The Nicholas Marino Benachi Family
New Orleans, Louisiana and Biloxi, Mississippi
Nicolas Marino Benachi (1812-1886) was born on the Greek Island of Khios. Khios is located in the Aegean Sea off the west coast of Turkey. It is believed to have been the birthplace of Homer. Khios is known for its school of epic poets, the Homeridae, and it sculptors. It became a Greek possession in 1912. Today with the adjacent islands of Cyclades, Dodecanese, Lesbos, and Samos, Khios forms the Greek department called Aegean Islands.(Webster’s New Geographical Dictionary-1988, p. 261)
NICHOLAS MARINO BENACHI (1812-1886)
[image made March 1998 by Ray L. Bellande. Courtesy of James G. Derbes, NOLA]
N.M. Benachi immigrated to the United States. His brother, Emmanuel Benachi, became Mayor of Athens. Anthony Benachi, a son of Emmanuel, donated his Athens home for the prominent Benachi Museum. Nicolas M. Benachi settled at New Orleans, Louisiana. Here he made his livelihood in the New Orleans cotton trade with the Greek firm, the Ralli Brothers. They were international cotton brokers with offices in London, Cairo, Athens, and India.(Derbes, et al-1998, p. 4) Another branch of the Benachi family in partnership with the Choremi clan operated in the cotton business at Alexandria, Egyptfrom the mid-1800s until dispossessed by Nasser (1918-1970).(Choremi, July 1998)
Nicolas M. Benachi married Catharina Grund (d. 1853). They were the parents of four children: Michel Benachi (1841-1853), Marie B. Botassi (ca. 1842-1894+), Marino Benachi (1853-1853), and Pandia N. Benachi (c. 1857-1891). The Yellow Fever Epidemic of 1853, took the lives of Catharina G. Benachi and two of her children, Michel Benachi and Marino Benachi, while they vacationed in August, at Biloxi, Mississipi. In late September 1856, an inventory of the estate of Mrs. Benachi was filed in the 2nd District Court at New Orleans. The results of this survey showed that the Benachi Estate was valued as follows: Movable objects (primarily furniture)-$331; Two slaves-$1800; and Immovable property (real estate)-$16,550; and Mr. Benachi’s interest in Ralli & Company-$12,293. The credit of the community against N.M. Benachi was $6740, leaving him a net worth of $37,713.(2nd District Court of New Orleans, September 1856)
The following is a summary of what is currently known of the lives of the first family of N.M. Benachi:
Michel Benachi (1841-1853)-died at the age of twelve during the 1853 Yellow Fever Epidemic.(The New Orleans Picayune, September 4, 1853, p. 2, c. 6)
Marie Benachi Botassi (ca.1842-1894+)-married Demetrius Nicholas Botassi in December 1862.(Murray, p. 108) A son, Demetrius Botassi was born at New Orleans on November 15, 1865. She appears to have spent most of her life as a resident of Paris, France. Mr. Botassi was living in New York City in 1886.(Inventory of the Succession of N.M. Benachi-1886) No further information.
Marino Benachi (1853-1853)-died at the age of five months during the Yellow Fever Epidemic of 1853.(The New Orleans Picayune, September 4, 1853, p. 2, c. 6)
Pandia [Paul] N. Benachi (c. 1857-1891)-married Sarah Ann Stohr (1858-1920) in January 1877 in Orleans Parish, Louisiana. Pandia N. Benachi was a resident of Jacksonville, Florida as early as 1880. He took he took his own life at Jacksonville on November 13, 1891. Benachi's remains and those of his spouse are interred in the Evergreen Cemetery at Jacksonville. Florida. (The Columbus [Georgia] Daily Enquirer, November 14, 1891, p. 1; The Daily Picayune, November 1891, p. ; Murray, p. 108; and the Inventory of the Succession of N.M. Benachi-1886)
After the demise of his wife, Catharina Grund, N.M. Benachi married a minor, Anne Marie Bidault (1837-1897), on November 13, 1856. She was a native of Bordeaux and the daughter of Antoine Bidault (1800-1875) of New Orleans and Desire Marie Gilbert (1810-1870+), who was in France in 1856. The couple had a marriage contract drawn up. It consisted of three clauses: 1) no community gains and separate properties between the two parties. 2) husband to contribute to the expense of the marriage. 3) donation of $10,000 to Mrs. Anne B. Benachi from the Succession of N.M. Benachi. The agreement was notarized by Abel Dreyfous, Notary Public for the Parish of Orleans, prior to their wedding in November 1856.(HARCO Chancery Court Cause No. 676, Mrs. A. Benachi v. Marie Batassi, et al, August Term 1894).
