victor Pringle now lawyer”, June7, 1933, p. 5.
The Daily Herald, "Mrs. Pringle dies at Biloxi", May 6, 1935, p. 1.
The Daily Herald,“Pringle-Reagan Co. buy Ford Agency”, June 2, 1935, p. 2.
The Daily Herald,“Ford Dealers Entertain”, July 1, 1935, p. 2.
The Daily Herald, “Now it is turpentine”, July 31, 1936, p. 7.
The Daily Herald, "L.V. Pringle, Sr. dies at Biloxi home after long illness", October 9, 1938, p. 3.
The Daily Herald,“Ford Dealers entertain”, Jul 1, 1935, p. 2.
The Daily Herald,“L.V. Pringle, Sr. dies at Biloxi home”, October 9, 1938, p. 3.
The Daily Herald,“Biloxi Ford Company has anniversary”, May 31, 1940, p. 6.
The Daily Herald,“Tom Pringle Sr. dies, funeral rites Tuesday”, October 5, 1970.
The Daily Herald,“James W. Pringle”, May 31, 1971, p. 2.
The Daily Herald,“Victor Pringle Sr. dies”, October 31, 1977, p. 2.
The Sun Herald,“Harriet K. Pringle”, November 15, 1994, p. A2.
The Sun Herald,“Margret Woodley Pringle”, April 3, 1997, p. C2.
The Sun Herald,“Mack H. Griffin”, November 2000.
The Sun Herald,“Victor Boyd Pringle Jr.”, May 27, 2009.
- Printer-friendly version
- 607 views