The familial name LAMEY has been noted in archival documents as LAMI, LAME, LAMIE, LAMMY, LAMAIS, LANIE, and LEMME. The progenitor of this family in America was Jacques Lamy, the son of Jacques Lamy (ca 1740-1770) and Marguerite de Rossiere. He was born at Meaux, France east of Paris.
Jacques Lamy came to North America in French Colonial Louisiana as a soldier. He married Marie Helene Moreau, the daughter of Joseph Moreau and Marine Jeanne Dauphin. Sergeant Lamy was discharged in 1763, having served in the company of Captain Trente. He lost his life in February 1770, when the Pere de Famille sank on a voyage to France.(De Ville, 19 , p. )
In 1761, Jacques and Marie Helene Lamy had a son, Jean Batiste Lamy (1761-1804+). A daughter, Euphrasie Lamy, was born in November 1769. Jean B. Lamy married Isabel Baudin, the daughter of Louis Baudin and Louisa Lorendine (Laurendine). Their youngest son, Alexandre Antoine Lamy (1804-1890) was the founder of the Lamey family on the Mississippi Gulf Coast.
Alexandre Antoine Lamy
In a civil ritual performed in 1827, Alexandre Antoine Lamy (1804-1890) married Marguerite Constance Ladner (1812-ca 1844), the daughter of John-Baptiste Ladner and Marie-Josephe Morin (Moran). Their union was blessed in the Catholic Church on May 4, 1836. The issue of this marriage were born on Dauphin Island, Alabama: J. Albert Lamey(1828-1850+), William Lamey (1829-1850+), Lucy Lamey (1831-1850+), Arsene Marie Lamey (b. 1834), and Philip Lamey (1835-1880+).
After the demise of Marguerite C. Lamey ca 1844, Alexandre A. Lamey married Darthula Latimer (1827-1876), a native of Indiana, and the daughter of Elisha Latimer (1792-1860+) and Mary Jane Ewing (1792-1877). Their children were: Edward Lamey (b. 1845), Peter Abijah Lamey (1847-1932) married Sarah H. Hamilton (1858-1933) in February 1883; Antoine Lamey (1849-1929) married Louisa Rhodes Wells (1848-1910) in August 1878; James Lamey (1852-1870+), Elizabeth Lamey (1852-1929) married Frederick “Fritz” Hosli (1843-1882) in January 1871 and William J. “Jeff” Rushing (1861-1938) in September 1883; Anna Lamey (1853-1878+) married Peter Cannette(1854-1930) in February 1874; Elise Lamey (1858-1870+), and Mary Lamey (1860-pre 1870)
Philip Lamey (1837-pre-1907) married Catherine “Katie” Hudson (1851-pre-1900) on October 17, 1866. Their children were: Anthony Lamey (1862-1938) married Aline Krohn post 1900; Philip E. “Dink” Lamey (1870-1953) married Annie Hosli (1869-1949) in November 1894; Zeolide Lamey (1873-1931) married W.C. Parks in May 1903; John Lamey (1879-1946) married Elsie Irma Krohn (1892-1928); William Lamey (1880-1945) married Rosa Newman (1880-1908) in February 1899; and Josephine Lamey (1884-1907).(Harrison County, Ms. Circuit Court MRB 5, p. 69, MRB 6, p. 268, MRB, MRB 10, p. 274 )
Philip E. “Dink” Lamey
Philip “Dink” Lamey (1870-1953) and Annie Hosli (1869-1949), the daughter of Henry Hosli and Barbara Hosli (1833-1900+), had married in Harrison County, Mississippi in November 1894. Their children were: John Clifton Lamey (1895-1971), Philip E. Lamey II (1900-1981), Margaret Edwina L. Riggle (1905-1980), William Jasper “Buck” Lamey (1908-1980) and George A. Lamey (1909-1985).( Harrison County, Ms. Circuit Court MRB 10, p. 274 )
The Lamey Ferry was situated very near the present day Lamey Bridge on the Tchoutacabouffa River. It was operated by Antoine Lamey (1849-1929), the son of Alexandre A. Lamey and Darthula Latimer Lamey. Antoine Lamey, called Anthony, married Louisa Rhodes Wells (1848-1910), the second spouse and widow of Berry Wells (1812-1876). She was a Mississippi native born of a Kentucky father and Missouri mother. Antoine Lamey and Louisa R. Wells wedded on August 21, 1878. Their children were: Ella Lamey (1879-1880+), Richard Lamey (1884-1936), and Florian Lamey (1888-1948).(Harrison County, Ms. Circuit Court MRB 7, p. 24)
Berry Wells hailed from Kentucky and had settled in eastern Hancock County, now Harrison County, circa 1836.