The children of this union were: George N. Benachi (1857-1858), Anthony N. Benachi (1858-1916), Helene Benachi Frangopulo (1860-1886), Irene B. Bidault (1862-1942) m. Louis A. Bidault (1862-1940), Belisarie N. Benachi (1864-1923), and Diomede N. Benach (1866-1930). A summary of the lives of the second family of N.M. Benachi follows:
George N. Benachi (1856-1858) was born on August 31, 1857 at New Orleans. He died at New Orleans on October 13, 1858.(The Daily Delta, October 14, 1858, p. 2)
Anthony Nicolas Benachi (1858-1916)-was called Tony. He was born April 10, 1858, at New Orleans. Tony Benachi made his livelihood in the Crescent City as a cotton broker and at Greenville in the Mississippi Delta.(The Biloxi Herald, February 16, 1916, p. 2)
In 1900, he appears to be residing in the Benachi House on the beachfront at Biloxi and employed as a cotton classer.(1900 Federal Census-Harrison County, Mississippi)
A.N. Benachi seems to have been a bon vivant, and yachting at Biloxi was a favorite pastime. Benachi owned the Royal Flush, a sixteen-foot catboat, which competed annually in the Biloxi Regatta. The swift craft also sailed in match races for sizeable prize money.(Ocean Springs Record, April 2, 1998) He organized the West End Yacht Club at Biloxi in August 1900. Tony Benachi served as first commodore while brother, Zio, was vice-commodore.(The Biloxi Daily Herald, August 7, 1900, p. 8).
A.N. Benachi expired at Biloxi , on February 16, 1916, while residing at 422 Elmer Street. His remains were interred in the Benachi plot in the Biloxi Cemetery.(The Biloxi Herald, February 16, 1916, p. 2, c. 7)
Helene Benachi Frangopulo (1860-1886)-was born at New Orleans circa December 1860. She married Nicholas S. Frangopulo in April 1883.(Murray, p. 108) They were childless. Helene B. Frangopulo expired in the Benachi home at 425 Bayou Road on February 19, 1886.(The Times Picayune, February 20, 1886, p. 4). No further information.
Irene Benachi Bidault (1862-1942)-was born at New Orleans on September 28, 1862. She married Louis A. Bidault (1862-1940), an 1866 French immigrant and resident of New Orleans, at Mississippi City in July 1903. Justice J.J. Herbert officiated.(The Biloxi Daily Herald, July 17, 1903, p. 6)
Irene may have been previously married to William S. Douglas in June 1886.(Murray, p. 108). No further information.
Irene expired at New Orleans on May 17, 1942. Louis had preceded her in death passing on December 11, 1940. Their corporal remains were interred in St. Louis No. III cemetery in the Crescent City.(The Times-Picayune, may 18, 1942, p. 2 and December 12, 1940, p. 2)
Besari or Belisaire or Belizarius N. Benachi (1864-1923)-was called Zio. He was born on October 26, 1864 at New Orleans. Zio married Sallie Doyle (d. 1952) at New Orleans in November 1899. She was a Mobile native and resident of Biloxi.(The Biloxi Daily Herald, November 7, 1899, p. 8, c. 2) Three children were born from this union: Edward Anthony Benachi (1904-1921), Thomas W. Benachi(1902-1982) of Chicago and Berwyn, Illinois, and Helene Anna Benachi Waldo (1911-1980) of Huntington, West Virginia and Wilmington, North Carolina.
The spouses of Thomas Benachi and Helene Benachi Waldo were Lise Benachi (1907-1987) and Kenneth C. Waldo (1897-1986) respectively. Thomas and Lise Benachi expired at Berwyn, Illinois, a western suburb of Chicago, while Mr. and Mrs. Waldo passed at Wilmington, North Carolina.(Family Tree Maker (CD ROM-Social Security Death Index, United States, 1937-1996, Volume 1 and Volume 2)
In 1904, Zio Benachi was a bookkeeper for the New Orleans Acid & Fertilizer Company, which was located at 204 Carondelet. The family resided at 376 Millaundon. (Soards (1904), p. 115)
At the time of his demise in 1923, Zio was associated with the Planters Fertilizer & Chemical Company of New Orleans. Mr. Benachi resided at 7901 South Claiborne with his wife, Sallie Doyle, and their two children.(The Biloxi Daily Herald, February 14, 1923, p. 6, c. 3)
Sallie Doyle Benachi passed on September 5, 1952, at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Kenneth C. Waldo, in Huntington, West Virginia. She had three grandchildren.(The Times Picayune, September 13, 1952, p. 2)
Diomedes N. Benachi (1866-1930)-may have been called Eugene. (Federal Census 1880-Orleans Parish, Louisiana). In 1904, he made his livelihood as a drayman with his residence located at 924 Philip Street.(Soards (1904), p. 115.) D.N. Benachi passed on January 27, 1930. His remains were interred at the St. Louis No. 3 Cemetery on Esplanade Avenue in the Crescent City.(The Times Picayune, January 28, 1930, p. 2, c. 7). No further information.
The Benachi-Torre House
2257 Bayou Road, New Orleans, Louisiana.
[photograph taken by Ray L. Bellande in March 1998]
The outstanding center-hall, Classic-style house built in 1859 for Nicholas Benachi and his second wife, Anna Marie Bidault, for $18,000. This was the site of an earlier Bayou Road residence designed for Joseph Zeringue in 1806 by Barthelemy Lafon. The earlier building housed the Bellanger boarding school from 1832 to 1838.
Benachi purchased it with grounds measuring 135 feet front by three arpents depth in 1852 for $11,134. He lived in the earlier maison de maitre with his first wife and children for a short time, but Mme. Benachi died and two of the children died in the yellow fever epidemic in 1853 at their summer home in Biloxi. When Benachi remarried, he demolished the early house, building this one for his new wife. The Benachi family kept its residence until 1886, when Peter Torre purchased it. The house and grounds remained in the Torre family, although the three-arpent depth of the lot has been cut by the extension of Laharpe Street. The house and detached, two-story service building are enclosed on the spacious grounds by a high cast-iron fence having a Gothic style gate. The ensemble is one of the city’s major landmarks. Although the floor plan reflects the traditional American, center-hall plan, the single windows on either side of the entrance and second level door are unusual for New Orleans. Paired box columns supporting the double galleries are another variation from the norm. Adding sophistication to the façade are the pilasters at the corner of the flushboard front. The $18,000 building price in 1859 is high and is reflected in the excellent quality of interior millwork and plaster decoration. The complex was donated to the Louisiana Landmarks Society in 1978 by heirs of Peter Torre.(Christovich, et al, 1980, p. 146)
The Benachi-Torre House is now owned by James G. Derbes. Mr. Derbes, a New Orleans attorney, acquired this historic home in July 1982, from the board of Trustees of the Lousiana Landmarks Society for $227,000.(Derbes, et al, 1998, p. 4) Councilor Derbes resides in the Benachi-Torre House and lets rooms to bed and breakfast patrons. He also owns and rents the Esplanade Villa at 2216 Esplanade Avenue. Mr. Derbes refers to his properties as the Cotton Brokers’ Houses as both edifices were once possessed by prominent cotton traders of the 19th Century.