1913 Christmas Eve mishaps
It could have been a very sad 1913 Christmas for the settlers in the area near the Lamey Ferry
In October 1911, Annie and Philip Lamey conveyed a strip of land to Harrison County, Mississippi to straighten Hosli Road. This transaction was described as: beginning on the west side of the Tchoutacabouffa River near the ferry landing and leaving the Hosli Road about fifty feet from the river thence go north for a distance of about three-quarters of a mile where it will intersect said Hosli Road the width of the same from beginning to termination to be thirty feet all being in Section 33, T6S-R9W.(HARCO, Ms. Land Deed Bk. 97, p. 469)
Lamey’s Bridge and road improvement
Prior to 1913, there were two circuitous routes from Biloxi to Ramsay Springs. One could either travel the Cedar Lake Road or go through Jackson County to the east. Neither path was in a direct line to the spa. In August 1913, the new road, which would become Mississippi Highway No. 15, from North Biloxi to Ramsay Springs, which would erase twelve miles from the present way, was under construction. F.W. Elmer, County Supervisor, reported that road construction in Harrison County Beat One and Beat Five were progressing well with the utilization of convict labor to grade and surface the road. Grading from Bate’s Still to Lamey’s Ferry was completed and five miles north had been surfaced. On the southern route from Lamey’s Ferry to the Johnson Store, the stumps had been cleared and the roadbed surfaced with clay and shell. A number of older roads were being widened and improved.(The Daily Herald, August 20, 1913, p. 1 and August 27, 1913, p. 8)
In July 1913, the Harrison County Board of Supervisors let a $6300 contract to the Austin Brothers of Atlanta, Georgia to erect a structure across the Tchoutacabouffa River to replace the Lamey Ferry. In November 1913, board member, F.W. Elmer Sr., was appointed to oversee construction of the bridge.(HARCO, Ms. Board of Supervisors Minute Bk. 10, p. 274 and p. 391)
The steel bridge that was being erected across the Tchoutacabouffa River at Lamey’s Ferry was expected to be in operation by the first of December 1913. Another bridge across Hurricane Creek was planned.(The Daily Herald, August 20, 1913, p. 1)
In February 1914, Annie and Philip Lamey sold another thirty-foot wide strip of their land to the people of Harrison County for improvements. This conveyance was described as: beginning at the southwest corner of P. Lamey’s property known as Hosli Road, thence running in a southerly direction to the Tchoutacabouffa River and continuing across said river to the intersection of the aforesaid Hosli Road on the south side of the river in Section 33, T6S-R9W. The above description is intended to cover what is known as the site of Lamey Bridge and approaches thereto.(HARCO, Ms. Land Deed Bk. 108, p. 47)
At its April 1914 meeting, the Harrison County Board of Supervisors accepted the completed work and paid the Austin Brothers for the Tchoutacabouffa River bridge. Philip Lamey was appointed bridge keeper for one year and paid $30 per month for his services.(HARCO, Ms. Board of Supervisors Minute Bk. 11, p. 6 and p. 10)
1925 Land purchase
In February 1925, Annie H. Lamey acquired an additional forty acres of land, the NW/4 of the SE/4 of Section from J.H. Johnson. The consideration was $640. In March 1927, she and Philip Lamey sold to Marjorie Bouvier Rickey that portion of the NW/4 of the SE/4 of Section 33, T6S-R9W lying east of the Tchoutacabouffa River.(HARCO, Ms. Land Deed Bk. 156, p. 206 and Bk. 169, p. 370)