N.M. Benachi was Consul of Greece at New Orleans, a speculator in real estate and slaves, a hunter, horseman, and founder of the Greek Orthodox Church in the Western hemisphere.(Derbes et al-1998, p. 4) In July 1964, a Trisagion, a traditional Greek Othodox memorial service, was held at the tomb of N.M. Benachi in the St. Louis Cemetery on Esplanade Avenue, in recognition of his founding the Greek Orthodox community in the Western Hemisphere in 1864. The ceremony was integrated into the 13th international conference of the Greek Orthodox Youth of America hosted at the Jung Hotel.(The Times Picayune, July 31, 1964, Section 3, p. 3, c.2)
In 1870, Mr. Benachi made his livelihood as a wholesale merchant at New Orleans. He resides with his wife and five children in the Seventh Ward. His mother-in-law, Marie Gilbert, resided with the family as well as two domestics, William Stewart (1853-1870+) and Hubert Darley (1819-1870+), a black female. Benachi’s net worth was $34,000 of which real estate accounted for $25,000. (Louisiana Federal Census 1870)
By 1880, Benachi was the Greek consul at New Orleans. His sons, Antoine and Belisaire Benachi, were clerks in a store at this time. Three domestic servants were in the Benachi household: Louis Chapon (b. 1845) from France and Louisiana natives, Augustine Johnson (b. 1858) and Anne Millet (b. 1859).(Louisiana Federal Census 1880)
In addition to his land possessions in Louisiana, N.M. Benachi began acquiring land on the seashore at Biloxi, Mississippi in March 1851. At this time, he bought from J.W. Lavillebeuvre for $6500, a tract in the Louis Fayard Claim No. 143 (Section 26, T7S-R9W) which had 232 ½ feet on the beach front and ran north to the Back Bay of Biloxi. Jacques Fayard was to the west and A. Blondeau to the east.(1.) This particular tract of land was traded within the Benachi-Bidault family several times between 1867 and 1876. Pandia N. Benachi sold the parcel to the Pelican Hook & Ladder Company No. 4 in February 1876. Leon Bertoli was president of the fire company at this time.(2) The Biloxi beach front parcel came back to N.M. Benachi in January 1879, when Leon Bertoli of the Pelican Hook & Ladder Company No. 4 quitclaimed it to him.(3)
N.M. Benachi had many land conveyances in the Biloxi area. Unfortunately, they are metes and bounds descriptions and can be located for the most part only in a general sense. Present day Benach Avenue at Biloxi was originally the path for ingress-egress from the N.M. Benachi beachfront home to Pass Christian Road (now Howard Avenue). In the 19th Century, there was no road from the Biloxi Lighthouse eastward towards the village of Biloxi for some distance. (Holland-June 1998) It wasn’t until November 1909, that the City of Biloxi began acquiring a seventy-five foot strip for street and bulkhead purposes from the landowners in this area. The name of the throughway was to be West Beach Street or Front Street.(4)
It is believed that the magnificent live oaks that line this thoroughfare today are the result of Mr. Benachi’s foresight. In December 1905, The Biloxi Daily Herald reported:
Benachi Avenue, from Howard Avenue to the beach, was ordered graded and shelled. This is good new to those living on that beautiful “Avenue of Oaks”. When completed it will form one of the most beautiful thoroughfares in the South or anywhere else.(The Biloxi Daily Herald, December 6, 1905, p. 1, c. 2)
The N.M. Benachi house on the beachfront at Biloxi was moved sometimes in the 19th Century to a position west of present day Benachi Avenue and east of the Biloxi Lighthouse. It was relocated to the west to allow the Benachi driveway-road, which became Benachi Avenue to reach the beachfront. W.P. Kennedy acquired the Benachi home. It was demolished several years after Hurricane Camille of August 1969.(Herron Kennedy, June 1998)
Information on the Benachi House in local journals is rare. It was reported that the Benachi edifice at Biloxi, was entered by thieves on the night of March 29, 1885. Joseph Cody, one of the keepers of the Benachi place, was severely cut on the arm by one of the perpetrators. The villains fled without being identified.(The Daily Picayune, April 1, 1885, p. 1, c. 5)
N.M. Benachi family tomb St. Louis No. 3 Esplanade Avenue, NOLA
[image by Ray L. Bellande December 1997]
N.M. Benachi died intestate on February 8, 1886, at New Orleans. He left the following lands at Biloxi with an estimated value of $15,000.
Bounded South by the front bay or Gulf of Mexico. East by property now owned by John Cleary. North by Section line and West by the estate of Jacques Fayard having a front on said front bay or Gulf of Mexico of three hundred and twenty two feet-six inches running back due North between parallel lines to said section line a distance of 40 arpents more or less. Also one lot bounded South by lands of Henry Miller. West by property now owned by Dr. Maloney. North by the property of Charles Fayard. East by above described lot measuring North and South eight hundred feet, East and West.(Harrison County Chancery Court Cause No. 676, August 1894)
From the transcription of the Inventory of the Succession of Nicholas M. Benachi-February 1886, provided by James G. Derbes of New Orleans, the appraised value of the N.M. Benachi Estate was as follows:
Value of movable effects-$471.00
Value of shares of stock-$450.00
Value of silverware-$42.50
Value of claims-$200.00
Value of real estate-$11,715.00
In August 1894, Mrs. Benachi petitioned the Chancery Court of Harrison County, Mississippi for a forced heirship sale of these lands. She told of her marriage contract with N.M. Benachi and the clause where she was entitled to $10,000 from his estate.(HARCO Chancery Court Cause No. 676, Anna Benachi v, Marie Botassi, et al, August Term 1894)
N.M. BENACH HOUSE at BILOXI
[photograph taken by Ray L. Bellande of a pencil drawing of the N.M. Benachi House at Biloxi by Kathy Kennedy. Courtesy of Herron Kennedy 119 Benachi Avenue, Biloxi, Mississippi]
In August 1895, Special Commissioner, F.G. Hewes, conveyed to Anna Benachi the lands at Biloxi in the estate of her late husband for $8000.(5)
Several months before her demise in November 1897, Mrs. N.M. Benachi with her son, Diomedes N. Benachi, as attorney-in-fact, platted a subdivision titled, “Benachi Addition to the City of Biloxi”. This strip of land is 275 feet in width and extends about 1700 feet north of Howard Avenue.(2nd Judicial District Harrison County Chancery Court, Copy Book 1, p. 9) Present boundaries of the Benachi Addition are: north by Division Street, east by Graham, south by Howard Avenue, and west by Benachi Avenue. The heirs of Mrs. Anna Benachi sold the last parcel of land here in May 1905.(6)
After Mrs. Benachi’s death, Zio, Dio, and Irene Benachi in May 1903, sold their ¾ interest in what was known at Biloxi, as “the Benachi property” to Patrick Kennedy for $8,250. Tony Benachi retained his ¼ interest in the beachfront tract and became a business partner of Mr. Kennedy.(7)
The Benachi house was relocated in July 1903 from its original site to the lot west of the new street [Benachi Avenue] across from which it now stands.(The Biloxi Daily Herald, June 4, 1903, p. 6)
Entrepreneur, Patrick Kennedy (1845-1913), was born May 1845, in Gaulestown, Kilkenny County, Eire. He immigrated to the United States in 1866. Circa 1871, Pat Kennedy married, probably at New Orleans, the Irish immigrant widow of Bernard McKenna, Margaret M’Kenna (1845-1905). She was the mother of eleven children, five of whom were alive at the commencement of the 20thCentury.(Federal Census 1900-Harrison County, Mississippi) Mrs. Kennedy had a brother, Thomas P.McKenna (d. 1920), who resided at Long Beach, New Jersey.(The Daily Herald, July 26, 1920, p. 3, c. 1)
The family of Pat and Margaret Kennedy were: William P. Kennedy (1873-1951), and John J. Kennedy (1875-1949). Her M’Kenna children were: Mary M. Hodgins, (d. 1895), Sarah M’Kenna(1861-1903), Katherine M. Coyle (1864-1952), and Margaret M. Baltar (1870-1945).
The Patrick Kennedy family arrived at Biloxi from New Orleans on a permanent basis, in the early 1890s. They had established summer residency here in 1884. At New Orleans, Mr. Kennedy was initially engaged in the cooperage business. He later operated a retail soda water operation.(The Biloxi Herald, March 10, 1913, p. 1)
One of Pat Kennedy’s first business ventures on the Mississippi Gulf Coast was to ship raw oysters. He operated as P. Kennedy & Company.(Biloxi Herald, November 12, 1892) The renown, turn of the Century, Kennedy Hotel was erected by this family on the southeast corner of Reynoir Street and Railroad, just east of the L&N Depot. The land on which the Kennedy Hotel was built was acquired by W.P. Kennedy from the Estate of Marie Harvey Bellande (1840-1894) as a result of a forced heirship sale, Harrison County, Mississippi Chancery Court Cause No. 710, “ Ida Bellande Gossow v. Antoine V. Bellande, et al”.