In September 1903, J.H. Johnson began acquiring land in Section 33, T6S-R9W, when he paid George Wells, $240 for eighty acres, the S/2 of the SE/4.(HARCO, Ms. Land Deed Bk. 56, p. 568)
In June 1905, J.H. Johnson bought from Percy J. Wetzel for $800, eighty acres, the N/2 of the SE/4 of Section 33, T6S-R9W.(HARCO, Ms. Land Deed Bk. 69, p. 567)
1952 Land donations
In September 1952, Philip Lamey began land donations to his children. Those receiving acreage were: “Coot” L. Riggle, Dorothy D. Hebert, and William J. Lamey. A description of the Philip Lamey donations follows:
“Coot” L. Riggle
Margaret Edwina L. “Coot” Riggle received thirty acres more or less being that part of the NW/4 of the NW/4 of Section 33, T6S-R9W, lying west of Mississippi Highway No. 57.(HARCO, Ms. Land Deed Bk. 359, p. 305)
Philip Lamey gave Dorothy Hebert one acre more or less lying south of the Tchoutacabouffa River in the NE/4 of the SW/4 of Section 33, T6S-R9W and fifteen acres more or less in the SE/4 of the SW/4 of Section 33, T6S-R9W, lying east of the Tchoutacabouffa River.(HARCO, Ms. Land Deed Bk. 359, p. 306)
William Jasper “Buck” Lamey
Also in Section 33, T6S-R9W, William J. Lamey (1908-1980), called Buck, was given the NE/4 of the NW/4, SE/4 of the NW/4, W/2 of the NE/4, NE/4 of the SW/4 less one-acre south of the Tchoutacabouffa River and the NW/4 of the SE/4, less nine acres sold to Marjorie Bouvier Rickey. Although not mentioned in this donation, the Lamey Cemetery was included in the lands of Buck Lamey. (HARCO, Ms. Land Deed Bk. 359, p. 307)
Before Buck Lamey passed in April 1980, he legated his real property consisting of two hundred thirty-five acres in Section 33, T6S-R9W to Audrey Cleo Cruthirds Lamey (1911-1997), his spouse. His contingent beneficiary was daughter, Helen Louise Lamey Moore (b. 1942). The Buck Lamey lands all in Section 33, T6S-R9W were described as: the NW/4 of the NE/4; SW/4 of the NE/4; NE/4 of the SW/4 north of the Tchoutacabouffa River; SE/4 of the NW/4 west of Lamey Bridge Road; and that part of the NW/4 of the NW/4 east of Lamey Bridge Road.(Harrison County, Ms. Chancery Court Case No. 10074-July 1980)
Corrected warranty deed
In April 1981, the description of Buck Lamey’s lands all in Section 33, T6S-R9W, which were willed to his wife were corrected as follows: the NE/4 of the NW/4; SE/4 of the NW/4; W/2 of the NE/4; NE/4 of the SW/4, less one acre south of the Tchoutacabouffa River; NW/4 of the SE/4, less nine acres sold to Rickey east of the Tchoutacabouffa River; and ten acres more or less in the NW/4 of the NW/4 east of Mississippi Highway No. 57.(HARCO, Ms. 1st JD Land Deed Bk. 109, pp. 607-609)
In April 1981, Audrey C. Lamey conveyed to herself and Helen Louise Lamey Moore, as joint tenants with the right of survivorship, the following lands in Section 33, T6S-R9W: the NE/4 of the NW/4; SE/4 of the NW/4; W/2 of the NE/4; NE/4 of the SW/4, less one acre south of the Tchoutacabouffa River; NW/4 of the SE/4, less nine acres sold to Rickey east of the Tchoutacabouffa River; and ten acres more or less in the NW/4 of the NW/4 east of Mississippi Highway No. 57.(HARCO, Ms. 1st JD Land Deed Bk. 109, pp. 349-350)
Upon Audrey Lamey’s death in July 1997, Helen L. Moore Goff, inherited the family lands in Section 33, T6S-R9W. The Lamey Cemetery is situated upon this acreage.