The Kennedy Hotel occupied the site of the 1882 homestead of Captain Antoine V. Bellande (1829-1918), a French immigrant bar pilot, and his family. The Depot Saloon, which was operated by Captain Bellande’s son, Joseph A. Bellande (1868-1961), was also on the hotel parcel.(Bellande-1991, p. 31 and p. 42)
Two of Pat Kennedy’s sons, William P. Kennedy and John J. Kennedy, made important contributions to the economic and history of Biloxi. William P. Kennedy was originally in the drug business as Kennedy & Folkes. He later became engaged in the seafood business and is credited with bringing the first trawler to Biloxi.(The Daily Herald, December 24, 1951, p. 6, c. 3)
John J. Kennedy served the people of Biloxi as Mayor for fourteen years. He managed the Kennedy Hotel for many years after his father passed. At the time of his demise, J.J. Kennedy was the US comptroller of customs at New Orleans.(The Daily Herald, September 13, 1949, p. 1, c. 6 and p. 4, c. 4)
The Benachi property at Biloxi was defined as having a 322-foot front on the Gulf and running north to Howard Avenue with John Cleary to the east and Mrs. Henry Miller to the west.(8) A good approximation of “the Benachi property” in current view would place Benachi Avenue at the center of the parcel, with strips of land 140 feet wide on each side, running north to Howard Avenue.
During the years of the next decade, Patrick Kennedy (1845-1913) and A.N. Benachi sold lots from“the Benachi property”. The four beachfront tracts, two on each side of Benachi Avenue, were conveyed between 1904 and 1912.
In February 1904, William P. Kennedy (1873-1951) acquired the tract west of Benachi Avenue upon which the N.M. Benachi home was apparently situated.(9) William W. Baltar purchased the lot just east of William P. Kennedy in August 1904, from his step father-in-law, Pat Kennedy, and A.N. Benachi for $2100.(10)
In late 1905, William Winslow Baltar (1870-1928) had a two-story home constructed on his lot by J.E. Greene, one of the largest contractors in South Mississippi. The Baltar home cost $2600.(The Biloxi Daily Herald, December 20, 1905, p. 1, c. 4)
The two beachfront lots on the east side of Benachi Avenue were acquired by Martha J. Johnson of Chicago in 1905, and Sarah Kennedy in 1912.(11,12) The “Fabacher House”, now owned by Walter Blessey IV, at present day 948 West Beach, was erected for Rinaldo Everitt on the beachfront lot that he acquired from Martha Johnson in December 1905.(13) The Everitt-Blessey (commonly known as the“Fabacher House”) was probably erected in early 1906.(The Biloxi Daily Herald, December 20, 1905, p. 1, c. 4)
Chancery Court Land Records
1 Harrison County, Mississippi Land Deed Book 5, pp. 515-516.
2. Harrison County, Mississippi Land Deed Book 15, p. 14.
3. ------------------------------------------------- Book 16, pp. 305-306.
4. ------------------------------------------------- Book 40, p. 205.
5. ------------------------------------------------- Book 33, p. 75.
6. ------------------------------------------------- Book 66, p. 419.
7. ------------------------------------------------- Book 55, p. 583.
8. ------------------------------------------------- Book 55, p. 583.
9. ------------------------------------------------- Book 61, p. 37.
10. ------------------------------------------------- Book 90, p. 558.
11. ----------------------------------------- ------- Book 69, p. 51
12. ------------------------------------------ ------ Book 105, p. 445.
13. ----------------------------------------- ------- Book 70, p. 574.
Books and Essays
Ray L. Bellande, From Marseille to Mississippi, (Bellabde: Ocean Springs, Mississippi - 1991)
Mary Louise Christovich and Roulhac Toledano, New Orleans Architecture, Faubourg Treme and the Bayou Road, Volume IV, (Pelican Publishing Company: Gretna, Louisiana-1980).
James G. Derbes and William D. Reeves, “Benachi House and Esplanade Villa”, (2257 Bayou Road and 2216 Esplanade Avenue),(unpublished essay-1998).
Nicholas R. Murray, Hunting For Bears, Orleans Parish, Louisiana Marriages, 1830-1900, (Murray: Hammond, Louisiana).
Bradford O’Keefe Burial Book No. 6, “Anthony Nerlas (sic) Benachi”, (Biloxi Public Library Archives), p. 33.
Soards New Orleans City Directory (1904), (Soards Directory Company Ltd.: New Orleans-1904).
Webster’s New Geographical Dictionary, (Merriam- Webster Inc.: Springfield, Massachusetts-1988), p. 261.
The New Orleans WPA Guide: The Federal Writers Project Guide to 1930s New Orleans,(Pantheon Book: New York-1983).
Family Tree Maker (CD ROM), “Thomas Benachi”, “Lise Benachi”, “Helene B. Waldo”, and“Kenneth Waldo”, Social Security Death Index: United States, 1937-1996, Volume 1 and Volume 2.