Lamey Cemetery 2002
In 2002, Helen L. Moore Goff has offered her two hundred plus acres of land for sale. Developers have been creating subdivisions in this area for years and her land is valuable because of its desirable location on the Tchoutacabouffa River and its propinquity to Biloxi. In June 2002, she and the family decided to enlarge the Lamey Cemetery from its present area to a larger outline. Stakes have been set and the land will be surveyed soon.
Ray L. Bellande, “Wells-Mulholland Cemetery”, (Mississippi Coast Historical and Genealogical Society Quarterly, Volume No. 27, No. 1-February 1991).
Nat Cassibry II, Early Mississippi Coast Families, The Ladner Odyssey, (Mississippi Coast Historical and Genealogical Society Quarterly, Special Issue No. 6-January1988).
Winston DeVille, Louisiana Troops 1720-1770, (Press: Ville Platte, Louisiana-197 ).
Jerome Lepre, S.C., Early Mississippi Coast Families, The Cannette-Moore Family, (Mississippi Coast Historical & Genealogical Society: Biloxi, Mississippi-1983).
Jerome Lepre, S.C., Early Mississippi Coast Families, The Krohn Family, (Lepre: New Orleans-1989), pp. 52, 54, and 55.
Jerome Lepre, S.C., Catholic Church Records Diocese of Biloxi, Volume I, (Diocese of Biloxi, Mississippi: Biloxi, Mississippi-1991).
Jerome Lepre, S.C., Gulf Coast Genealogy, The Fountain Family, (Lepre: New Orleans, Louisiana-1992).
Joseph O. Manuel Jr., “Notes on The Lamey Family”, (Mississippi Coast Historical and Genealogical Society Quarterly, Volume No. 11, No. 1-February 1975).
Chancery Court Cases
Harrison County, Mississippi Chancery Court Case No. 10074, “The Last Will and Testament of William Jasper Lamey, aka Buck Lamey”, July 1980.
The Biloxi Daily Herald, “City News”-(Parks-Lamey), May 16, 1903.
The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Deaths”, February 12, 1907.
The Daily Herald, “New Bridges For New Roadway To Ramsay Springs”, August 20, 1913.
The Daily Herald, “Good Progress Made In Road Work”, August 27, 1913.
The Daily Herald, “John Seymour has Narrow Escape In A Ferry Accident”, December 27, 1913.
The Daily Herald, “Lamey Child Dies”, June 4, 1925, p. 3.
The Daily Herald, “Burns Prove Fatal To Girl”, August 25, 1928.
The Daily Herald, “Peter Cannette Dies”, January 13, 1930.
The Daily Herald, “Ira Hosli Killed by Brother-in-law in North Biloxi”, April 6, 1932.
The Daily Herald, “Ira Hosli’s Funeral”, April 8, 1932.
The Daily Herald, “P.B. Lamey Dies”, December 27, 1932.
The Daily Herald, “Tony Lamey Dies”, July 28, 1938.
The Daily Herald, “Mrs. Annie Lamey Dies”, October 29, 1949.
The Daily Herald, “Loren Lamey”, December 27, 1963.
The Daily Herald, “Mrs. Linda Ann Hebert”, February 16, 1981.
The Ocean Springs Record, “Bayou Puerto: A pre-Gulf Hills Chronology, Part XIII, July 7, 2000.
The Sun Herald, “Fred ‘Pappy’ Schlegel”, September 23, 1987.
The Sun Herald, “Nell Marie McKenzie”, July 21, 1996.
The Sun Herald, “Ronald D. Robinson Jr.”, January 20, 1997.
The Sun Herald, “Eddie John Hebert Sr.”, October 14, 1997.
The Sun Herald, “Samuel Edward Moore”, July 7, 2000.
The Sun Herald, “Elnora ‘Joyce’ Schlegel”, July 4, 2006.
The Sun Herald
The Sun Herald
E.J. Hebert Jr., June 4, 2002.
Helen Lamey Moore Goff, 13296 Lamey Bridge Road, June 4, 2002 (228-392-8402)
William Moore, June 4, 2002.
Charles Simon, June 11, 2002.