2nd District Court of New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana, “The Inventory of Catherine Grund Benachi”, September 25, 1856.(Recorded in Volume 6, Act 141)
Transcription of “Inventory of the Succession of Nicholas M. Benachi”, February 24, 1886. (from James G. Derbes)
Harrison County, Mississippi Chancery Court Cause No. 676, Mrs. A. Benachi v. Marie Botassi, et al,August Term 1894.
Harrison County, Mississippi Chancery Court Cause No. 8286, Estate of B.N. Benachi, May 1922. (see also HARCO Will Book 5, p. 259)
Louisiana Federal Census 1870-Orleans Parish, “Nichol Benachi”, 7th Ward, p. 446.
Louisiana Federal Census1880-Orleans Parish, “N.M. Benachi”, 7th Ward, Roll No. 462, p. 652.
The Biloxi Herald, “Local Happenings”, November 12, 1892.
The Biloxi Herald, “Mrs. Anna Benachi”, November 13, 1897.
The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Doyle-Benachi”, November 7, 1899.
The Biloxi Daily Herald, “West End Yacht Club”, August 7, 1900.
The Biloxi Daily Herald, March 11, 1903.
The Biloxi Daily Herald, “City News”, June 4, 1903.
The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Benachi-Bidault”, July 17, 1903.
The Biloxi Daily Herald,” “Benachi Avenue To Be Shelled”, December 6, 1905.
The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Big Building Improvement”, December 20, 1905.
The Biloxi Daily Herald, “City News”, December 20, 1905.
The Columbus [Georgia] Daily Enquirer, 'A Jacksonville suicide', November 14, 1891, p. 1.
The Daily Delta, October 14, 1858.
The Daily Herald, “Patrick Kennedy, Pioneer Citizen of Biloxi, Passes Away”, March 10, 1913.
The Daily Herald, “Tony Benachi Is Claimed By Death”, February 16, 1916.
The Daily Herald, “Thomas P. McKenna”, July 26, 1920.
The Daily Herald, “Zio Benachi Dead”, February 14, 1923.
The Daily Herald, “John J. Kennedy, Ex-Biloxi Mayor, Dies at Residence”, September 13, 1949.
The Daily Herald, “W.P. Kennedy Sr. Is Buried Sunday With Catholic Services”, December 24, 1951.
The Daily Herald, "Your Coast"-The Biloxi House that changed its address", December 20, 1956.
The Daily Picayune, “Biloxi”, April 1, 1885.
The Daily Picayune, “N.M. Benachi Dead”, February 9, 1886.
The New Orleans Picayune, “Marino Benachi”, September 4, 1853.
The New Orleans Picayune, “Michel Benachi”, September 4, 1853.
The Ocean Springs Record, “Sous Les Chenes”, April 2, 1998.
The New Orleans Picayune, “Mrs. N.M. Benachi”, September 4, 1853.
The Daily Picayune, “Mrs. Nicholas Frangopulo”, February 20, 1886.
The Times Picayune, “D.N. Benachi”, January 28, 1930.
The Times Picayune, "Louis Bidault”, December 12, 1940.
The Times Picayune, “Mrs. Irene Benachi Bidault”, May 18, 1942.
The Times Picayune, “Greek Service Honors Leader”, July 31, 1964.
Baltar Holland-home interview at Biloxi, Mississippi on June 8, 1998.
Herron Kennedy-telephone interview June 11, 1998
James G. Derbes-home interview at New Orleans, Louisiana on June 23, 1998
Alec M. Choremi-letter of July 21, 1998, from Locust Valley, New York 11560.
Image 1-Nicholas M. Benachi-photograph taken by Ray L. Bellande in the Benachi-Torre House at 2257 Bayou Road, New Orleans, Louisiana in March 1998. Courtesy of James G. Derbes.
Image 2-Benachi-Torre House-photograph taken by Ray L. Bellande in March 1998 of 2257 Bayou Road, New Orleans, Louisiana.
Image 3-N.M. Benachi House at Biloxi-photograph taken by Ray L. Bellande of a pencil drawing of the N.M. Benachi House at Biloxi by Kathy Kennedy. Courtesy of Herron Kennedy 119 Benachi Avenue, Biloxi, Mississippi.